South America Region
The presence of the SGAC in South America is growing year by year and as a region we are proud, because we are contributing to the main objective of each of the member countries, which is to promote aerospace technology in the region and motivate students and young professionals to be part of the space community.
Recently, several events related to space technology and its applications have been carried out in the region.
The first South American Space Generation Workshop (SA-SGW) was held in Argentina in 2015, the second version of this event took place in Peru in 2016. On the other hand, local events have been held in each country, which have succeeded in providing the opportunity to students and professionals to be close to high level space sector leaders, professionals and academics.
Regional Coordinators South America
Regional Team South America
Countries with SGAC Presence
Current/Recent Activities in Region
As future activities for this year the SGAC has planned regional and local activities to continue contributing to the formation with the space community in the region.
The third version of the South American Space Generation Workshop, will be held in São José dos Campos, city of São Paulo State, Brazil on November 9th – 10th. This regional workshop congregates numerous experts from the space sector and connects them with the space leaders of tomorrow. SA-SGW 2017 is focused on university students and young professionals in the South American region to see more details visit the link.
SpaceUp Colombia, is an event that took place on October 4, 2017 at Fundación Universitaria Los Libertadores in the city of Bogota, Colombia. This event provided the opportunity for attendees to meet other people with the same interests and is open to anyone interested in space. For more details and visit the link.
It is important to mention that SpaceUp is a space unconference, where participants decide the topics, schedule, and structure of the event. The only requirement is to talk about SPACE.
SpaceUp Peru, is an event that will take place on January 2018 at the Universidad de Ingenierìa y Tecologìa (UTEC) in the city of Lima, Peru.
External Activities of Interest to Region
Among the different activities outside the SGAC but of interest for the community we can mention the following:
- International Conference on Aerospace and Signals (INCAS) 2017 to be held in Lima – Peru from 8 to 10 november 2017. The INCAS is a biannual technical event which belongs to the joint chapter AESS (Aerospace and Electronics System Society) – SPS (Signal Processing Society) of the IEEE Peru Section. This event is organized to promote interdisciplinary understanding of signal processing and aerospace systems, their underlying science and technology, and their applications to government and commercial endeavors.
- INCAS 2017 seeks to reflect the professional development, promoting the integration of professionals, researchers and aerospace industry in a context in which prevail technological innovations to seek the benefit of the community, bringing together the most outstanding companies, industries, universities and professionals.
- Aerospace Bolivian Conference (ABC) 2018 to be held in La Paz – Bolivia. This event is organized to promote interdisciplinary understanding of aerospace systems, their underlying science and technology, and their applications to government and commercial endeavors. ABC seeks to reflect the professional development, promoting the integration of professionals, researchers and aerospace industry in a context in which prevail technological innovations to seek the benefit of the community, bringing together the most outstanding companies, industries, universities and professionals.
South American Competition List
Competition List available to international graduate/undegraduate/high-school students. You would need a conversant-level of English to compete. SGAC members are willing and able to provide support if needed.
- CanSat competition Type: Design, construction, and flying of model-rocket payload Age group: Electrical/Aerospace/Computer engineering university students Sponsors: AIAA, NASA
- SAE – Aero design Design, construct and fly an aircraft given design constraints AgeGroup: University or graduate students in Aerospace Sponsors: SAE
- Design-build-fly AIAA Design-build-and-fly aircraft Sponsors: AIAA
- RASC-AL competition Develop mission architectures to employ innovative solutions Age Group: University teams, 2 categories: undergraduate &graduate Sponsors: NASA & NIA
There are also a large number of design-only competitions. See AIAA and NASA. Of special mention to high-school students around the world is the NASA Space Settlement Contest!
South American Scholarships List
Interesting opportunities can be seen in the following items:
Emerging Space Leaders Grant Programme: Scholarship to attend IAC, SGC & UN/IAF Workshop. Age Group: Students and young professionals Sponsors: IAF
Erasmus Mundus: Open to people from all over the world to pursue graduate studies Available in all subjects related to space: Astrophysics, Software Engineering, Nuclear Fusion, Geospatial Technologies, Computational Mechanics, Space Science and Technology!Age Group: University teams, 2 categories: undergraduate & graduate
Fulbright Program: Provides funding for students, scholars, teachers, and professionals to undertake graduate study, advanced research, university teaching, and teaching in elementary and secondary schools. Sponsor: United States Department of State