|National Points of Contact|
Dec 2013-Dec 2015
Dec 2013-Dec 2015
Welcome to the Canadian site for the Space Generation Advisory Council!
The Canadian space sector holds many opportunities for students and young professionals. SGAC strives to bring these opportunities to our members and to create new ways for young people to advance Canada’s role in the international space community. To do this, we share news of scholarships, conferences, internships and other opportunities with our network of members across the country. We help university students and young professionals link up with others in the domestic space community. We also provide a unique link to the international space community. SGAC is here to help you build your international space network, offer you leadership opportunities, and give you a voice: at the United Nations, at space agencies, at academic institutions, and in industry. We hope you join us!
Young Space Activities Overview in Canada
There are a number of groups in Canada where young professionals and students can meet to share ideas and projects related to space, engage in public outreach, and expand their professional networks. Depending on your area, you may be able to connect with some of the following organizations:
• Yuri’s Night
• The Planetary Society
• The Canadian Space Society
• The Space Tourism Society of Canada
• The Royal Astronomical Society of Canada
• Students for the Exploration and Development of Space
• Let's Talk Science
• Nerd Nite
• The Canadian Space Commerce Association
Country-Specific Events in 2014
- International Astronautical Congress – Toronto, ON, September 29th – October 3rd 2014.
- International Space University Space Studies Program – Montreal, QC, June 9th – August 8th 2014.
- Space Generation Congress – Toronto, ON, September 25th – 27th.
- Manfred Lachs International Conference on Global Space Governance – Montreal QC, May 29th – 31st 2014.
- 11th Annual Into the Cosmos Symposium, organized by the University of Toronto’s Astronomy and Space Exploration Society, Toronto, ON on January 24th.
- 2nd Annual Queens Space Conference, Kingston, ON, January 24th – 26th 2014.
- Conference on Canadian excellence in research and technology and human health partnership opportunities, Toronto, ON, January 30th 2014.
- More conferences are listed throughout the year at http://www.scoop.it/t/space-conference-news
Interesting Web Links for the Young Generation in Canada
Groups, People, Institutions
Canadian Space Agency
Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute
Canadian Space Society
Canadian Alumni of the International Space University
Student for the Exploration and development of Space Canada
The Planetary Society
Space Tourism Society of Canada
Canadian Space Commerce Association
Toronto Students for the Advancement of Aerospace
Scholarship for the International Space University
Carleton University – Aerospace engineering
École Polytechnique Montréal (French) – Aerospace Engineering
McMaster University – Space Medicine
McGill University – Institute of Air and Space Law
University of Alberta – Centre for Earth Observation Sciences and the Institute for Space Science, Exploration and Technology
Concordia University – Engineering and Space Concordia student group
Laurentian University – Engineering, 2011 NASA Lunabotics challenge winners
Ryerson University – Engineering Graduate Program
University of British Columbia – Home of the UBC Orbit team, which competed in the 2012 Canadian Satellite Design Challenge
University of Calgary – Institute for Space Research
University of Guelph – Controlled Environment Systems Research Facility
University of Manitoba – Home of the UMSATS, which competed in the 2012 Canadian Satellite Design Challenge
University of Saskatchewan – Institute of Space and Atmospheric Studies
University of Toronto – Institute for Aerospace Studies and Space Flight Laboratory
University of Waterloo – Engineering
University of Western Ontario – Canadian Lunar Research Network and the Centre for Planetary Science and Exploration
York University – Earth and Space Science and Engineering and the Earth and Space Science graduate program
Many other universities offer programs in aerospace engineering or in other departments that conduct research projects related to space.