The Italian Space Agency (ASI), in collaboration with the Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC), offers up to 3 grants to university students regularly enrolled in a Master’s course (corso di laurea magistrale o specialistica), 2nd level Master’s course or a Doctorate course in an Italian university, to participate in the International Astronautical Congress (IAC) on October 1st-5th, 2018 and in the Space Generation Congress (SGC), that will be held the previous week, on September 27th-29th, in Bremen, Germany.
These grants are part of the Higher Education programmes undertaken by ASI, in the framework of the Memorandum of Understanding between ASI and SGAC, regarding the promotion of conjuncted activities for students and young professionals in the space sector and concerning research topics of interest to the Agency.
Every winner will be awarded a grant with maximum net amount of € 2.500,00 to cover the registration to the congresses and all the other expenses related to the participation in the two events. The grants will be provided after the events, upon presentation of participation certificates.
In order to participate it is mandatory to fulfill the following requirements:
- Being among the authors of an abstract presented at the IAC in one of the following research topics of interest to ASI for this edition:
- Space and society: Space Education and Outreach;
- Infrastructures: Commercial Spaceflight Safety;
- Science and Exploration Space Debris
- Having received the notification of acceptance of the abstract from the International Astronautical Federation (IAF)
- Being the author who will present the paper at the IAC 2018
- Being regularly enrolled at a Master’s course (corso di laurea magistrale o specialistica), a 2nd level Master’s course or a Doctorate course active in an Italian University at the time of the two events
- Having Italian citizenship
The following documents must be submitted in order to apply to the ASI-SGAC grants (see the form attached to the Italian version of this document for more details):
- The abstract of the paper presented at the IAC together with notification of acceptance from the IAF
- A letter specifying the relevance of the paper with respect to the topics of interest mentioned above
- Curriculum Vitae in Europass format
- List of the passed university exams
- Other scientific publications (if applicable).
An ASI committee will select the students by evaluating the candidate’s qualifications and the declared and self-certified competences stated in the application and in the attachments, together with the relevance of the proposed topic with respect to the topics of interest for ASI. Max 70/100 points will be assigned for the evaluation of the titles, competences and relevance of the topic.
Candidates that have been assigned at least 50/100 points in the evaluation mentioned above will be invited to sustain an interview with the commission to be done at the ASI headquarters in Rome or via video conference, during which the candidate will be asked to go deeper in the topic of the paper, his/her research objectives, the originality and the relevance of the topic to ASI interests indicated in this announcement. Max 30/100 points can be assigned to the interview.
The applications must be sent by May 31st, 2018 to the following email address, exclusively from an Italian certified email address: [email protected]
The winners will commit to send the complete paper to the Procedure Manager by September 12th, 2018. Applicants who will not produce the complete paper by that date will be considered renunciatory and the grant will be assigned to the next candidate based on the rankings.
Winners might be asked to participate in the activities organised by ASI during the IAC, to present their paper at the ASI site in Rome and to compile a brief evaluation questionnaire prepared by ASI.
Info and Contacts
Competition Manager: Dott. Sabrina Ricci.
For informations regarding the grants and the procedure please write to [email protected]
For more information about this grant, please visit the ASI website for more information (Italian only).