1 November 2017
After the success of the 2017 Space Generation Congress (SGC) held in Adelaide, Australia, SGAC is beginning preparations for SGC 2018. SGAC is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Congress Deputy Manager for next year's Space Generation Congress.
Deadline for applications: 25 November 2017
About the 17th Space Generation Congress (SGC)
The 17th SGC will take place in Bremen, Germany from 27th - 29th September 2018, in conjunction with the 69th International Astronautical Congress (IAC). SGAC is expanding, and the organisation is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Congress Deputy Manager for next year's Space Generation Congress. The Deputy Manager will work alongside SGC 2018 Manager, Florian Ruhhammer (Germany), and the SGC Organising Team.
The SGC 2018 Deputy Manager will work alongside the SGC 2018 Manager in the preparation of the logistics and overall management of the Space Generation Congress. This role includes overseeing the development of the event, helping to coordinate the organising team, and ensuring another successful Space Generation Congress.
The SGC Deputy Manager is responsible for the implementation of the current year SGC and IAC programme and carries the following tasks and expectations:
Management of the Space Generation Congress preparatory activities including program preparation, scheduling, budgeting, contact with SGAC supporters, etc;
Participation in weekly meetings with the SGC Organising team and execution of action items resulting from meetings
Assistance in the coordination of the SGC Local Organising Committee (LOC) activities
Preparation of the SGAC program for IAC 2018, including SGAC’s workshops and activities at the IAC booth.
The SGC Deputy Manager will report to the SGC Congress Manager and work closely with the SGAC Executive Director and SGAC Chairs.
Upon successful performance on this role, as assessed by the SGAC Executive Director, and Chairs the SGC 2018 Deputy Manager may be promoted to the SGC 2019 Manager at the conclusion of the 2018 event.
Estimated time commitment:
7 hours a week + 3 days of the SGC 2018 + 5 days of the IAC 2018
Duration of term:
1 year, with potential promotion to the manager position for 2019 pursuant to a positive performance assessment by the SGAC Chairs and Executive Director
Note: This is an unpaid volunteer position. Continuation of duties for SGC 2019 is pursuant to acceptable performance in SGC 2018 activities as assessed by the SGAC Executive Director and Chairs.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and below 35 years of age
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work
- Experience/familiarity with the space sector
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel, and google apps
- Professional Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in English
- Awareness of international cooperation principles, concepts and techniques
- Cross Cultural and Communication Awareness: Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international and cultural backgrounds
- Previous event management experience is highly desirable
- Web & Social Media skills are a plus
- Media Design skills are a plus
This is your opportunity to help lead a global event, interact directly with some of today's top leaders in the space sector, work with the next generation of space sector leaders from around the globe and take part in space policy at the United Nations with space agencies, industry and academia.
SGAC will discuss potential assistance for travel and accommodations costs to attend SGC and IAC 2018 with the successful applicant.
How to Apply
To apply please send an email with subject heading: [LAST NAME, 2018 SGC DEPUTY MANAGER] with the following:
- Resume (with headshot photo and date of birth) (limit 2 pages)
- Letter of Intent, detailing your suitability for the role (limit 1 page)
- List of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role.
Only complete applications will be considered.
|Applications Close||25 November 2017 11:59 GMT|
|Review of Applications||26 - 30 November 2017|
|Invitation to Interview||1 - 10 December 2017|
|Announcement of Outcome to Applicants||20 December 2017|
About the Space Geneation Congress
The Space Generation Congress (SGC) is SGAC's annual conference that brings together top young minds from around world to focus on key space topics. The Congress takes place in conjunction with the International Astronautical Congress, and will be held from the 27-29th September 2018 in Bremen, Germany. Participants are top university students and young professionals with a passion for space who are selected from among applicants from our Space Generation international network. With SGC, SGAC aims to hone and promote the voice of the next generation of space sector leaders on the topic of international space development. SGC is proudly endorsed by the United Nations Office of Outer Space Affairs.