|National Point of Contact||National Point of Contact|
Camilo Andrés Reyes
Dec 2016-Dec 2018
Oscar Ivan Ojeda Ramirez
Feb 2017 - Feb 2019
|عنوان البريد الإلكتروني هذا محمي من روبوتات السبام. يجب عليك تفعيل الجافاسكربت لرؤيته.||عنوان البريد الإلكتروني هذا محمي من روبوتات السبام. يجب عليك تفعيل الجافاسكربت لرؤيته.||عنوان البريد الإلكتروني هذا محمي من روبوتات السبام. يجب عليك تفعيل الجافاسكربت لرؤيته.|
Welcome to the SGAC Colombia page! On this page you can find anything you need to know regarding our organization, as well as the related space activities that take place in Colombia. Our goal is to get more students and young professionals to participate and get involved in space exploration nor only in our country but in the Latin american and the Caribbean region. Please do not hesitate to contact us. Come join us!
Young Space Activities Overview in Colombia
National Space Perspective: There are different institutions working towards the development of a proper aerospace environment in the country, in technical developments, application of existing technologies, and outreach. Among this institutions can be found the Colombian Air Force Commander and the directors of the National Planning department, the Augustin Codazzi Geographic Institute (IGAC) and the Presidential Agency for the Social Action; and civilian institutions such as Bogota Planetarium, Maloka Interactive Center, Medellin Planetarium, Parque Explora, and Neomundo, places mainly dedicated to outreach activities and courses which expose all science branches to the general public, with sections dedicated exclusively to the space exploration. Likewise, private companies such as Sequoia Space and Ideatech, are developing commercial efforts towards space products and services. Academia, represented by Universidad Nacional de Colombia, with groups like GIDA-UN (Aerospace Research and Development Group) and GCPA (Planetary Sciences and Astrobiology Group), Universidad Sergio Arboleda, Universidad de Antioquia, and Universidad Industrial de Santander among others, are currently undertaking work and research in aerospace related fields; however, a complete catalog of space capabilities is not currently available for the country.
The implementation of the peace agreements signed by the Colombian government and armed groups outside the law and subsequent post-conflict era, opens an enormous opportunity to the development of a space environment in the country, not only as a user of already implemented technologies, but also as a generator of different products, services, and as a research field for the local academia to develop.
Space Activities During 2016
● Outreach activities in the National Astronomical Observatory, “Thursdays under the stars”. GCPA organized weekly events called Coffee and science. GIDA-UN organized events with different experts in the field, like video conferences with NASA personnel
● Participation of Colombians at big international events, such as the 67th International Astronautical Congress, Space Generation Congress 2016, Mars Analogue Simulations Workshop, UN-IAF Workshop on Space Technology for Socio-Economic Benefits, Mars Desert Research Station, and International Space University Space Studies Program, demonstrate the importance of the study, development and implementation of space science for students and young professionals in Colombia.
● Colombian Air Force (FAC by its acronym in Spanish) announced that it’s aiming to launch a nanosatellite for post-conflict surveillance.
Country-Specific Events in 2017
As part of the development plans for Colombia, our planned space related activities for 2017 are:
- Expand and formalize the networking events within the aerospace community in the country
- Begin the planning for the SA-SGW 2018. To be developed in April 2018, in conjunction with the Latin American Astrobiology Congress
- SGx Colombia
- Continue with the World Space Week activities
- Develop an inventory of Space related institutions and capabilities in the country.
Interesting Web Links for the Young Generation in Colombia
Departamento Administrativo de Ciencia, Tecnología e Innovación COLCIENCIAS - The Colombian System on Science, Technology and Innovation
Fuerza Aérea Colombiana - The Colombian Air Force
Colombia’s NPoCs Camilo Reyes and Oscar Ojeda, SGAC member Johanna Pardo and former NASA Astronaut and current AIAA Executive Director Sandra Magnus at 67th IAC in Guadalajara, Mexico