With the increasing number of international partnerships and agreements SGAC is forming with industry, academia, government, and non-governmental organisations, it has become necessary to have additional expertise within the Executive Office to review legal documents that would impact the organisation for years to come.
SGAC is seeking a volunteer member with legal background to help oversee and lead its legal team. Applicants will also be considered for other opportunities on the broader SGAC legal team.
Deadline for applications: 25 February 2017
About the SGAC Legal Team
With the increasing number of contracts and longer term legal issues that SGAC has to focus on as an organization, it became imperative to maintain at hand a team of volunteers to support the Executive Committee in decision making on legal matters. Initially, this took the form of the addition of two legal counsels to the organization in 2015. In 2017, SGAC introduced the legal team with the following aims:
- Review SGAC memoranda of understanding, statement of work and contracts
- Provide support for long term projects such as project group activities requiring legal input
- Examine ongoing agreements that are about to expire/up for review
- Identify areas of legal improvement within SGAC internal process documentation to ensure long term organisational stability
- Take on administrative tasks connected with the registration and the financing of the organisation
The legal team is led by two co-leads who coordinate its activities.
The Legal Team Co-lead will have the following responsibilities:
- Serve as member of SGAC’s Legal Team
- Act as the main point of contact for communications with the Legal Team
- Assign tasks to the members of the Legal Team and oversee the completion of these tasks
- Provide support to the SGAC Executive Committee, Chairs and Executive Director in decision making on legal matters
- Maintain the Legal Team Drive folder and the relevant documentation/templates prepared for the team
- Submit the annual workplan for the Legal Team
- Attend the quarterly meetings with the Executive Director and Chairs to review progress
- Interface with external legal experts supporting SGAC activities
The incoming legal team co-lead will work closely with our current legal team co-lead, Bastian Wick, and report to the SGAC Executive Director.
The Legal Team co-lead is appointed for a term of two years, and may serve two consecutive terms for a maximum of 2 terms total. The position will have a probationary period of 3 months.
Estimated time commitment: 2-3 volunteer hours of SGAC work per week
Necessary Qualifications and Skills
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and being 18-35 years of age for the duration of the appointment
- Must have a law degree and be licensed to provide legal advice in some jurisdiction
- Hands on experience with legal contract documentation & review in a non-academic capacity
- Interest in applying legal background in the aerospace sector
- Business/professional fluency in English
- Ability to respond quickly and efficiently to emails
- Awareness of international cultural cooperation principles, concepts and techniques
- Strong attention to detail
- Familiarity with the SGAC mission and its objectives
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills
- Understanding of the global space sector landscape is preferred but not necessary
- Experience with leading teams and project or organizational management
This is your chance to help shape the future of our organisation. You get to:
- Attend international conferences and invitation to join UN COPUOS meetings as an SGAC representative
- Interact with senior-level leaders in the international space sector
- Work with the next generation of international space sector leaders in the world’s largest youth space network
- Work with space policy experts
- Access relevant space policy materials, documents, magazines, etc.
- Possibilly be nominated for SGAC scholarships such as the Space Generation Leadership Awards or Global Grants
- Benefit from SGAC discounts on event registration for team members
How to Apply
To apply please send an email with subject heading: [LAST NAME, 2018 LEGAL TEAM CO-LEAD] with the following:
- Resume (with headshot and date of birth) (limit 2 pages)
- Letter of Intent, detailing your suitability for the role (limit 1 page)
- Examples of 3 relevant experiences, and how they have prepared you for this role
All applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 25 February 2018.
Only complete applications will be considered. All applicants will also be considered for other roles and opportunities on the SGAC Legal Team.
|Applications Open||1 February 2018|
|Application Close||25 February 2018|
|Review of Applications||25 February – 3 March 2018|
|Invitation to Interview||3 – 15 March 2018|
|Announcement of Outcome||25 March 2018|