After the success of the 2019 Space Generation Congress (SGC) held in Washington D.C., United States, SGAC is beginning preparations for SGC 2020. SGAC is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Congress Deputy Manager for next year’s Space Generation Congress.
Deadline for applications: 25 November 2019, 23:59 (GMT)
About the 19th Space Generation Congress (SGC)
The 19th SGC will take place in Dubai, United Arab Emirates from 8th – 10th October 2020, in conjunction with the 71st International Astronautical Congress (IAC). SGAC is expanding, and the organisation is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Congress Deputy Manager for next year’s Space Generation Congress. The Deputy Manager will work alongside SGC 2020 Manager, Davide Petrillo (Italy), and the SGC Organising Team.
The SGC 2020 Deputy Manager will work alongside the SGC 2020 Manager in the preparation of the logistics and overall management of the Space Generation Congress. This role includes overseeing the development of the event, helping to coordinate the organising team, and ensuring another successful Space Generation Congress.
The SGC Deputy Manager is responsible for the implementation of the current year SGC and IAC programme and carries the following tasks and expectations:
- Management of the Space Generation Congress preparatory activities including program preparation, scheduling, budgeting, contact with SGAC supporters, etc;
- Participation in weekly meetings with the SGC Organising team and execution of action items resulting from meetings
- Assistance in the coordination of the SGC Local Organising Committee (LOC) activities
- Preparation of the SGAC program for IAC 2020, including SGAC’s workshops and activities at the IAC booth.
The SGC Deputy Manager will report to the SGC Congress Manager and work closely with the SGAC Executive Director and SGAC Chairs.
Upon successful performance on this role, as assessed by the SGAC Executive Director and Chairs, the SGC 2020 Deputy Manager may be promoted to become the SGC 2021 Manager at the conclusion of the 2020 event. The SGC 2021 will be held in Paris, France from September 23-25 2021.
Estimated time commitment:
14 hours a week + 3 days of the SGC 2020 + 5 days of the IAC 2020
Duration of term:
1 year, with potential promotion to the manager position for 2021 pursuant to a positive performance assessment by the SGAC Chairs and Executive Director
Note: This is an unpaid volunteer position. Continuation of duties for SGC 2021 is pursuant to acceptable performance in SGC 2020 activities as assessed by the SGAC Executive Director and Chairs.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and between 18 and 35 years old by the end of SGC 2021 and IAC 2021 (October 1, 2021). The age limit is calculated from the 18th birthday to the 36th birthday of the applicant.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work
- Experience/familiarity with the space sector
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel, and google apps
- Professional Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in English;
- Awareness of international cooperation principles, concepts and techniques
- Cross Cultural and Communication Awareness: Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international and cultural backgrounds
- Previous event management experience is highly desirable
- Web, Social Media and Media Design skills are a plus
- Knowledge of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) practices is a plus
- Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in Arabic or French is a plus
SGAC will cover the following costs for the successful applicant to travel to the SGC and IAC in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, from 07th October to 16th October, 2020:
- Round-trip travel (economy class)
- Shared accommodation at SGC designated hotel
- Registration fees for SGC and IAC
This is your opportunity to help lead a global event, interact directly with some of today’s top leaders in the space sector, work with the next generation of space sector leaders from around the globe and take part in space policy at the United Nations with space agencies, industry and academia.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application by 25 November 2019 at 11:59 GMT with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent describing why you want to work in this position (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Description of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page, separate and complementary to the Letter of Intent)
Only complete applications will be considered.
Timeline for applications
|Applications close||25 November 2019 23:59 GMT|
|Review of Applications||26 November – 5 December 2019|
|Online Interviews for Select Pool of Applicants||6 – 15 December 2019|
|Announcement of Successful Applicant||20 December 2019|
More information about the Space Generation Congress
The Space Generation Congress (SGC) is SGAC’s annual conference that brings together top young minds from around the world to focus on key space topics. The Congress takes place in conjunction with the International Astronautical Congress, and will be held from the 08-10th October 2020 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Participants are top university students and young professionals with a passion for space who are selected from among applicants from our Space Generation international network. With SGC, SGAC aims to hone and promote the voice of the next generation of space sector leaders on the topic of international space development. SGC is proudly endorsed by the United Nations Office of Outer Space Affairs.