01 October 2018
After the success of the 2018 Space Generation Congress (SGC) held in Bremen, Germany, SGAC is beginning preparations for SGC 2019. SGAC is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Congress Deputy Manager for next year’s Space Generation Congress to be held in Washington D.C., United States.
Deadline for applications: 25 October 2018 at 11:59 GMT
About the 18th Space Generation Congress (SGC)
The 18th SGC will take place in Washington D.C., United States from 17th – 19th October 2019, in conjunction with the 70th International Astronautical Congress (IAC). SGAC is expanding and the organisation is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Congress Deputy Manager for next year’s Space Generation Congress. The Deputy Manager will work alongside SGC 2019 Manager, Chris Nie (United States), and the SGC Organising Team.
The SGC 2019 Deputy Manager will work alongside the SGC 2019 Manager in the preparation of the logistics and overall management of the Space Generation Congress. This role includes overseeing the development of the event, helping to coordinate the organising team, and ensuring another successful Space Generation Congress.
The SGC Deputy Manager is responsible for the implementation of the current year SGC and IAC programme and carries the following tasks and expectations:
- Management of the Space Generation Congress preparatory activities including program preparation, scheduling, budgeting, contact with SGAC supporters, etc.
- Participation in weekly meetings with the SGC Organising team and execution of action items resulting from meetings
- Assistance in the coordination of the SGC Local Organising Committee (LOC) activities
- Preparation of the SGAC program for IAC 2019, including SGAC’s workshops and activities at the IAC booth.
The SGC Deputy Manager will report to the SGC Congress Manager and work closely with the SGAC Executive Director and SGAC Chairs.
Upon successful performance in this role, as assessed by the SGAC Executive Director and Chairs, the SGC 2019 Deputy Manager may be promoted to the SGC 2020 Manager at the conclusion of the 2019 event. The Space Generation Congress 2020 will be held in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Estimated time commitment:
10 hours a week + 3 days of the SGC 2019 + 5 days of the IAC 2019
Duration of term:
1 year, with potential promotion to the manager position for 2020 pursuant to a positive performance assessment by the SGAC Chairs and Executive Director
Note: This is an unpaid volunteer position. Continuation of duties for SGC 2020 is pursuant to acceptable performance in SGC 2019 activities as assessed by the SGC Manager, SGAC Executive Director and Chairs.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website, citizenship of a United Nations Member State and below 34 years of age at time of the application deadline.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work
- Experience/familiarity with the space sector and SGAC
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel, google apps, Slack, and Asana
- Professional fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in English
- Awareness of international cooperation principles, concepts and techniques
- Cross-cultural and communication awareness: Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international and cultural backgrounds
- Previous event management experience is highly desirable
- Familiarity with the Middle Eastern culture and space sector is a significant plus
- Familiarity with the United States space sector is a plus
- Web & Social Media skills are a plus
- Media Design skills are a plus
This is your opportunity to help lead a global event, interact directly with some of today’s top leaders in the space sector, work with the next generation of space sector leaders from around the globe and take part in space policy at the United Nations with space agencies, industry and academia.
SGAC will cover the travel, accommodation and registration costs to attend SGC and IAC 2019 with the successful applicant.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application by 25 October 2018 at 11:59 GMT with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent describing why you want to work in this position (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Description of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page, separate and complementary to the Letter of Intent)
Only complete applications will be considered.
Applications open: 01 October 2018
Applications close: 25 October 2018 at 11:59 GMT
Review of application: 25 October – 05 November 2018
Online interviews: 05-10 November 2018
Announcement of results: 20 November 2018
About the Space Generation Congress
The Space Generation Congress (SGC) is SGAC’s annual conference that brings together top young minds from around world to focus on key space topics. The Congress takes place in conjunction with the International Astronautical Congress, and will be held from the 17-19th October 2019 in Washington, D.C. Participants are top university students and young professionals with a passion for space who are selected from among applicants from our Space Generation international network. With SGC, SGAC aims to hone and promote the voice of the next generation of space sector leaders on the topic of international space development. SGC is proudly endorsed by the United Nations Office of Outer Space Affairs.