|National Points of Contact|
Dec 2013-Dec 2015
Oct 2012-Oct 2014
Welcome to the SGAC Kenya website! You have found the right place if you are looking for space related information in Kenya. We are a young network of young professionals and university students, trying to promote the ideals of SGAC in a number of educational projects. Our goal is to reach the youth and to educate the people, creating awareness of the benefits of space and building our future in space. Kenya is located in East Africa along the Indian Ocean at the Equator, at the heart of our continent. If you have any questions, contact our team and please join us!
Young Space Activities overview in Kenya
It is acknowledged that Space science can enhance socio-economic development and has potential to provide cost –effective solutions to many humanity are pressing needs. Today all parts of the world are being united by communications satellites while space based sensor systems are continually monitoring the globe. All these are providing the support needed for sustainable development. Recently, Kenya has taken a keen interest in Space Science. SGAC Kenya has so far provided strong networking capabilities, allowing many University Students and young professionals engage in Space related Activities across the country and abroad. Most of the events held have focused on motivating learners pursue Space Science. Areas of Application of Space Science in Kenya include: Communications, Resource Survey, Land use/Land Cover mapping, Weather Analysis, Navigation, Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and geodetic positioning.
|Antony Kinyili, NPoC Kenya giving a
presentation to students from the
school of Environment at a Kenyatta
University lecture hall on 5 February, 2013.
Accomplishments in 2012
- Formation of Science Clubs in different institutions in the country, e.g the Kenyatta University Amateur Astronomy Club that was launched on 12th October 2012.
- Outreach activities to various institutions. Different presentations were given to motivate learners pursue Space Science.
Country-specific events in 2013
- Kenyatta University Green Week 2013(21-25) February. Theme: Energy saving through Sustainable production and Utilization. There will be a session for official presentation of the Space Generation and Advisory Council.
- IST-Africa 2013 Conference & Exhibition 29 - 31 May, Nairobi, Kenya: Ministerial Level Technology Research Conference. http://www.ist-africa.org/conference2013/
- The International Space Weather Initiative (ISWI) and the Scientific committee on Solar Terrestrial Physics (SCOSTEP) have joined hands in running the 2013 Space Science School in Nairobi, Kenya hosted by the Technical University of Kenya. For interested persons, the website for application is http://www.tukenya.ac.ke/conferences/
Interesting Web Links for Young Generation in Kenya
Institute of Physics University of Nairobi
Institute of Physics Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
National Council for Science and Technology
Regional Centre for mapping of Resources for Development
B.sc in Astronomy and Astrophysics at University of Nairobi, Main Campus
B.sc in Physics at Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology
Integration of Nuclear Science and Technology Programme at National Council for Science and Technology
Space and Environmental Science Activities at the National Council for Science and Technology
Remote sensing and Image Processing at the Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development
Antony (Right) and an SGAC member
Nicholas Muinde (Left) after the presentation