This is a paid position. The SGAC Deputy Executive Director is to be based in Vienna, Austria.
SGAC is an internationally recognised global non-governmental, non-profit (US 501(c)3) organisation with more than 15 000 members, which aims to represent university students and young space professionals to the United Nations, space agencies, industry, and academia. The organisation was born out of the UNISPACE III recommendations in 1999, and has strong relationships with the United Nations Office of Outer Space Affairs, and the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space.
Learn more: https://spacegeneration.org/sgc2019
- Support the Executive Director on Strategic issues and subjects
- Support the day-to-day activities of the SGAC office
- Support leading the development and execution of the strategy behind the SGAC, driving workforce development by inspiring students and young professionals, and offering them a platform to discuss key issues of the space industry, interact with current space leaders and share their views about the future of space
- Support establishing and driving global membership
- Support Building and managing partnerships with entities with expertise in education, space science, and student engagement that can help SGAC achieve its goals
- Support seeking to expand the role and involvement of the SGAC at the global level
- Support seeking and maintaining collaborations with Industry organisations, Space Agencies, Government, and Academia to secure resources and support for SGAC achieve its goals
- Keep abreast of relevant trends and best practices in young professionals and student engagement
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and between 18 and 33 years old at the time of the recruitment
- Citizenship of a UN member or observer state located in the region (as listed in the SGAC bylaws)
- Be a motivated young professional or students
- Must be able to legally work in Austria, and be legally paid in the E.U.
- Ability/willingness to live in Vienna, Austria but travel occasionally within or outside the E.U.
- Experience/familiarity with the space sector and its stakeholders is a plus
- Experience and familiarity with SGAC is preferred
- Awareness of international cooperation principles, concepts and techniques
- Cross Cultural and Communication Awareness: Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international and cultural backgrounds
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel, and google apps
- Professional Fluency (Speaking, Listening, Reading, and Writing) in English. Other languages spoken is a plus.
- Responsiveness – Fast response times in email and other forms of communication
- Experience in public speaking is a plus
Management & Business Development skills
- International Relations or Business background is preferred, but not required
- Event Planning and Project Management experience is preferred
- Business Development and Fundraising experience is preferred
- Experience in strategic thinking, problem solving, as well as building, leading, and motivating teams
- Proven success in meeting deadlines and be able to work independently and with teams under pressure during fast-turnaround needs
- Strong attention to detail – eye for Improvement of Processes
- Excellent multi-tasking skills and organisational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with individuals at all levels within an organisation, including high level representatives from Industry, Government, Academia and Agencies
- Ability to flourish with minimal guidance, be proactive, and handle uncertainty
- Ability to work alongside with a full-time Operational Manager
- Self-starter, strong bias for action
This position reports to the SGAC Chairs, and works under the supervision of the SGAC Executive Director. The SGAC Deputy Executive Director acts as a contractor for SGAC, NOT an employee. Deliverables and milestones for the role are determined in the contract for this position.
This is a full-time paid position requiring some availability on evenings and weekends. As the organisation is volunteer-run and our volunteers are based across time zones all over the world, sometimes it will be required to adjust the working hours to meet organisational needs, and also to contribute more than a typical “9-to-5” office environment and 40 hour work week to meet task deadlines. International travel will be required. Passion for what SGAC does is key to the organisation’s success!
This position has a six month trial period.
- Remuneration of 1500 EUR/month during the three month probationary training period, and 1750 EUR/month during the three months after the training period.
- Economy class travel expenses will be covered to attend the Space Generation Congress 2020, 71st International Astronautical Congress in October 2020, and United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UN COPUOS) General Assembly in June 2020.
- Support of attendance to UN Events such as UN COPUOS meetings and other Vienna events as a leader of the SGAC Delegation
- Upon successful completion of the 6 month Deputy Executive Director contract, a performance assessment will be conducted by the SGAC Chairs.
- Provided the performance assessment from the SGAC Chairs is positive, a new contract and additional benefits may be provided. The Deputy Executive Director would then transition to the Executive Director position with a contract that will be renewable on an annual basis.
- Opportunities to network closely with current, high-level international space sector leaders
- Unequalled leadership opportunity and change to lead teams from around the globe
- Special opportunities to contribute to SGAC’s briefings to the United Nations and other industry, agency, and academic organisations in the international space sector
- Meeting and working with young space sector leaders from around the world
- Unequalled leadership opportunity and platform to lead teams from around the globe, building leadership and management skills that are directly translatable to your career
- Having a significant impact on SGAC’s brand and image on the international stage
- Contributing to the growth and sustainability of the organisation
A selection committee comprised of the following members will be involved in the selection of candidates for the interview:
- The SGAC Co-Chairs
- One SGAC Advisory Board Member
- One SGAC Regional Coordinator
- Three SGAC Executive Committee Members
The recommendation of the committee will be taken into account by the SGAC Chairs to determine the next Deputy Executive Director.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please send your application to Matteo Emanuelli, SGAC Chair and Arnau Pons, SGAC Co-Chair, at email@example.com and to Zareen Cheema, SGAC Recruitment Team member, at firstname.lastname@example.org by December 31, 2019 with the following documents as attachments:
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages) (Indicate Nationality and Date of Birth)
- A Letter of Intent (maximum 1 page)
- List of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page)
- Contact information of 3 references (Optional)
Only complete applications will be considered.
|Application Open||1 November 2019|
|Application Close||31 December 2019|
|Review of Applications||1 January – 31 January 2020|
|Interview of selected applicants||1 February – 20 February 2020|
|Announcement of Results||1 March 2020|
|Range Start Date||1 April – 1 July 2020|