With an increasing number of international partnerships and agreements SGAC is forming with industry, academia, government, and non-governmental organizations, as well as reforms to SGAC’s internal governance and structure, it has become necessary to have additional expertise to review legal documents that would impact the organization for years to come.
SGAC is seeking volunteer members with experience in looking after the legal affairs of an international non-governmental not-for-profit organization, contracts, memoranda of understanding, and institutional documents to join our Office of the General Counsel.
Deadline for applications: Extended 31st March 2022
- Be a part of the SGAC Office of the General Counsel
- Assist in reviewing SGAC memorandums of understanding, statements of intent, contracts, and other agreements;
- Advise on the day to day legal affairs, including tax and reporting obligations, of an international non-governmental not-for-profit organization with registered offices in the U.S and Austria;
- Provide SGAC with support with potential legal issues
- Provide support for long term projects such as project group activities requiring legal input;
- Examine ongoing agreements that are about to expire/up for review;
- Support the constant improvement of SGAC’s governance by undertaking reviews of the SGAC Bylaws, Statute, and other institutional documents.
- Identify areas of improvement within SGAC internal process documentation to ensure long term organizational stability and take on administrative tasks connected with the registration, intellectual property, and the financing of the organization (endowment etc.)
This volunteer role reports to the SGAC General Counsel(s).
Estimated time commitment: 2 – 3 volunteer hours of SGAC work per week
Location: As with all SGAC positions, meetings and work will be completed virtually. Communication skills and ability to respond in a timely manner are vital.
Necessary Qualifications and Skills
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and 33 years of age or less at the moment of the application
- Must have a law degree, or be a law student. A licence to practice law is not required
- Some experience with legal contract documentation & review in a non-academic capacity.
- Some experience and/or knowledge of U.S and/or Austrian not-for-profit laws is desirable, but not required.
- Interest in applying legal background in the aerospace sector
- Business/professional fluency in English
- Ability to respond quickly and efficiently to emails
- Awareness of international cultural cooperation principles, concepts and techniques
- Strong attention to detail
- Familiarity with the SGAC mission and its objectives
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills
- Understanding of the global space sector landscape is preferred but not necessary
As part of the SGAC Office of the General Counsel you will have the opportunity to network with space industry professionals, academics, and organizations. The successful applicant will also have the opportunity to enhance his/her leadership, business development and management skills, and grow his/her skill sets to work with an international, interdisciplinary, and multicultural team.
Benefits of this position include:
- Meeting and working with young space sector leaders from around the world
- Building leadership skills and other skills that are directly translatable to your career
- Shaping and the strategies, practices and procedures of an international organization
- Having a significant impact on SGAC’s image on the international stage
- Contributing to the growth and sustainability of the organization
This is a voluntary role and has no monetary compensation. Appointment is for a term of 2 years, with the option to extend for a second term.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application Form by Friday, 31 March 2022, with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- List of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page)
Only complete applications will be considered. For any questions, please feel free to contact the SGAC General Counsel, Hamza Hameed, at [email protected].
|Applications Open:||1 March 2022|
|Applications Close:||Extended 31 March 2022|
Review of applications and interviews will be done during the month of March and April.
The outcome of the application will be communicated at the end of April, beginning of May.