|National Points of Contact|
Ackson Kondwani Mwenda
Dec 2016 - Dec 2018
We are currently looking for two National Points of Contact for Zambia
Click here to find out more!
Since its inception in 2003, SGAC Zambia has continued to grow! Despite Zambia not having Space stations in the global space platform, its social and economic development, largely, depends on the use of space applications, space satellites and services. The engagement and participation in the SGAC activities by young space professionals, students and pupils in Zambia, has tremendously made the network to grow. You are most welcome If you are interested to join us!
Young Space Activities Overview in Zambia
The SGAC group in Zambia strives to promote its activities by organizing various space-related events in Universities, Colleges and Schools. Most of its annual activities take place at the Copperbelt University and the University of Zambia.
In the area of education, SGAC Zambia advocates the introduction of space-related subjects in schools through its outreach programe awareness, Galileo Telescope donations, organising training workshops and seminars under the Galileo Teacher Training Programme (GTTP), space science and astronomy contests and debates. The members of SGAC Zambia are encouraged to participate in annual national and international space events such as the commemoration of Yuri’s Night, Astronomy Without Borders, the World Space Week and national seminars or workshops on space related topics.
For more information, make sure to check out our interesting link section below, and the national report of Zambia in SGAC's 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 Annual Reports.
Country-Specific Events in 2013
- Yuri’s Night (12 April): Young professionals, students and pupils in Zambia are encouraged to get involved in celebrating this special event by sharing their passion for space. Yuri’s Night is a celebration of humanity’s achievements in space and it is celebrated every year in April around the globe to commemorate the first human space flight. To be part of this celebration get involved by visiting Yuri’s night page: http://yurisnight.net/ or contact Misheck Mutuzana and Prospery C. Simpemba.
- Global Astronomy Month (April 2013)
- Astronomy Without Borders, April 2013. Check the official website here or contact Zambia AWB National Coordinator Prospery C. Simpemba
- Seminar on Space Science and Astronomy (8 October)
- World Space Week (4-10 October): “To celebrate each year at the international level the contributions of space science and technology to the betterment of the human condition" -- as declared by the United Nations General Assembly.
- International Cassini Essay Contest (4-27 October). The Contest is open to all pupils from Primary and secondary schools.
Interesting Web Links for the Young Generation in Zambia
Universities and Colleges
Other Interesting Web links
SGAC Zambia Outreach in Schools
Past picture events
Pictures of past events
African Space Science & Policy Institute
Blue Marble Space - Distribution of Marble Space Stickers
Yuri’s Night World Space Party
World Space Week
International Year of Astronomy
Astronomers Without Borders
Galileo Teacher Training Program