Space Generation Congress Deputy Manager call
After the success of the 2021 Space Generation Congress (SGC) held in Dubai, UAE, SGAC is beginning preparations for SGC 2022. SGAC is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Congress Deputy Manager for next year’s Space Generation Congress to be held in Paris, France.
Deadline for applications: 23 January 2022 at 11:59 GMT
About the 20th Space Generation Congress (SGC)
The 20th SGC will take place in Paris, France from 14th – 16th September 2022, in conjunction with the 73rd International Astronautical Congress (IAC). SGAC is expanding and the organisation is looking for a highly motivated young space leader to join SGAC as the Congress Deputy Manager for next year’s Space Generation Congress. The Deputy Manager will work alongside SGC 2022 Manager, Victoria Carter-Cortez, and the SGC 2022 Organising Team.
The SGC 2022 Deputy Manager will work alongside the SGC 2022 Manager in the preparation of the logistics and overall management of the Space Generation Congress. This role includes overseeing the development of the event, helping to coordinate the organising team, and ensuring another successful Space Generation Congress.
The SGC Deputy Manager is responsible for the implementation of the current year SGC and IAC programme and carries the following tasks and expectations:
- Management of the Space Generation Congress preparatory activities including program preparation, scheduling, budgeting, contact with SGAC supporters, etc;
- Participation in weekly meetings with the SGC Organising team and execution of action items resulting from meetings
- Assistance in the coordination of the SGC Local Organising Committee (LOC) activities
- Preparation of the SGAC program for IAC 2022, including SGAC’s workshops and activities at the IAC booth.
The SGC Deputy Manager will report to the SGC Congress Manager and work closely with the SGAC Executive Director and SGAC Chairs.
Upon successful performance in this role, as assessed by the SGAC Executive Director and Chairs, the SGC 2022 Deputy Manager may be promoted to become the SGC 2023 Manager at the conclusion of the 2022 event. The SGC 2023 will be held in Baku, Azerbaijan.
Estimated time commitment: 14 hours a week + 3 days of the SGC 2022 + 5 days of the IAC 2022
Duration of term: 1 year, with potential promotion to the manager position for 2023 pursuant to a positive performance assessment by the SGAC Chairs and Executive Director
Note: This is an unpaid volunteer position. Continuation of duties for SGC 2023 is pursuant to acceptable performance in SGC 2022 activities as assessed by the SGAC Executive Director and Chairs.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website and between 18 and 35 years old by the end of SGC 2022 and IAC 2022 (September 22nd, 2022). The age limit is calculated from the 18th birthday to the 36th birthday of the applicant.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, quick turnaround international environment and meet deadlines without compromising the quality of work
- Experience/familiarity with the space sector
- Teamwork capacity and proven leadership skills
- Strong working knowledge of computer applications, such as Microsoft Word and Excel, and google apps
- Professional Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in English;
- Awareness of international cooperation principles, concepts and techniques
- Cross Cultural and Communication Awareness: Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with people from various international and cultural backgrounds
- Previous event management experience is highly desirable
- Web, Social Media and Media Design skills are a plus
- Knowledge of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) practices is a plus
- Fluency (Speaking, Reading, and Writing) in French is a plus
The successful applicant will receive the following:
Registration fees for SGC
Partial compensation for flights and accommodation for SGC 2022 and SGC 2023 in the form of an SGAC travel grant
Please read the SGAC Travel Policy for Event Managers for more details regarding compensation and how reimbursements will be processed.
This is your opportunity to help lead a global event, interact directly with some of today’s top leaders in the space sector, work with the next generation of space sector leaders from around the globe and take part in space policy at the United Nations with space agencies, industry and academia.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application by 23 January 2022 at 11:59 GMT with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent describing why you want to work in this position (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Description of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page, separate and complementary to the Letter of Intent)
Only complete applications will be considered.
Timeline for applications
23 January 2022 23:59 GMT
Review of Applications
24 January – 30 January 2022
Online Interviews for Select Pool of Applicants
30 Jan – 13 Feb 2022
Announcement of Successful Applicant
14 February 2022
More information about the Space Generation Congress
The Space Generation Congress (SGC) is SGAC’s annual conference that brings together top young minds from around the world to focus on key space topics. The Congress takes place in conjunction with the International Astronautical Congress, and will be held from the 14th – 16th September 2022 in Paris, France. Participants are top university students and young professionals with a passion for space who are selected from among applicants from our Space Generation international network. With SGC, SGAC aims to hone and promote the voice of the next generation of space sector leaders on the topic of international space development.