Due to the postponement of the IAC 2020 and with the new dates of the 72nd International Astronautical Congress in Dubai (IAC 2021), the Space Generation Congress (SGC) 2021 will be hosted in Dubai, U.A.E., from 21 – 23 October 2021.
SGAC is beginning preparations for SGC 2021. Due to the promotion of the SGC 2020 Manager Davide Petrillo, as SGAC Executive Director, SGAC is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Congress Manager for next year’s Space Generation Congress.
Deadline for applications: 2 November 2020, 23:59 (GMT)
About the 19th Space Generation Congress (SGC)
The 19th SGC will take place in Dubai, United Arab Emirates from 21 – 23 October 2021, in conjunction with the 72nd International Astronautical Congress (IAC). SGAC is expanding, and the organisation is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Congress Manager for next year’s Space Generation Congress. The Manager will work alongside SGC 2021 Deputy Manager and the SGC Organising Team.
The SGC 2021 Manager will work alongside the SGC 2021 Deputy Manager in the preparation of the logistics and overall management of the Space Generation Congress. This role includes overseeing the development of the event, helping to coordinate the organising team, and ensuring another successful Space Generation Congress.
The SGC Manager is responsible for the implementation of the current year SGC and IAC programme and carries the following tasks and expectations:
- Management of the Space Generation Congress preparatory activities including program preparation, scheduling, budgeting, contact with SGAC sponsors and partners, etc;
- Participation in weekly meetings with the SGC Organising team and execution of action items resulting from meetings
- Assistance in the coordination of the SGC Local Organising Committee (LOC) activities
- Preparation of the SGAC program for IAC 2020, including SGAC’s workshops and activities at the IAC booth.
The SGC 2021 Manager will report to the SGAC Executive Director and SGAC Chairs and will get an initial training conducted by the SGAC Executive Director in preparation for the organization of the SGC 2021. After this training period, the SGC Manager will be expected to lead the preparations of SGC and IAC independently and proactively.
The SGC 2021 Manager will sit on the SGAC Executive Committee (as an appointed member). S/he will report directly to the SGAC Executive Director. This is an appointed volunteer position. The appointment will be for 1 year.
Estimated time commitment: 14 hours a week + 3 days of the SGC 2020 + 5 days of the IAC 2020
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and between 18 and 35 years old by the end of SGC 2021 and IAC 2021 (October 29th, 2021). The age limit is calculated from the 18th birthday to the 36th birthday of the applicant.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work
- Experience/familiarity with the space sector
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel, and google apps
- Professional Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in English;
- Awareness of international cooperation principles, concepts and techniques
- Cross Cultural and Communication Awareness: Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international and cultural backgrounds
- Previous event management experience is highly desirable
- Web, Social Media and Media Design skills are a plus
- Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in Arabic is a plus
SGAC will cover the following costs for the successful applicant to travel to the SGC and IAC in Dubai, United Arab Emirates, from 20th October to 29th October, 2021:
- Round-trip travel (economy class)
- Shared accommodation at SGC designated hotel
- Registration fees for SGC and IAC
This is your opportunity to help lead a global event, interact directly with some of today’s top leaders in the space sector, work with the next generation of space sector leaders from around the globe and take part in space policy at the United Nations with space agencies, industry and academia.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application by 2 November 2020 at 11:59 GMT with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent describing why you want to work in this position (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Description of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page, separate and complementary to the Letter of Intent)
Only complete applications will be considered.
Timeline for applications
|Applications close||2 November 2020 23:59 GMT|
|Review of Applications||3 November – 9 November 2020|
|Online Interviews for Select Pool of Applicants||10 – 19 November 2020|
|Announcement of Successful Applicant||20 November 2020|
More information about the Space Generation Congress:
The Space Generation Congress (SGC) is SGAC’s annual conference that brings together top young minds from around the world to focus on key space topics. The Congress takes place in conjunction with the International Astronautical Congress, and will be held from 21 – 23 October 2021 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Participants are top university students and young professionals with a passion for space who are selected from among applicants from our Space Generation international network. With SGC, SGAC aims to hone and promote the voice of the next generation of space sector leaders on the topic of international space development. SGC is proudly endorsed by the United Nations Office of Outer Space Affairs.