|National Point of Contact|
Sep 2012 - Sep 2016
May 2015 - May 2017
Ukraine is one of the several countries with a closed-cycle production of rocket and space technology facilities. Considerable scientific potential, large production capacities, which allow positioning Ukraine as a leading space-faring country, are concentrated in the State. Since the earliest days of Ukraine, independent space capabilities have been one of the priorities for the country and along with international cooperation in space activities. To implement the country's space goals, the National Space Agency of Ukraine was created on February 29, 1992. On December 9, 2010, the President of Ukraine passed a new decree to further “optimise the central executive bodies systems.” Under the passed Decree, the National Space Agency of Ukraine is currently being reorganised into State Space Agency of Ukraine (SSAU). More than 20 design offices, industrial enterprises, military units, and scientific organisations and institutions that directly carried on space activities are included in the sphere of SSAU management. The leading enterprises are taking part in the implementation of over 50 international space projects. The most significant of them are: Sea Launch, Dnepr, Land Launch, Cyclone-4, Vega, ISS, RadioAstron, Spectrum, and Galileo. One of the largest telescopes in the world RT-70 is located in Ukraine. Tracking asteroids, space debris and the search for extraterrestrial life are conducted by the telescope.
SGAC Ukraine is also here to support the next generation of space sector leaders so please join us!
Young Space Activities Overview in Ukraine
Special attention is given to space education in Ukraine. Talented youth are sought out at an early age,
and development and maintenance of their interest continues through young adulthood. The National Aerospace Educational Center of Youth (NAECY), named after А.М. Makarov, has been working in this direction for 16 years. This organisation conducts educational activities for pupils and students on the principle "school-university-enterprise". It also holds a number of space projects, such as: an All-Ukrainian Research-Educational Conference of Pupils called "Star Way"; the international youth scientific conference "Human and Space", scientific publications like "Dneprovskaya Orbita"; and other various seminars, presentations and competitions.
Ukraine has many universities that offer technical training to prepare the next generation of space sector leaders. Some examples include the physics department in the Dnipropetrovsk National University, the department of aircraft and space systems of the National Technical University of Ukraine, the radio-technical and rocket Space Technology departments of National Aerospace University “Kharkiv Aviation Institute”, Kharkiv National University of Radio and Electronics and the National Aviation University of Kiev. Students of these universities participate in the implementation of various projects, in cooperation with advanced enterprises, organisations and the State Space Agency of Ukraine.
One of the first such projects was initiated by SSAU and was developed by young adults: the UYS-1 (Ukrainian Youth Sattelite-1). As a result of this project, more satellite design projects are happening at the aerospace universities around Ukraine. For example, work on the creation the first Ukrainian university nanosatellite is underway now. Also, many international projects have been initiated between space universities in Ukraine with universities in Europe, USA, China, and Japan. An example of this is Project CRIST, running under the program TEMPUS-IV, which is funded by the European Commission.
To continue to attract young people into the space sector and to maintain, reinforce and motivate their interest, The Council of Young Ukrainian Space Industry Workers (СYUSIW) was created in 2001. It consists of representatives from 18 major space enterprises in Ukraine. The main areas of activity for the council include: attracting youth to scientific sectors, supporting promising young scientists through scholarships, organizing sporting and cultural activities, and enabling interactions between young adults in various scientific fields.
For more information make sure to check out our interesting link section below.
Country-Specific Events in 2016
- XVIII International Youth Scientific and Practical Conference "Human and Space" will be held under the aegis of International Astronautical Federation on April in Dnipropetrovsk. Annual space conference organized by NAECY. The Conference consists of 23 scientific and practical ways. Participants are students, graduate students, young professionals and young scientists.
- VII All-Ukrainian Scientific and Practical Conference “Aviation and Astronautics” will be held based on Kryvyi Rih’s college of National Aviation University on April 15 in Kryvyi Rih, Dnipropetrovsk region. Participants are students, graduate students, young professionals and young scientists.
- XIV All-Ukrainian Research-Educational Conference of Pupils "Star Way", will be held on April in Dnipropetrovsk. During this event, participants share they knowledge and information in the field of astronomy, physics, natural phenomena and Space ecology, technical creativity and rocket-space modeling.
- XI sports contest of Ukrainian space industry enterprises will be held in June. Goals of this event are: to attract young workers be actively living; to develop and to improve the mass sports and recreation activities at the enterprises of space industry; to promote healthy lifestyles.
- Photo contest among of space industry enterprises workers. Goals of this event are: to develop creative work and public activities of young workers, to show life and activity of Ukrainian space industry enterprises workers, to accumulate historical materials about them.
- Scientific Readings "Dneprovskaya Orbita" will be held in September in Dnipropetrovsk. Scientists and experts consider complex issues related to humanitarian aspects of rocket and space technology.
- Competition "Best young worker of Ukrainian space industry". It is held for promotion and professional growth of the best enterprises workers for great professionalism and making a special contribution to a production process, science development and social life of the enterprise and the Ukrainian space industry.
Interesting Web Links for the Young Generation in Ukraine
Groups, People, Institutions
State Space Agency of Ukraine
Yuzhnoye State Design Office named after Yangel
SE "PA Yuzhny Machine-Bulding Plant named after A. Makarov"
The National Aerospace Educational Center of Youth named after А.М. Makarov
Strategic Missile Forces museum
The Council of Young Ukrainian Space Industry Workers
Dnipropetrovsk National University named after Oles Gonchar
National Aviation University, Kiev
National Technical University of Ukraine “Kyiv Polytechnic Institute"
National Aerospace University “Kharkiv Aviation Institute”
Kharkiv - National University of Radio and Electronics