The Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC) is beginning preparations for the 2023 11th Space Generation Fusion Forum (SGFF) to be held in Colorado Springs, CO – USA on April 15-17. The organization is seeking a professionally qualified young space leader to join the SGAC as the SGFF 2023 Deputy Manager.
Deadline for applications: Extended 15 July 2022
The 2023 11th Space Generation Fusion Forum will take place in Colorado Springs, CO – USA on April 15-17, 2023 in conjunction with the 38th Space Symposium hosted by the Space Foundation. SGAC is expanding, and the organization is looking for a professionally qualified young space leader to join SGAC as the Deputy Manager for next year’s SGFF. The Deputy Manager will work alongside the SGFF 2022 Deputy Manager, Simon Shuham (United States), to become Manager in 2023, and the SGFF 2023 Organizing Team.
SGFF 2023 Responsibilities
The SGFF 2023 Deputy Manager will work together with the SGFF 2023 Manager in preparation of the logistics and overall management of the Space Generation Fusion Forum 2023. Activities include:
- Assist the SGFF Manager in evaluating applications and selecting the SGFF 2023 organizing team
- Support and lead team meetings as delegated by the SGFF Manager; assume Manager responsibilities as delegated if the SGFF Manager is unavailable
- Assist the SGFF Manager in oversight of the organizing team, including recruitment, training, and delegating tasks
- Assist in the event decision making and management
- Help identify opportunities for outreach, engagement, and partnerships with other organizations and companies to increase participation and visibility of SGFF
- Create and maintain reports, schedules, budgets, and other documents as directed by the SGFF Manager and in collaboration with the SGFF organizing team, when appropriate
- Review lessons learned from previous SGFF events to identify areas of improvement
- Note challenges encountered and best practices for future SGFF events
The SGFF Deputy Manager will report to the SGFF Manager and work closely with the SGAC Executive Director and SGAC Chairs. Upon successful performance on this role and recommendation of the SGAC Co-Chairs, the SGFF 2023 Deputy Manager may be promoted to the 2024 SGFF Manager at the conclusion of the 2023 event, and will be mentored and provided with support by the outgoing manager, as well as the Executive Director and Chairs.
Estimated time commitment:
Approximately 10 hours/week on average (may increase closer to the event) + 3 days of the SGFF 2022 in Colorado Springs, CO – USA. Availability to be present for the duration of the 37th Space Symposium (17-20 April 2023) is also a requirement. It is highly desired that the Deputy Manager is able to arrive one day early for setup and other SGFF preparation activities.
Note: This is an unpaid volunteer position.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and between 18 and 35 years old (inclusive) by the end of SGFF 2024 and Space Symposium 2024. The age limit is calculated from the 18th birthday to the 36th birthday of the applicant.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work
- Experience/familiarity with the space sector within the USA and internationally
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills
- Strong or competent working knowledge of computer applications and management apps (Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Suite, Slack, Asana, Google Apps)
- Professional Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in English
- Cross Cultural and Communication Awareness: Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international, cultural, and professional/academic backgrounds
- Previous event management experience is highly desirable
- Experience with SGAC events is highly desirable
- Web & Social Media skills are a plus
The successful applicant will receive the following:
- Complimentary registration for the 11th SGFF and 38th Space Symposium
- One (1) ticket to the Space Technology Hall of Fame Award Dinner (at the 38th Space Symposium)
- Partial compensation for flights and accommodation for SGFF 2023 and SGFF 2024 in the form of an SGAC travel grant
Please read the SGAC Travel Policy for Event Managers for more details regarding compensation and how reimbursements will be processed.
SGAC is a unique, non-governmental, non-profit organization that empowers its student and young professional members to engage directly with the international space community and influence the future of the space industry. As the SGFF Deputy Manager, you will have direct contact with many top industry leaders, today’s next generation of space industry leaders, and opportunities to expand and learn a valuable set of skills in leadership, team management, communications, and event planning. All outputs from the Space Generation Fusion Forum are presented to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UN COPUOS) at its annual general assembly meeting.
How to Apply
To apply, please use the link below to submit the following items:
- Resume (limit 2 pages)
- Letter of Intent, detailing your suitability and motivation for the role (limit 1 page)
- Examples of 3 past experiences relevant to the position and how they have prepared you for this role
Applications must be submitted HERE.
Only complete applications will be considered.
Timeline for applications
|Applications Open:||2 June, 2022|
|Applications close:||Extended 15 July, 2022 23:59 GMT (17:59 MST)|
|Review of Applications:||15 June – 20 August 2022|
|Online Interviews for Select Pool of Applicants:||Late August 2022|
|Announcement of Successful Applicant:||Early September 2022|
More information about the Space Generation Fusion Forum
The Space Generation Fusion Forum (SGFF) is an affiliated event of the Space Symposium, hosted annually by the Space Foundation in Colorado Springs, USA. The high-intensity, two-day networking and professional development event exposes delegates to a range of current and relevant space topics, providing opportunities to discuss important issues in the space industry, interacting with other students and young professionals, meeting and engaging with top-level space industry experts, and providing input that is presented to the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space. The formatting of the SGFF includes keynote presentations, industry expert panel discussions, interactive sessions for delegates, and participation in the New Gen track at the Space Symposium.
For more information, please check the SGFF 2022 webpage