SGAC-SSPI Essay Competition
The Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC), the Future Space Leaders Foundation (FSLF), SATELLITE, organizers of the SGx2020, have joined forces with Space & Satellite Professionals Internationals (SSPI) to bring one person to attend the SGx2020 on March 9, providing complimentary entrance to SATELLITE on March 10 and an invitation to the SSPI Space & Satellite Hall of Fame Celebration at SATELLITE. SGx and SSPI activities during SATELLITE are hosted in Washington, DC, USA, on 9-10 March 2020.
Application Deadline: 10th February 2020 23:59 GMT
SGx2020 is a technology-focused event that will bring together young professionals, industry experts, and government leaders to discuss pressing issues and innovative ideas in an exciting way. Join in for a fast-paced and engaging discussion! More info here.
SATELLITE is the world-class conference consisting of the most relevant and important topics facing both the satellite industry and end-users and gathers a diverse group of thought leaders to share their viewpoints. The format and content are built specifically with you in mind, designed so you can easily chart a path during SATELLITE week that will benefit your business. Read about SATELLITE here.
The SSPI Space & Satellite Hall of Fame Celebration welcomes the C-Suite of the space and satellite industry, members of the Hall of Fame and 20 Under 35, and SSPI Corporate Members and their invited guests. The Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony – honoring legendary contributors to the success of the industry in service to the world – is followed by an elegant reception with plenty of time for networking. Read more about it here.
The essay competition
Changing How We See the Earth
The next few years will see an explosion of private-sector earth observation constellations operating in many different frequencies from visible light to microwave and infrared. How may this wealth of data change how businesses and governments operate, and how the world’s citizens relate to their home planet? Please write a short essay (max 500 words) addressing this question and topic and submit it.
The selected winner will:
- Be granted free entrance to SGx2020 on Monday, 9 March 2020,
- Receive complimentary entrance for the Tuesday, March 10th of SATELLITE 2020.
- Honored to the private SSPI event hosted on Tuesday, March 10th.
- The winner will not be reimbursed for SATELLITE or SGx passes obtained before the conclusion of this competition.
- The competition winner will not be cover travel/accommodation/visa costs
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to
Please submit your documents as unlocked PDF files. Your name should be included at the top of all pages.
Your submission should follow the competition guidelines below.
- Participants must be eligible SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the ages of 18 and 35 years as of the 9th of March 2020
- Scholarship judges and organizers are ineligible for the award.
- The applicant must not have been awarded any other scholarships to attend SATELLITE and related activities.
- The language of all submissions must be in English.
- The submission is due as an unlocked PDF document under 3 MB. Your name should be included at the top of all pages.
- All submissions must be made by February 10, 2020, 23:59 GMT.
Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered
Responsibilities of the Winners
The winners shall:
- Attend SGx2020 on March 9, 2020
- Attend the SSPI private event during SATELLITE on March 10, 2020
- Submit a short report (1 pages excluding pictures) detailing their experience at SGx2020 and the SSPI activities at SATELLITE2020 for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners
- All responsibilities shall be fulfilled and reports etc. submitted not later than April 30th, 2020.
- The competition winner will be asked to readily coordinate with SGx, SATELLITE and SSPI teams. The winner will receive an entry pass for SGx, SATELLITE (valid on March 10) and invited to a private SSPI event.
- The winner will not receive any reimbursement as a consequence of this competition.
- Please note: the winner will not be reimbursed for SATELLITE or SGx passes obtained before the conclusion of this competition.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit the SGAC to use their names, affiliations, and headshot photo in connection with the scholarship. This also applies to the essay that is submitted: portions of this essay could be used for promotional purposes (the authors, of course, will be credited for the content).
- Copyright of the submitted entry shall remain with the contestants. However, by submitting an entry all contestants agree that SGAC and all affiliated organizers are granted non-exclusive reproduction rights regarding all submitted papers. SGAC and all affiliated organizers may also present ideas and findings generated by this competition at relevant conferences.
- Organizers shall not be responsible in the event that SGx and/or SATELLITE are cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winning author, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- Organizers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend SGx or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case the award offer shall become void.
- Organizers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
- The award is not transferable to another event or individual.
Applications will be evaluated by a panel comprised of SSPI representatives, SGx Organizing Team and potentially other SGAC representatives.
The following points will be assessed:
- Relevance to the topic
- General quality of writing
- Alignment to SSPI’s mission
We look forward to your contribution and thank you for taking part in this space endeavor!
10 February 2020, 23:59 GMT
Announcement of Results:
19 February 2020
SGx and SSPI Activities at SATELLITE:
9 – 10 March 2020
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Coordinators ([email protected]).