The SGAC Alumni Award
In 2019, on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC), the organisation launches its “Alumni Award” Programme. SGAC wants to acknowledge organisations that deeply care for our generation, our talents, skills and needs – organisations that actively support us as the next generation of space leaders, empowering us as such, enabling us to grow.
The award is presented to an alumnus that demonstrates ongoing support of SGAC and genuine care for the next generation, actively supporting and empowering space young professionals and students. The intent of the Alumni Award is to provide additional recognition to alumni who give their time and expertise to provide exceptional support to the organisation and its members.
SGAC Alumni are
- SGAC members (with a registered account on our website) who have not interacted with SGAC in the past three years.
- Those who care about the SGAC mission and vision, but are over the age limit of SGAC (past their 36th birthday).
Number of Awards
An alumnus may receive the award only once.
Not more than one award is conferred each year.
We want to give an award to an alumnus that provides ongoing support to SGAC through activities such as :
- Supporting SGAC’s activities
- Providing support/funds to SGAC’s activities (events, scholarships, project groups etc.)
- Showing availability to join as a speaker or a subject matter expert at SGAC events
- Being an advisor to some SGAC teams or projects (e.i.: advisory to a Project Group)
- Supporting SGAC as an organisation
- Being part (or has been) of the SGAC Advisory Board/Honorary Board
- Showing availability to provide advice and support to the SGAC Leadership
- Getting involved in the SGAC Mentorship Programme
- Supporting the Alumni Programme
- Participating to Alumni events
- Donating to the SGAC Alumni Fund
Nomination and Selection Rules
Who can nominate
- The wider SGAC community
- SGAC Executive Director
- SGAC Co-Chairs
- SGAC Alumni Lead
- The Jury Panel evaluates and select the winner, providing rationales for the choices
2021 Alumni Award timeline
- 1st of December 2020: Call for nomination is open
- 15th of May 2021: End of nomination period
- 15th of May- 15th of June 2021: Evaluation period
- 15th of June 2020: Announcement and Notice to the awardee
- The official announcement during SpaceGen United or SG Congress Closing Dinner – October 2021
Are you interested in nominating an SGAC Alumni? To support you write the best pitch, here the questions you will find in the Nomination Form
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Nationality 1, 2, 3
- Current Status
- Role within SGAC (if any)
- Full name of the Nominated Alumna/us
- Affiliation of the Nominated Alumna/us
- Role(s) covered in SGAC by the Alumna/us
Eligibility – Given the criteria among those listed, please explain:
- How has the Alumna/us supported SGAC’s activities so far? (150 words)
- How has the Alumna/us supported SGAC as an organisation? (150 words )
- How has the Alumna/us supported SGAC’s Alumni Programme? (150 words)
- Why should SGAC prefer this Alumna/us over others? Pitch us! (150 words)
Nominations are currently closed
SGAC is very pleased and honoured to announce that James D. Burke has been selected as the inaugural recipient of the SGAC Alumni Award! James D. Burke has been selected based on his ongoing support to SGAC and genuine care for the next generation, actively supporting and empowering space young professionals and students.