SGAC is pleased to announce for a second time the Australian Space Generation Innovators Award which will provide support for young, enthusiastic Australian space innovators to attend both the 17th Space Generation Congress and the 69th International Astronautical Congress in Bremen, Germany.
This scholarship provides Australian citizens and/or permanent residents, who are SGAC members and under the age of 35, with funding towards their participation at both events. The aim of this scholarship is for participants to take their experiences back to their local universities, companies and communities in order to enhance the local space industry and foster passions in future generations.
We are grateful to Mr. Ajeet Hansra for making this scholarship possible.
The Australian Space Generation Innovators Award will be open to graduate students and young professionals who are Australian citizens and/or permanent residents.
The submission of the application for the scholarship shall be as follows:
- A one minute video showing the applicant’s motivation for attending the SGC and IAC. The applicant should elaborate on how this experience can inspire them to innovate within, and grow the Australian space sector. The video shall be uploaded to YouTube as a private video, with a URL provided in the application.
- An essay (one page maximum) describing either:
- their current work in Australian space research fields/industry; and/or
- where they see the Australian space industry in ten (10) years from now.
The submission must conform to the scholarship guidelines.
The winner(s) will receive an award of up to 2000 AUD in order to attend SGC 2018 and IAC 2018 in Bremen, Germany. The award will partially cover the expenses for the travel, accommodation and conference registration fees in Bremen. SGAC and its Partner reserve the right to make a decision based on applicant information when making award decisions. The winner(s) have to take responsibility for additional expenses. The scholarship is provided to the winner(s) after all activities and responsibilities are satisfied.
- 17th Space Generation Congress: 27 – 29 September 2018
- 69th International Astronautical Congress: 1 – 5 October 2018
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your complete application using the Scholarships Submission Form. Your submission should follow the guidelines below.
- The scholarship is open to all graduate students and young professionals who are Australian citizens and/or permanent residents.
- All participants shall be SGAC members between the ages of 18 to 35 inclusive (up to the day of their 36th birthday) on 1 October 2018.
- Scholarship organisers and judges are not eligible for this award.
- Winners should not receive support from any other source to attend SGC and IAC. Should winners receive such support midway through the program, SGAC should be informed and solution will be sought.
- All submissions shall be made by 15 April 2018, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadlines will not be considered.
- The essay should not exceed one (1) page in length.
- The video and essay (unlocked PDF document under 5 MB) shall be submitted via the Scholarships Submission Form. You will need to be logged in (https://spacegeneration.org/login) as an SGAC member to access the submission page.
- The language of all submissions shall be English.
- In case of lack of quality of submissions SGAC and its partner have the right to extend and or cancel the scholarship.
Responsibilities of the Winners
- The winning author shall:
- Attend the entire SGC 2018
- Attend the entire IAC 2018
- Support the running of SGC 2018 and the SGAC booth
- Submit a short report (2 pages excluding pictures) and a short video (1 minute) describing his or her experience at SGC 2018 and IAC 2018 for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners
- Meet with the scholarship supporters during IAC 2018, the meeting will be organized by SGAC
These tasks offer great opportunities such as being the rapporteur of a SGC working group and helping with writing a group report, being the front face of SGAC at the SGAC booth and meeting interesting people.
- The award will be paid out after the SGC / IAC 2018, no later than 30 days after fulfilment of all responsibilities listed above.
- In case applicants or the winning author receive funding for SGC 2018 and/or IAC 2018 by any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the scholarship has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where a scholarship is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit SGAC and all affiliated organisers to mention their names, affiliations and headshot picture in connection with the scholarship.
- Copyright of the submitted entry shall remain with the contestants. However, by submitting an entry all contestants agree that SGAC and all affiliated organisers are granted non-exclusive reproduction rights regarding all submitted documents. SGAC and all affiliated organisers may also present ideas and findings generated by this scholarship at relevant conferences.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that SGC 2018 and/or IAC 2018 is cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winning author, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend SGC 2018 and/or IAC 2018 or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
|Submission Deadline||15 April, 2018 – 23:59 GMT|
|Winners announced||22 April 2018|
|Space Generation Congress||27 – 29 September 2018|
|International Astronautical Congress||1 – 5 October 2018|
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Coordinators ([email protected]).
SGAC would like to thank Mr. Ajeet Hansra for his support to establish this scholarship.
If you or your organisation is interested in providing talented students and young professionals with the opportunity to share their work and ideas with global space community, please contact SGAC Scholarships Coordinators (contact above).