SGAC is seeking a volunteer to join our Events Coordination Team as Events Team Coordinator. The Events Coordination Team is in charge of overseeing the development of different local-level and regional-level events, and acts as the focal point connecting the different team members of SGAC with these events. One position is open offering challenging, rewarding, and professional skill-building experiences. Be a part of leading and shaping the organisation!
Deadline for applications: 31 December 2019
About Regional/Local/Partnered and Endorsed Events
SGAC team members have been organising events focused on specific topics or countries for many years now. Since 2014, SGAC has initiated a series of regional events, dubbed the Space Generation Workshops (SGWs), which aim to bring together SGAC members and regional space leaders to discuss topics of relevance to the respective region.
In 2015, SGAC introduced the SG[country] series of events as its format for local events. The objective is to discuss topics of relevance to the local space community.
Partnered Events are organised in partnership with another organisation or constitute a parallel programme to an existing event or conference. Most of the time, the whole event preparations (programme, invitations, delegates, promotion) is done in common agreement with the partner.
Endorsed Events are organised under a specific initiative promoted by other organisations. For instance, the World Space Week is held in October 4-10 annually. SGAC has continuously promoted and supported these initiatives by encouraging its members to organise events. These events are then supported by SGAC.
The Events Coordination team is responsible for supporting SGAC events by connecting the different event managers to the SGAC executive teams, as well as providing support for the event planning, preparation and execution. Team members are NOT responsible for directly organizing events, but work directly with the event managers to achieve successful events.
Positions and Responsibilities
Events Team Coordinator
The Events Team Coordinator duties are as follows:
- Manage the Events Coordination Team Members (currently composed of 2 Events Team Coordinators and 5 Team members)
- Follow the planning of the Regional/Local/Partnered/Endorsed events, support and ensure regular communications with the Managers and Organising Teams
- Work closely with the Regional Coordinators and NPoCs to initiate Regional/Local/Partnered/Endorsed events
- Review of bids/proposals for Regional/Local/Partnered/Endorsed events and work closely with the Event Managers if bids/proposals need complementary information or need to be improved
- Connect the Events Managers with the PR and Communication Team, Web and Data Team, Scholarship Team, Strategic Partnership Team, Treasurer and any other relevant Executive Office teams and collaborate with them to ensure the success of the Regional/Local/Partnered/Endorsed events (in particular to ensure that the event stays on costs and schedule)
- Make sure all Regional/Local/Partnered/Endorsed events are of similar high quality/standards and comply with the SGAC mission, vision and set of rules
- Report directly to the Executive Director/Chairs about the operational activities related to the Regional/Local/Partnered/Endorsed events
The Events Coordination Team Coordinator will sit on the SGAC Executive Committee (as an appointed member). As such, the Events Coordination Team Coordinator shall attend the Monthly Executive Committee meeting, and other meetings organised by other teams such as the Strategic Partnerships Team.
This is an appointed volunteer position. The appointment will be for 2 years with the possibility of renewal for additional 2 consecutive years.
The appointment will include a 1-month transition period with the outgoing Events Coordination Team Coordinator, Ariane Bouilly.
Note: This is an unpaid volunteer position.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website, citizenship of a United Nations Member State and below 33.5 years of age
- Demonstrate leadership and teamwork experience
- Must be well organized and a self-starter
- Detail oriented, professional attitude, reliable
- Working fluency in English is required with an ability to communicate complex concepts with clear terminology and professionalism
- Responsive and quick email turnaround time
- Flexible for regular meeting (by Skype or GoToMeetings)
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word
- Meeting and working with young space sector leaders from around the world
- Have an opportunity to apply to attend United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space meetings and other conferences as part of the official SGAC delegation
- Building leadership skills and other skills that are directly translatable to your career
- Having a significant impact on SGAC’s image on the international stage
- Developing invaluable experience in managing a professional international team
- Opportunity to work with SGAC’s global sponsors
- Opportunity to work directly with the SGAC Executive Committee and Advisory Board
- SGAC team members receive discounts to attend SGAC events
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application by 31 December 2019 with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- List of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page)
Only complete applications will be considered.
|Application Open||1 December 2019|
|Application Close||11 December 2019|
|Review of Applications||11 – 17 December 2019|
|Online Interview||17 – 22 December 2019|
|Announcement of Outcome||23 December 2019|