Updated 22 May 2018
We shall abide by the following principles:
- Before or at the time of collecting personal information, we will identify the purposes for which information is being collected.
- We will collect and use personal information solely with the objective of fulfilling those purposes specified by us and for other compatible purposes, unless we obtain the consent of the individual concerned or as required by law.
- We will only retain personal information as long as necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes.
- We will collect personal information by lawful and fair means and, where appropriate, with the knowledge or consent of the individual concerned.
- Personal data should be relevant to the purposes for which it is to be used, and, to the extent necessary for those purposes, should be accurate, complete, and up-to-date.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make readily available to customers information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
On what legal basis does SGAC collect and process information about you?
We collect and process information about you to enable you to interact on the SGAC platforms and engage in our activities. Where required, your explicit consent will be requested.
What information do we collect about you, why and how is it used?
Joining SGAC: If you join SGAC using Facebook, Twitter, Google+ or LinkedIn we will have your username identified from those sites so that we can recognize it is you when you want to log on to your SGAC portal. We may receive other information from those sites depending on the privacy settings you have on those sites and whether you use these profiles to sign into the SGAC website or not ; however, we would never have access to your password.
To join SGAC, whether you join using your email address or your social medial account, we will collect your name, email address, gender, date of birth, address, phone number, nationalities, address and country of residence so that you may access your SGAC web account.
If you do not wish to join via one of the social forums and do not want to join via email then you will not be able to join SGAC.
There is also an option to select which SGAC Project Group you would like to be a part of but again this is not required for you to join SGAC. Once you have joined, you are a member of SGAC and you will have a profile – you may put further personal information there, including your photo but this is in no way required.
Joining an SGAC Project Group: If you join a project group, you will receive a supplementary application form with additional information required by the team. This data will be accessible to the relevant project group co-leads and project group-coordinators at SGAC.
Scholarship/SGAC Vacancy Applications: If you apply for one of our scholarships or SGAC vacancies, we may collect additional information about your education, your current company, your field of work, your SGAC Position and the information provided on your CV. If you are successful in obtaining one of our scholarships/vacancies then your success may be published on our website only with your explicit consent.
Attending an SGAC Event: By registering for an SGAC event, SGAC will collect your name and email address, your education, your nationality, your current company, your field of work and preferences pertaining to the event. Contact information will be used to provide you with updates about the event and so that we can mark your attendance at the event.
Mailing lists: You will be asked when joining SGAC whether you would like to subscribe to our newsletter. You will also be asked when joining a specific project group whether you would like to join their mailing list. If you provided information on your nationality you may be asked whether you would like to join that countries mailing list. In these instances your email address shall be used to send you the information to which your subscribed to. You are not required to join any mailing list and it does not prevent you from joining SGAC. You also have the option to opt out of any mailing list at any time through the link provided on the emails and through google groups.
Statistical purposes: We may aggregate your data for statistical purposes to support the development of SGAC. All such data will have undergone pseudonymisation.
How is my data collected?
All your data is collected through the spacegeneration.org website, through your SGAC Profile, or through Google forms.
Is my data shared with a third party?
We do not share your data with any person outside of the SGAC without your explicit consent. However, we do use Google Administrative services to keep track of our data. We also use Google Analytics/Google Tag Manager that coordinate pseudonymised, aggregated data for statistical purposes to improve SGAC. In other cases, whenever an external service is used (such as EventBrite or PayPal), you will be informed before your data is transferred to these services. Internally, your data is only available to relevant team members authorised to handle your data.
How long will you keep my data for?
If you are a member of SGAC, we will retain your name, email address and available profile data until such a time as you delete your profile or until you inform us to delete your profile. Remember that you are the person in charge of your profile and you can delete it / amend it at any time you want. To delete your account, please email [email protected]. This likewise goes for any publications or announcements made by or about you on the SGAC website.
If you apply for a Scholarship/SGAC vacancy then we shall retain the data of unsuccessful candidates for a period of 12 months after the closing date. We shall retain the name and nationality of the successful candidates indefinitely – all remaining information shall be deleted within 12 months from the decision.
If you attend an SGAC event, your name and email address shall be deleted within 12 months after the end of the event.
If you join a mailing list your email address shall be retained until you unsubscribe from the respective mailing list.
We retain statistical aggregated data indefinitely.
Who has access to some or all of my information?
The SGAC Web Team, Chairs and Executive Director have access to all data hosted by SGAC. Furthermore, reports on membership are transferred in aggregate to SGAC Executive Committee as part of internal reports.
When joining an SGAC Project Group, the Project Group Co-lead and Coordinators will have access to your name and will also have access to your email address if you choose to subscribe to their mailing list.
When joining a national mailing list, that nation’s National Points of Contact and Regional Coordinators shall also have access to your email address (and your name if included on the mailing list).
If you do subscribe to any mailing list the Web Team shall also have access to your name and email address for administrative purposes.
When joining an event, that event’s organizing team shall have access to your name and email address. Archival data from events are accessible to the Chairs, Executive Director and Membership Manager.
When applying for a scholarship or SGAC vacancy the Chairs, Executive Director and relevant team members will have access to the data your provided with your application.
Is my data secure?
Yes, we protect your personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. We ensure that everyone who has access to your data within SGAC has had the appropriate training on how they may treat your data.
What are your rights?
- You have the right to request access to all data SGAC holds concerning you.
- You have the right to request rectification of any data SGAC holds concerning you.
- You have the right to request the erasure of any data concerning you; please note that the erasure of certain data may impact on the provision of our services.
- You have the right to data portability; this means that you can request for your data to be provided in a suitable format
- Where consent is obtained in order to collect and process certain aspects of your personal data, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time.
- You have the right to lodge a complaint with the relevant supervisory authority.
How to contact us?