SGAC has partnered with the Australian Space Agency (ASA) to bring two Australians to attend the 20th Space Generation Congress (SGC) and the 73rd International Astronautical Congress (IAC) on 14 – 16 September and 18 – 22 September, 2022 respectively in Paris, France.
Application deadline: 3rd of July 2022, 23:59 GMT
The winners of the scholarship will receive an award in order to attend the following events:
The award will partially cover the expenses up to a maximum amount of
incurred to attend SGC and the IAC. (Round trip travel via airfare, accommodations, visa costs, COVID related costs and the registration fees according to the reimbursement policy).
How to Apply?
To apply, you will need to prepare the following documents:
- A 1 minute video: Topic – “Where do you see the Australian space sector 20 years from now? What areas of opportunity should it be going after?”
- A 1 page essay (max 300 words): Topic – “Access to skilled workers is one of the biggest challenges facing the space sector globally and in Australia – what do you think could be done to address the shortfall?”
- A recent resume
- Confirmation of Australian citizenship
All submissions must be made by using the Scholarship Submission Form. You will find the Scholarship Submission form at the bottom of this page. (Please, log in first to be able to see the application form).
Please submit your documents as unlocked PDF files. Your name should be included at the top of all pages.
Your submission should follow the competition guidelines below.
- The scholarship is open to all students and young professionals with Australian citizenship.
- Participants must be eligible SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the age of 18 and 35 years as of the 23rd of October, 2022.
- Competition judges are ineligible for the award.
- Winners should not receive support from any other source to the event. Should the winners receive such support midway through the program, SGAC should be informed and a solution will be sought
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- All submissions must be made by the 3rd of July 2022, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Responsibilities of the Winners
The winning author shall:
- Attend the entire SGC 2022.
- Attend the entire IAC 2022.
- Support the running of SGC 2022 and the SGAC booth. These tasks offer great opportunities such as being the rapporteur of an SGC working group and helping with writing a group report, being the front face of SGAC at the SGAC booth and meeting interesting people.
- Submit a short report (2 pages excluding pictures) and a short video (1 minute) describing the winner’s experience at SGC 2022 and IAC 2022 for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partner. The report and video shall describe the experience of the winner at the events. For example, speakers that were particularly interesting, group discussions that stood out or other event highlights.
All responsibilities shall be fulfilled and reports etc. submitted no later than 23rd of October 2022. In case the scholarship awardee does not complete the scholarship requirements on time, the scholarship funds will be transferred to SGAC general budget to continue supporting the mission and work of SGAC.
- The award will be paid out after the SGC 2022 and the IAC 2022, no later than 30 days after fulfilment of all responsibilities listed above.
- The scholarship award reimbursement is conditioned on the awardee fulfilling the scholarship requirements not later than October 23rd 2022.
- In case the winner receives funding for SGC or IAC by any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where a competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
- Reimbursements will follow the SGAC Scholarships Travel Policy & Reimbursement Guidelines.
Please make sure to consult the Guidelines before incurring in expenses.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit the SGAC to use their names, affiliations, and headshot photo in connection with the scholarship. This also applies to the essay that is submitted: portions of this essay could be used for promotional purposes (the authors, of course, will be credited for the content).
- Copyright of the submitted entry shall remain with the contestants. However, by submitting an entry all contestants agree that SGAC and all affiliated organisers are granted non-exclusive reproduction rights regarding all submitted papers. SGAC and all affiliated organisers may also present ideas and findings generated by this competition at relevant conferences.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that SGC 2022 and/or the IAC 2022 are cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winning author, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend SGC 2022 and/or the IAC 2022 or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case, the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
- The award is not transferable to another event or individual.
The applications will be evaluated by a panel composed by the SGAC Scholarships Team and the Australian Space Agency.
3 July 2022
Announcement of Results:
15 July 2022
You can apply through the Scholarship Submission Form you will find at the bottom of this page. (Please, log in first to be able to see the application form).
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Team ([email protected]).