The Middle East Space Leaders Award aims to recognise SGAC members for their contributions to the space field in the SGAC Region of Middle East as well as to provide opportunities to talented individuals to attend the 1st Middle East Space Generation Workshop (ME-SGW) on the 14th – 15th December 2019 to be held in Istanbul, Turkey.
Embracing diversity is the cornerstone of SGAC’s principles. The goal of the Middle East Space Leaders Award is to provide an opportunity for interaction between members of the space sector with diverse geographic and professional backgrounds. The Middle East Space Leaders Award provides funding support for the attendance of international delegates who bring unique and insightful firsthand perspectives to the 1st ME-SGW.
The winners will receive an award in order to attend the
- the 1st Middle East Space Generation Workshop
This award will cover round trip travel costs up to 500 dollars (USD) to attend the Middle East Space Generation Workshop via economy airfare, accommodation, and visa costs for 4 awardees.
The awardees will be presented with a certificate of award during the 1st ME-SGW.
How to Apply
Applications to the Middle East Space Leaders Award are accepted as part of the 1st ME-SGW delegate applications. You can find more information about the 1st ME-SGW here.
Applicants will submit their application through the Middle East Space Leaders Award form below in this page.
- The scholarship is open to all students and young professionals whose country of residence is in in the SGAC region of Middle East. Participants must be SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the age of 18 and 35 years as of the 15th of December 2019.
- To be eligible, applicants should have had at least some past contributions to SGAC, as volunteers, or attending SGAC events.
- Examples of contributions include: attending SGAC events, being a member of an SGAC event team, working with SGAC project groups or being a member of the SGAC team including RCs, NPoCs, Executive Office.
- Scholarship judges and organisers are ineligible for the award.
- Past winners of the Middle East Space Leaders Award are ineligible for this award.
- Winners should not receive support from any other source to the event. Should winners receive such support midway through the program, SGAC should be informed and solution will be sought.
- The language of all submissions must be in English.
- Applicants will submit their application through the Middle East Space Leaders Award application form, below in this page.
- CVs can be submitted via Word document or pdf file uploaded in the application form.
- All submissions must be made by the 15th of October 2019, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Responsibilities of Winners
- The winner shall:
- Attend the 1st ME-SGW in its entirety
- Support the running of the 1st ME-SGW (as moderator or rapporteur)
- Contribute to finalising the 1st ME-SGW report
- Submit a short report (1 page excluding pictures) and a short video (1 minute) describing his or her experience at the 1st ME-SGW for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners
- The award will be paid out after the 1st ME-SGW, and upon fulfilment of all requirements in a suitable manner as determined by the scholarship coordinators, including any report submissions and submissions of expense claims. It will be paid out no later than 30 days after fulfilment of all responsibilities.
- In case applicants receive funding for the 1st ME-SGW by any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage in any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where a competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit SGAC to mention their names, affiliations, and headshot picture in connection with the scholarship.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event the 1st ME-SGW is cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the award winner, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend the 1st ME-SGW is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
- The award is not transferable to another event or individual.
The assessment of applications for the Middle East Space Leaders Award will be evaluated by a panel comprised of SGAC Chairs, Executive Director, Regional Coordinators, Scholarship Team Members and the 1st ME-SGW Manager and Deputy Manager.
Evaluation is based on
Contributions to space sector
Contributions to SGAC
Reason to be selected for the Middle East Space Leaders Award?
How would you leverage this opportunity to grow in the space sector?
What unique perspective do you bring to this Space Generation Workshop?
15th of September 2019, 23:59 GMT
15th of October 2019, 23:59 GMT
Review of applications
15th – 30th of October 2019
Information of successful applicants
1st of November 2019
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Applications to scholarships are available to SGAC members only.
Please log in or register to complete your application to this scholarship.