After the success of the 2022 Space Generation Congress (SGC) held in Paris, France, SGAC is beginning preparations for SGC 2023! SGAC is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Congress Manager for next year’s event.!
Deadline for applications: 25 October 2022, 23:59 (GMT)
About the 21st Space Generation Congress (SGC)
The 21st SGC will take place in Baku, Azerbaijan from 28 to 30 September 2023, in conjunction with the 74th International Astronautical Congress (IAC).
This event is SGAC’s flagship event in any given year. Taking place in Baku in 2023, the event will showcase SGAC’s global footprint and highlight all the values SGAC stands for. The Manager will work alongside the Deputy Manager, SGAC Executive Director and the SGC 2023 Organising Team.
SGC 2023 Manager Responsibilities
The SGC 2023 Manager will work alongside the SGC 2023 Deputy Manager in the preparation of the logistics, programming, communications, and the overall management of the Space Generation Congress. This role includes overseeing the ideation, development, and organization of the event, managing and coordinating the organizing team, and ensuring another successful Space Generation Congress.
The SGC Manager is responsible for the implementation of SGC and IAC 2023 programme and carries the following tasks and expectations:
- Management of the Space Generation Congress preparatory activities including program preparation, sponsorship proposals, scheduling, budgeting, and contact with SGAC sponsors and partners, etc.
- This will include coordinating the logistics and planning of all SGC activities including working groups, panels, side events, social events, and the closing dinner.
- Participation in weekly meetings with the SGC Organising team. Members of the SGAC Executive Committee, and execution of action items resulting from meetings.
- This will include having a detailed plan of action which the Manager will regularly report on and be responsible for.
- Assistance in the coordination of the SGC Local Organising Committee (LOC) activities.
- Preparation of the SGAC program for IAC 2023, including SGAC’s workshops and activities at the IAC booth.
- Delivering the event in Baku with very active in-person presence for the entire week of the event as well as in-person presence at the IAC 2023.
The SGC 2023 Manager will report to the SGAC Executive Director and SGAC Chairs and will get an initial training conducted by the SGAC Executive Director in preparation for the organization of SGC 2023. After this training period, the SGC Manager will be expected to lead the preparations of SGC and IAC independently and proactively.
The SGC 2023 Manager will become part of the SGAC Executive Committee (as an appointed member). S/he will report directly to the SGAC Executive Director. This is an appointed volunteer position. The appointment will be for 1 year.
Estimated time commitment: 15 hours a week + 3 days of the SGC 2023 + 5 days of the IAC 2023. The amount of time this role consumes will increase as the event approaches.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and between 18 and 35 years old by the end of SGC 2021 and IAC 2021 (October 29th, 2021). The age limit is calculated from the 18th birthday to the 36th birthday of the applicant;
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work;
- Experience/familiarity with the space sector;
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills. Extensive experience working with volunteers is desirable;
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications, such as the Google Suite (including Google Docs, Slides, Sheets, etc), and Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel, as well as collaborating tools such as Slack, Zoom, and Teams.;
- Professional Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in English;
- Awareness of international cooperation principles, concepts and techniques;
- Cross Cultural and Communication Awareness: Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international and cultural backgrounds;
- Previous event management experience is highly desirable;
- Web, Social Media and Media Design skills are a plus;
- Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in Azeri (SGC 2023) and Italian (SGC 2024) is a plus.
The successful applicant will receive the following:
- Registration fees for SGC
- Partial compensation for flights and accommodation for SGC 2023 and SGC 2024 (For the SGC 2023 Deputy Manager) in the form of an SGAC travel grant
- Please read the SGAC Travel Policy for Event Managers for more details regarding compensation and how reimbursements will be processed.
This is your opportunity to help lead the most important student and YP focussed event in the space sector, interact directly with some of today’s top leaders in the industry, work with the next generation of space leaders from around the globe and take part in the advancement of space science and policy discussions with space agencies, industry and academia.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application by 25 October 2022 at 11:59 GMT with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent describing why you want to work in this position (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Description of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page, separate and complementary to the Letter of Intent)
- Recommendations letters are a plus
Only complete applications will be considered.
|Applications Open:||5 October 2022|
|Applications Close:||25 October 2022|
Review of applications and interviews will be done during the months of October and November.
The outcome of the application will be communicated at the end of November/beginning of December.
More information about the Space Generation Congress:
The Space Generation Congress (SGC) is SGAC’s annual conference that brings together top young minds from around the world to focus on key space topics. The Congress takes place in conjunction with the International Astronautical Congress, and will be held from 28 – 30 September 2023 in Baku, Azerbaijan. Participants are top university students and young professionals with a passion for space who are selected from among applicants from our Space Generation international network. With SGC, SGAC aims to hone and promote the voice of the next generation of space sector leaders on the topic of international space development. SGC is proudly endorsed by the United Nations Office of Outer Space Affairs.