National Point of Contact
Welcome to the SGAC Romania page!
Romania’s role in space activities is developing constantly as an EU member state and Member of the European Space Agency. Development can be observed both within the professional and academic sector, and also from a broad perspective within the technical, political and, lately, legal sectors.
Furthermore, Mr. Dumitru Prunariu, the first and only Romanian astronaut, was elected chairman of UN COPUOS. Hence, the role of our country is expected to grow accordingly in all space related activities.
On the 22nd of December 2011, Romania became the 19th full member of European Space Agency. For more information see the ESA page or ROSA page (it is available in Romanian only, but contains photos from the agreement signing ceremony). The New Year saw the Romanian Flag now flying at ESA sites alongside those of other Member States.
We hope that you join SGAC to be a part of developing Romanian space!
Youth Space Activities Overview In Romania
Lately, Romanian institutions have been trying to attract younger audience towards the space mysteries through various programs and events. SGAC members, along with space enthusiast have been an active part during this process. Most of the activities take place under the auspices of the Romanian Space Agency, as well as under those of the engineering, technical and law faculties throughout the country, all of which are particularly oriented in education and outreach. In addition, Romania supports international space related events such as Yuri's Night and World Space Week. There are also new opportunities becoming available for the first time in Romania, such as the ability to complete a PhD in space law at the Institute for Legal Research within the Romanian Academy.
THE FOURTH EDITION OF THE EAST-EUROPEAN COPERNICUS CONFERENCE, 1-2 OCTOBER, BUCHAREST
Romanian Space Agency (ROSA), together with the European Space Agency (ESA), the European
Commission, EURISY and the Romanian Parliament, Chamber of Deputies will organize a new edition of the Copernicus conference, dedicated to the Eastern European Copernicus users and service providers.
The event will take place under the auspices of the Romanian Ministry of Education and Scientific Research on 1 and 2 October 2015 in Bucharest and will be hosted by the Romanian Parliament. Further details are available here.
- ROSA invites teachers to apply for ESA's Summer Teacher Workshop: The "Summer Teachers Workshop 2015" is organized by the European Space Agency (ESA) from 8 to 10 July 2015 at ESA's European Space Research and Technology Centre (ESTEC) in Noordwijk, the Netherlands. The workshop is dedicated to both primary and secondary school teachers of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subjects residing and working in ESA Member or Cooperating States. The deadline for application is Friday 3 April 2015.
- ROSA brings the European Satellite Navigation Competition: Following an agreement signed with Anwendungszentrum GmbH Oberpfaffenhofen (AZO), the Romanian Space Agency (ROSA) became the regional partner of the European Satellite Navigation Competition - ESNC 2015 and this year will organise the first national edition in Romania. The competition will award the best ideas for innovative applications in satellite navigation, offering winners the necessary support and advice to open or develop a business based on their competition ideas.
- DUMITRU-DORIN PRUNARIU PRESENT AT EXPO MILANO 2015: Dumitru-Dorin Prunariu, Honorary President of the Romanian Space Agency (ROSA) and the first Romanian cosmonaut visited Expo Milano last week together with other colleagues from the Association of Space Explorers (ASE) on the occasion of the annual meeting of the Association.
Activities Unfolded in 2015
- PRESIDENT OF THE ROMANIAN SPACE AGENCY (ROSA) TAKES PART AT THE HEAD OF SPACE AGENCIES PANEL, AT THE 31TH SPACE SYMPOSIUM, 13-16 APRIL 2015: Dr. Marius-Ioan Piso, President of the Romanian Space Agency (ROSA), was invited to the 31th edition of the Space Symposium, organised this year between 13-16 April in Colorado Springs, USA. ROSA President participated in the "Space Agency Leaders" panel, held on Tuesday, 14 April, alongside experts from all over the world.
- ROMANIA’S REPRESENTATIVES AT THE FOURTH IAA PLANETARY DEFENSE CONFERENCE: Dumitru-Dorin Prunariu, Honorary President of the Romanian Space Agency (ROSA) and the first Romanian cosmonaut, was one of the three astronauts participating in the fourth Planetary Defense Conference of the International Academy of Astronautics (IAA), along with Oleg Atkov from Russia and Thomas Jones from the United States of America, between 13-17 April 2015 in Frascati, Italy.
- ROSA PRESIDENT IS TAKING PART AT THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON CLIMATE CHANGE & DISASTER MANAGEMENT, 26-28 FEBRUARY 2015, INDIA: The President of the Romanian Space Agency (ROSA), Marius-Ioan Piso, is participating at the International Conference on Climate Change & Disaster Management, which is taking place in Kovalam, Thiruvananthapuram, India, from 26 to 28 February 2015. The event brings together scientists and policy makers from all over the globe and synthesizes opinions in preparation of an IAA Heads of Space Agencies Summit on September 14-15, 2015 in Mexico.
Future Activities and Activities Currently Unfolding
The preselection for the CanSat national competition - Romania 2015 has ended, eight of the 21 registered teams being selected to participate in the national phase, scheduled at Timisoara for the first week of April. The event is organized for the first time in Romania, and it is coordinated by ESERO Romania - the European Space Education Resource Office.
Between 3-5 February, ESERO Romania held a training attended by the coordinating teachers of the eight finalist teams, along with some other teachers of those who enrolled in the preselection together with their teams, but have not qualified for the final.
The eight teams selected for the finals by ESERO Romania in collaboration with the Education Department of the European Space Agency (ESA) based on the quality of their proposals are:
Team Nexus Suceava, from Petru Rareş National College and Ştefan cel Mare National College - Suceava, coordinated by Prof. Şutac Victor
Team TOMIS, from Mircea cel Bătrân National College - Constanța, coordinated by Prof. Băraru Ion
Team Rocket Engineers, from Ienăchiță Văcărescu National College of Târgovişte, coordinated by Prof. Gabriel State
Team Astrobotica Spirit 001 from Astrobotic Club and Carol I National College, team led by Prof. Georgescu Octavian
Team LGM SAT ONE from Grigore Moisil High School, Timişoara, coordinated by Prof. Cucu Dorina
Team Pegas from Nicolae Bălcescu High School and Lucian Blaga High School, Cluj-Napoca, coordinated by Prof. Gavril Tecar and Bâlc Vasile
Team SzMK CanSat, from Székely Mikó High School, Sfântu Gheorghe, coordinated by Prof. Pető Mária
Team INGENIUM from Tudor Vianu National High school of Computer Science, Bucharest, team coordinated by prof. Ioana Stoica.
The launch campaign of the CanSat national competition - Romania 2015 will take place in Timisoara in early April 2015. Then, the CanSats of the finalist teams will be launched at 1 km altitude and will land using a parachute.The winning team of the CanSat national competition will directly qualify to the finals of the European CanSat competition, which will be organised by the European Space Agency (ESA) near Lisboa, Portugal, during 25-28 June 2015.
Rosa Has Organized The Romanian Space Week, 27-29 MAY, BUCHAREST
|ROMANIAN SPACE WEEK POSTER|
The Romanian Space Agency (ROSA), as the coordinating organisation of the National Programme for Space Technology and Advanced Research — STAR, has organized the 2015 edition of the Romanian Space Week (RSW2015), under the auspices of the Romanian Ministry of Education and Scientific Research — National Authority for Scientific Research and Innovation.
The event took place between 27-29 May at the Conference Centre of the National R&D Institute for Aerospace Research “Elie Carafoli” (INCAS) in Bucharest.
Visit ROSA’s website for more information on this event.
Accomplishments In The First Quarter Of 2015
THE ROMANIAN SPACE AGENCY ORGANISED THE ‘ESA ECSS TRAINING’ WORKSHOP, 17-20 FEBRUARY 2015: During 17-20 February 2015, the Romanian Space Agency (ROSA) organized in collaboration with the European Space Agency (ESA) the ‘ESA ECSS Training’ workshop, coordinated by ESA specialists. The event took place at the University of Agronomic Sciences and Veterinary Medicine, in Bucharest, and consisted of a series of modules covering the ECSS currently valid standards (European Cooperation for Space Standardization).
- Younger, Older ... through the Universe (Cu mic, cu mare...prin Univers): This event is organized for school and high school students, as well as for their teachers. It consists of conferences, movie projections, presentations and contests where the participants can win prizes offered by the event sponsors.
- Researchers’ night: It is celebrated in the same evening in over 300 cities in Europe and takes place on the 27th of September.
- World Space Week:It is an international celebration of science and technology, taking place between the 4th and 10th of October.
Furthermore, I recommend you to follow Romania’s Space Agency (ROSA) Facebook Page, so you can be updated about all the events you might be interested in:
Interesting Web Links for the Young Generation in Romania
Unfortunately, many of these sites are available only in Romanian, but we will work on creating English versions. In the meanwhile, if something in particular has raised your interest, you are more than welcome to contact the NPoC.
Yuri's night 2013
World Space Week 2013
ARCA Space - ARCA is a non-profit organization and its main objective is the exploration of space. In order to reach this objective, ARCA is working to the development of cost effective space vehicles.
Inventeaza.ro - Inventeaza.ro is a youth technical creation center that supports innovative initiatives in the technical field.
Romanian Space Agency
Aerospace Engineering Faculty, Politehnica University of Bucharest
Astronomic Observatory, Bucharest
Advanced Studies and Research Center
Institute for Space Science
National Institute for Aerospace Research “Elie Carafoli”
Romanian Academy, Institute for Legal Research
Politehnica University of Bucharest, Faculty of Aerospace Engineering
Aerospace Studies and Mechanical Engineering at University Transilvania, Brasov
Science and Engineering, Technical University of Cluj
Engineering and Telecommunications, Politehnica Timisoara University
Institute for Legal Research, Romanian Academy
University of Bucharest, Faculty of Law
University of Bucharest, Faculty of Physics
Thank you for visiting SGAC Romania page and we are looking forward for you to return!