With the increasing number of international partnerships and agreements SGAC is forming with industry, academia, government, and non-governmental organisations, it has become necessary to have additional expertise within the Executive Office to review legal documents that would impact the organisation for years to come. SGAC is seeking a volunteer member with expertise in legal contracts and memoranda to join our legal team as Co-Lead.
Deadline for applications: 25 February 2020
- Serve as a Co-Lead to the SGAC Legal Team
- Review SGAC memoranda of understanding, statement of work and contracts
- Provide SGAC with support with potential legal issues (e.i.: violation of the bylaws or the code of conduct)
- Provide support for long term projects such as project group activities requiring legal input
- Examine ongoing agreements that are about to expire/up for review
- Identify areas of legal improvement within SGAC internal process documentation to ensure long term organisational stability and take on administrative tasks connected with the registration, intellectual property, and the financing of the organisation (endowment etc.)
This volunteer role reports to the SGAC Chairs and Executive Director and is part of the SGAC Executive Committee. It includes significant consultation with the SGAC Chairs, Executive Director, Operations Manager, Treasurer, and the Strategic Partnerships Team.
Estimated time commitment: 2 – 3 volunteer hours of SGAC work per week
Location: As with all SGAC positions, meetings and work will be completed virtually. Communication skills and ability to respond in a timely manner are vital.
Necessary Qualifications and Skills
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and 33 years of age or less at the moment of the application
- Must have a law degree and be licensed to provide legal advice
- Hands-on experience with legal contract documentation & review in a non-academic capacity
- Interest in applying legal background in the aerospace sector
- Business/professional fluency in English
- Ability to respond quickly and efficiently to emails
- Awareness of international cultural cooperation principles, concepts and techniques
- Strong attention to detail
- Familiarity with the SGAC mission and its objectives
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills
- Understanding of the global space sector landscape is preferred but not necessary
As part of the SGAC Legal Team, you will have the opportunity to network with space industry professionals, academics, and organisations. The successful applicant will also have the opportunity to enhance his/her leadership, business development and management skills, and grow his/her skill sets to work with an international, interdisciplinary, and multicultural team.
Benefits of this position include:
- Meeting and working with young space sector leaders from around the world
- Building leadership skills and other skills that are directly translatable to your career
- Shaping and the strategies, practices and procedures of an international organisation
- Having a significant impact on SGAC’s image on the international stage
- Contributing to the growth and sustainability of the organisation
These are voluntary roles have no monetary compensation.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application by 25 February 2020 with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- List of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page)
Only complete applications will be considered.
|Applications Open||1 February 2020|
|Application Close||25 February 2020|
|Review of applications||25 February 2020 – 6 March 2020|
|Interviews of selected applicants||6 – 16 March 2020|
|Announcement of Results||25 March 2020|