After the success of the 2018 7th Space Generation Fusion Forum held in Colorado Springs, CO – USA, SGAC is beginning preparations for SGFF 2019. The organisation is looking for a professionally qualified young space leader to join SGAC as the SGFF Deputy Manager for next year’s event.
Deadline for applications: 8 July 2018
The 8th Space Generation Fusion Forum will take place in Colorado Springs, USA from 7th – 8th April, 2019 in conjunction with the 35th Space Symposium hosted by the Space Foundation. SGAC is expanding, and the organisation is looking for a professionally qualified young space leader to join SGAC as the SGFF Deputy Manager for next year’s Space Generation Fusion Forum. The Deputy Manager will work alongside SGFF 2019 Manager, Lauren Smith (USA), and the SGFF Organising Team.
The SGFF 2019 Deputy Manager will work together with the SGFF 2019 Manager in the preparation of the logistics and overall management of the Space Generation Fusion Forum. Activities include:
- Assist the SGFF Manager in evaluating applications and selecting the SGFF 2019 organising team
- Support and lead team meetings as delegated by the SGFF Manager; assume Manager responsibilities as delegated if the SGFF Manager is unavailable
- Assist the SGFF Manager in oversight of the organising team, including recruitment, training, and delegating tasks
- Assist in the event decision making and management
- Help identify opportunities for outreach, engagement, and partnerships with other organisations and companies to increase participation and visibility of the SGFF
- Create and maintain reports, schedules, budgets, and other documents as directed by the SGFF Manager and in collaboration with the SGFF organising team when appropriate
- Review lessons learned from previous SGFF events to identify areas of improvement
- Note challenges encountered and best practices for future SGFF events
The SGFF Deputy Manager will report to the SGFF Manager and work closely with the SGAC Executive Director and SGAC Chairs. Upon successful performance on this role and recommendation of the SGAC Co-Chairs, the SGFF 2019 Deputy Manager may be promoted to the 2020 SGFF Manager at the conclusion of the 2019 event, and will be mentored and provided support by the outgoing manager, as well as the Executive Director and Chairs.
Estimated time commitment: Approximately 5 hours/week on average (may increase closer to the event) + 2 days of the SGFF 2019 in Colorado Springs, CO – USA. Availability to be present for the duration of the 35th Space Symposium (7th – 8th April, 2019) is a requirement. It is highly desired that the Deputy Manager is able to arrive one day early for setup and other SGFF preparation activities.
Note: This is an unpaid volunteer position.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and below 34 years of age at the time of SGFF 2019
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work
- Experience/familiarity with the space sector within the USA and internationally
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills
- Strong or competent working knowledge of computer applications and management apps (Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite, Slack, Asana, Google Apps)
- Professional Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in English
- Cross Cultural and Communication Awareness: Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international, cultural, and professional/academic backgrounds
- Previous event management experience is highly desirable
- Experience with SGAC events is a plus
- Web & Social Media skills are a plus
The successful applicant will receive the following:
- Complimentary registration for the 8th SGFF and 35th Space Symposium
- One (1) ticket to the Space Technology Hall of Fame Award Dinner
- Partial compensation for flight and accommodation in the form of an SGAC travel grant
Note: please read the SGAC Travel Policy for Event Managers for more details regarding compensation and how reimbursements will be processed.
SGAC is a unique, non-governmental, non-profit organisation that empowers its student and young professional members to engage directly with the international space community and influence the future of the space industry. As the SGFF Deputy Manager, you will have direct contact with many top industry leaders, today’s next generation of space industry leaders, and opportunities to expand and learn a valuable set of skills in leadership, team management, communications, and event planning. All outputs from the Space Generation Fusion Forum are presented to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UN COPUOS) at its annual general assembly meetings.
How to Apply
To apply, please use the link below to to submit the following items:
- Resume (limit 2 pages)
- Letter of Intent, detailing your suitability and motivation for the role (limit 1 page)
- Examples of 3 past experiences relevant to the position and how they have prepared you for this role
Applications must be submitted here: https://spacegeneration.org/vacancy-app-form.
Only complete applications will be considered.
|Application Open:||8 June 2018|
|Application Close:||8 July, 2018 23:59 GMT (17:59 MST)|
|Review of Applications:||9 July – 18 July 2018|
|Online Interviews of selected pool of applicants:||19 – 31 July 2018|
|Announcement of Results:||1 August 2018|
More information about the Space Generation Fusion Forum
The Space Generation Fusion Forum (SGFF) is an affiliated event of the Space Symposium, hosted annually by the Space Foundation in Colorado Springs, USA. The high-intensity, two-day networking and professional development event exposes delegates to a range of current and relevant space topics, providing opportunities to discuss important issues in the space industry, interacting with other students and young professionals, meeting and engaging with top-level space industry experts, and providing input that is presented to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space. The formatting of the SGFF includes keynote presentations, industry expert panel discussions, interactive sessions for delegates, and participation in the New Gen track at the Space Symposium.