SGAC is seeking volunteers to join our Local/Regional Events Coordination Team. The Local/Regional Events Coordination Team is in charge of overseeing the development of different local-level and regional-level events, and acts as the focal point connecting the different team members of SGAC with these events. Multiple positions are open for both local and regional teams offering challenging, rewarding, and professional skill-building experiences. Be a part of leading and shaping the organisation!
Deadline for applications: 25th of August 2018
About Regional/Local/Thematic Events
SGAC team members have been organising events focused on specific topics or countries for many years now. Since 2014, SGAC has initiated a series of regional events, dubbed the Space Generation Workshops (SGWs), which aim to bring together SGAC members and regional space leaders to discuss topics of relevance to the respective region. In 2015, SGAC introduced the SG[country] series of events as its format for local events. The objective is to discuss topics of relevance to the local space community. Thematic events are focused on a specific topic pertaining to the space sector and often organised together with a partner.
The events team is responsible for supporting SGAC events by connecting the different event managers to the SGAC executive teams, as well as providing support for the event planning, preparation and execution. Team members are NOT responsible for directly organizing events, but work directly with the event managers to achieve successful events.
All events have the same management structure with up to two Event Managers and an organising team responsible for the organisation of events. The Local/ Regional Coordinator acts as the SGAC Contact person for the Event Managers, connects the Event Managers with the other SGAC Teams (e.g. Finance Team, Scholarship Team, Communication Team, etc.) which will support the organisation of the event and make sure that the event respects the SGAC overall vision, mission and set of rules.
The Local/Regional Events Coordination Team Member duties are as follows:
- Work closely with the Regional Coordinators and NPoCs to initiate local, regional, and thematic events
- Review proposals received from Event Managers for local, regional, and thematic events
- Provide support to the Event Managers and the organising team for fundraising of regional, local and thematic events
- Connect events with the SGAC PR, web and other SGAC executive office teams and collaborate with different team leaders (e.g. PR, Webteam, Editors, Treasurer, Strategic Partnerships Team, etc) to support the success of the local, regional, and thematic events
- Make sure all local, regional, and thematic events are of similar high quality and comply with the SGAC mission, vision and set of rules
- Document local, regional, and thematic events and create a knowledge base for future NPoCs and RCs
- Relay lessons learned from different previous local and thematic events to the Event Managers
These are appointed volunteer positions. The appointment will be for 2 year, with the possibility of renewal for an additional 2 consecutive years. The volunteer will be included in the Local or Regional Events Coordination Team with Bruno Sarli and Ariane Bouilly (local and thematic events) and Caroline Thro (regional events).
Estimated time commitment: On average 3-5 hours per week
Note: This is an unpaid volunteer position.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website, citizenship of a United Nations Member State and below 33.5 years of age
- Demonstrate leadership and teamwork experience
- Must be well organized and a self-starter
- Detail oriented, professional attitude, reliable
- Working fluency in English is required with an ability to communicate complex concepts with clear terminology and professionalism
- Responsive and quick email turnaround time
- Flexible for regular meeting with the Chairs and the Executive Director (by Skype or GoToMeetings)
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Meeting and working with young space sector leaders from around the world
- Have an opportunity to apply to attend United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space meetings and other conferences as part of the official SGAC delegation
- Building leadership skills and other skills that are directly translatable to your career
- Having a significant impact on SGAC’s image on the international stage
- Developing invaluable experience in managing a professional international team
- Opportunity to work with SGAC’s global sponsors
- Opportunity to work directly with the SGAC Executive Committee and Advisory Board
- SGAC team members receive discounts to attend SGAC events
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application by 25 August 2018 with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- List of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page)
Only complete applications will be considered.
|Application Open:||1 August 2018|
|Application Close:||25 August 2018|
|Review of Applications||25 August to 1 September 2018|
|Online Interview||1-25 September 2018|
|Announcement of Outcome||1 October 2018|