Help us Organise the 5th EMER-GEN® in Maui, Hawaii
SGAC and the Maui Economic Development Board are in the process of planning the fifth EMER-GEN® Program in conjunction with the Advanced Maui Optical and Space Surveillance Technologies (AMOS) Conference.
With an intensive 3-day program, September 25-27, 2022, EMER-GEN is a joint initiative of the AMOS Conference and SGAC. The program is designed especially for young professionals and collegiate level students enthusiastic about careers in space.
With the help of advisors from industry, government, academia and NGOs, we created an experience that offers:
- Mentoring with renowned space specialists from the public sector (military and civil), private sector, and nongovernmental organisations
- Networking with other young professionals
- Short courses led by experts drawn from an array of fields related to space situational awareness
- Professional Development sessions to enhance your effectiveness in a global environment
We are currently looking for volunteers to help support this event. If you are an SGAC member who is looking for an opportunity to become more involved in planning an event, this might be the role for you!
Deadline for applications: Extended 5 March 2022
We are seeking up to 2 volunteers to work with the AMOS Conference Team in organizing the event. Tasks will be distributed within the team based on the skills and interests of the volunteers, but will generally include:
- Program Development: interacting with speakers and other contributors to finalize program
- PR and Communications: preparing social media posts and a communication plan, coordinating on-site interviews with SGAC members and alumni
- Logistics: supporting the on-site needs during the event
- Delegate relations: coordinating registration activities on the SGAC side
- Sponsorships and partnerships: Assist with soliciting organisations interested in supporting the event or supporting delegates to attend the Conference
- Closing activities of the event: A closing video, documentation of photos, distribution of all presentations, and preparation of an event report
The volunteers will be working together and with the SGAC Executive Director and the AMOS Conference Team. This is an unpaid volunteer position.
We are looking for volunteers who are able to travel to Hawaii for the EMER-GEN™ event please note:
- If you are required to do so, you must complete the VISA process before travel to Hawaii can be arranged
- Travel plans might change following the evolution of the pandemic
Selected volunteers will be given an opportunity to join the AMOS Conference in Maui as well. Funding opportunities may be offered.
Estimated time commitment: Estimated at an average 3 hours a week. Workload will be higher closer to the event.
Duration of term: April to October 2022.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and below 35 years of age at the time of recruitment
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work
- Strong or competent working knowledge of computer applications and management apps (Google Apps, Microsoft Office Suite)
- Excellent written English
- Speedy email response time
- Ability to attend the event on-site (or online, depending on the evolution of the pandemic)
- Past experience with organising events
- Experience with graphic and video editing software
- Experience with marketing and social media
- Experience in customer service roles
SGAC is a unique, non-governmental, non-profit organisation that empowers students and young professionals to engage directly with the international space community and influence the future of the space industry.
Be a part of leading and shaping our organisation! Benefits of this position include:
- Meeting and working with young space sector leaders from around the world, and with past generations of SGAC members
- Being recognised internationally as part of the organisation’s leadership on the SGAC Team web-page
- Being invited to attend United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space meetings and other conferences as part of the official SGAC delegation
- Building leadership skills and other skills that are directly translatable to your career
- SGAC team members receive discounts on SGAC events, and receive consideration for SGAC Space Generation Leadership Awards and Global Grants Program
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application Form by 5 March 2022 with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- List of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page)
Only complete applications will be considered.
Timeline for applications
|Application Open:||1 February 2022|
|Application Close:||5 March 2022|
|Review of Applications:||7 – 26 March 2022|
|Interview of selected applicants:||30 March – 5 April 2022|
|Announcement of Results:||8 April 2022|