SGAC is looking for a full time intern to work under the supervision of the Executive Director in its headquarter in Vienna, Austria. The internship will have a duration of 4 months from 1st March 2019 – 30th June 2019.
Deadline for applications: 15 January 2019
About the Internship
The intern will work under the direction of the SGAC Executive Director to support SGAC day to day activities in the office, and support preparations for the Space Generation Fusion Forum 2019 to be held in Colorado Springs (USA) as well as the SGAC/UNOOSA side event on Youth2030 at the General Assembly of COPOUS in June 2019.
The SGAC intern together with the SGAC Executive Director report to the SGAC Chairs who act on behalf of the SGAC Executive Committee
Preparation toward Space Generation Fusion Forum (SGFF) in Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
- Support the SGFF event team (up to 15 international volunteers)
- Assist with preparation of any SGAC products (brochures, flyers, diploma etc.) to be used during SGFF
- Assist with the preparation of the SGFF 2-day rundown
- Work together with the SGFF media team and assist with the coordination of the SGFF PR & Communication corner
- Support the team with the SGFF logistic on-site
Preparation toward the SGAC activities at the 35th Space Symposium in Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
- Support the Executive Director for the different SGFF activities (meetings, speeches etc.)
- Assist with preparation of any SGAC side activities during the 35th Space Symposium
Preparation toward the 62nd session of the UN COPUOS General Assembly in Vienna, Austria and the SGAC/United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs side event
- Support the Executive Director with the SGAC delegation, SGAC statement and technical presentation
- Support SGAC with meetings, gatherings and other side activities to COPUOS
- Support SGAC and UNOOSA with the Youth 2030 side event by working closely with the Youth 2030 team (SGAC and UNOOSA), working on the event on-site at the UN, and helping with preparations of the event (including web, social media, paper selections, etc).
- Support SGAC and UNOOSA with the development of the Conference Room Paper to be presented at the 62nd session of the UN COPUOS General Assembly in Vienna, Austria
- Provide guidance to the volunteers and motivate and monitor inter and intra sub-team communication
- Oversee and ensure professional quality outputs from the volunteer team
- Assist the management of the SGAC Office, management of physical and electronic documentation
- Assist with the coordination of the teams (Website, Project Groups, Scholarships, PR and Communications, Recruitment, Finance, Legal, Strategic Partnerships Team, Reports, Memberships, Alumni, Regional and Local events)
- Assist with preparation of any SGAC products before release including papers, reports, web content and brochures
Estimated time commitment: This is a Full-Time position requiring approximately 40 hours per week in accordance to Austrian law.
Necessary Qualifications and Skills
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and being 18-35 years of age for the duration of the appointment
- Ability to work legally at our headquarters in Vienna, Austria (i.e. no visa will be processed by SGAC for this position)
- Ability to travel to Colorado Springs, United States (including ability to get the relevant visa needed to enter the United States if necessary)
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work
- Ability to be proactive and to take initiatives
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications, such as Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel (and the corresponding Google Suite)
- Professional Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in English
- Web & Social Media skills a plus (including the familiarity with Mailchimp, Hootsuite, Slack and WordPress)
- Awareness of international cooperation principles, concepts and techniques
- Cross Cultural Awareness: Establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international and cultural backgrounds
Highly desirable skills:
- Experience with SGAC and participation in past SGAC events is a plus
- Experience with event management is highly desirable (including familiarity with event tools such as Eventbrite, Asana, etc.)
- Familiarity with the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs and the Sustainable Development Goals is a plus
- Familiarity with the USA National Space Council User Advisory Group is a plus
- Knowledge in Space Policy is a plus
- SGAC will pay the intern a honorarium of 900 euros per month for the 4 months of your contract
- SGAC can provide credit/recommendation letter necessary to fulfilling internship requirements in your academic program
Travel and Conferences:
- Round trip travel (from Vienna to Colorado Springs and back), accommodation, registration fees to attend the Space Generation Fusion Forum and the 35th Space Symposium in Colorado Springs USA from the 6th to 12th of April 2019.
- Round trip travel (from Vienna to London), accommodation, registration fees to attend the European Space Generation Workshop in May 2019.
- Attendance at the 62nd session of the UN COPUOS General Assembly in Vienna, Austria and the SGAC/United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs side event
- Per diem benefits as per relevant SGAC policy while travelling on SGAC business to the above conferences
Please note, SGAC does not cover expenses for successful applicant to travel to Vienna, Austria from their current place of residence.
This is your chance to help shape the future of a global space nonprofit. You get to:
- Interact with the different state delegations at UN COPUOS sessions
- Interact with senior-level leaders in the international space sector
- Work with the next generation of international space sector leaders in the world’s largest youth space network
- Work with space policy experts
- Access relevant space policy materials, documents, magazines, etc.
- Possibilly be nominated for SGAC scholarships such as the Space Generation Leadership Awards or Global Grants
- Benefit from SGAC discounts on event registration for team members
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application by 15 January 2019 with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- List of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page)
Only complete applications will be considered.
|Applications Open||1 December 2018|
|Application Close||15 January 2019|
|Review of Applications||15 January – 18 January 2019|
|Invitation to Interview||18 – 25 January 2019|
|Announcement of Outcome||28 January 2019|
|Start of Internship||1 March 2018|