|Regional Coordinator||National Point of Contact|
Italy has an active role in the field of space activities since the very beginning being an international forum for discussions - especially for Earth and human protection - and being the third Country in the world in 1964 to have a satellite in orbit, “San Marco I” and the first country to experiment sea launches from the oceanic platform “San Marco” in Kenya starting from 1966 to 1988.
Nowadays, Italy continues to keep this role alive thanks to the Italian Space Agency (ASI) and other industries and firms which are representing the beating core of the Italian contribution to Research and Development in space, not only in Europe, but in the international context as well: among the many achievements of the agency, ASI is the main contributor to the new European launcher Vega.
Thanks to ESA-ESRIN located in Frascati and ASI in Rome, exhibitions, conferences and visits are readily available and often oriented towards the 18-35 year old community in Italy.
The country must continue to grow this domestic interest for outer space, and has to keep on improving cooperation, something that is never enough for the whole international community.
Italy is also a member of the European Space Agency, ESA, since 1972. In its history, Italy had 5 astronauts. In 2009 ESA chose 2 new Italian astronauts: Luca Parmitano (back from ISS after 6 months) and Samantha Cristoforetti (assigned to Expedition 41/42 in 2014).
What are you waiting for? If you are a university student or a young professional, and you have a lively interest in space come, and join us!
If you have any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us and remember, we need your support to spread space passion and knowledge!
Young Space Activities Overview in Italy
Skyward team after the successful
The youth community is becoming increasingly active in promoting space activities and knowledge in the country although this involvement is not spread equally throughout all the country and it is rarely supported by institutions. Skyward Expermental Rocketry and Sapienza Aerospace Students Association are shining examples of this incresing involvment. SGAC Italy is trying to connect these different efforts in order to create a network and represent a more prominent voice when dealing with the institutions.
Space related events in Italy, 2014
- LPVE Land product validation and evolution Frascati (28 - 30 January). The European Space Agency is organising a workshop on calibration, validation and evolution of land products.
- SPARC – Final Workshop Rome (17 January). The European project SPARC (SPace Awareness for Critical Infrastructures), which belongs to the CIPS program (Critical Infrastructures Protection and Security) of the Directorate‐General for Home Affairs of the European Commission will be held in Rome at the Italian Space Agency.
- GIORNATA SCIENTIFICA AIMAS Anzio (7 February). The Italian association of aerospace life science will organize a science day dedicated to aerospace medicine. Limited entrance and limited to nurses and doctors.
- Sentinel-2 for Science WS Frascati (20 - 22 May). The European Space Agency, in the context of the Scientific Exploitation of Operational Missions (SEOM) element, is organising an event dedicated to prepare for scientific exploitation of the Sentinel-2 mission.
- 2nd IAA Conference on Dynamics and Control of Space SystemsRoma, (March 24-26). The second in the series of events organized by the International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) with the cooperation of the American Astronautical Society (AAS) aiming to join specialists in dynamics and control of space systems.
- Metro Areospace Benevento (29-30 May). MetroAerospace aims to join people working in developing instrumentation and measurement method for aerospace. Attention is paid but not limited to new technology for metrology assisted production in aerospace industry, aircraft component measurement, sensors and associated signal conditioning for aerospace, calibration methods for electronic test and measurement for aerospace.
- ForestSAT 2014 Riva del Garda (November 2014). The conference is aimed at promoting the integration of earth observation with other geo-spatial applications and traditional forest and ecological sciences.
- Workshop di Medicina Aeronautica Pratica di Mare (TBC). The Italian association of aerospace life science will organize a workshop at the military airport of Pratica di Mare. Free entrance upon registration.
Interesting Web Links for the Young Generation in Italy
- Milan: Politecnico di Milano, Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Rome: Università degli studi di Roma "La Sapienza", Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
- Turin: Politecnico di Torino, DIASP
- Bologna: "Alma Mater Studiorum" Università di Bologna, Faculty of Aerospace Engineering
- Naples: Seconda Università degli studi di Napoli, Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Padova: Università di Padova, Department of Aerospace and Astronautical Engineering
- Pisa: Università di Pisa, Department of Aerospace Engineering
- Lecce: Università del Salento
- Enna: Università degli studi di Enna "Kore"
Associations affiliated to SGAC
Studies and Learning Initiatives
- Master in Space Policy and Institutions
- Master in Space and Communication Systems
- Master in Space Transportation Systems
- International School of Space Science
- Master on International Business Engineering (Rome)
Other web links