Asia Pacific Region
The rapidly developing space sector in Asia-Pacific now becomes a force that can no longer be neglected. With China’s Lunar Exploration, Japan’s Multi-GNSS Development, India’s Mars Exploration Initiative, and the rising of emerging space developing countries, Asia-Pacific is now at a stage of fusing different channels to boost space advancement. Combined with both evolving governments’ efforts and emerging commercial initiatives, Asia-Pacific not only reflects enormous potentials for space exploration and development but also summons a promising reserve of talents in preparation for the upcoming fierce global competition.
Aligned with the reservation of the talent pool for Asia-Pacific dedicated to promoting and supporting young people in this region to engage in space-related activities through various outreach approaches. One of SGAC’s flagship events, the Space Generation Congress has been held in Asia-Pacific for four times since the 21st century and this year Adelaide, Australia will host its 16th edition. With the inspiration of SGC, Asia-Pacific initiated SGAC’s global regional workshop serious in 2014 with the 1st AP-SGW held as the official side event of the 21st APRSAF. AP-SGW will enter its 4th year in 2017, to be held in Bangalore; it also stimulates our country-specific events including SpaceUp Australia, China, Roundtable Talk in Japan and Student Satellite Workshop in South Korea, etc.
Regional Coordinators Asia-Pacific
Given the majority of countries are developing countries with limited space capacity, small satellite constellation for developing countries will become a major focus in the next few years to allow people from developing countries can also widely benefited from space technology and applications. In terms of those countries with competitive space capacity, space station construction, interplanetary exploration as well asteroid mining are items on the agenda to be crossed.
Regional Team Asia-Pacific
Recent/Current Activities in Region
- AP-SGW: The Asia-Pacific Space Generation Workshop (AP-SGW) is the first regional workshop of the Space Generation Advisory Council held in conjunction with the Asia-Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum (APRSAF). Participants are top university students and young professionals with a passion for space who are selected among applicants from Asia-Pacific through our Space Generation regional network. With AP-SGW, SGAC aims to highlight the insight for the future and launch the perspective of the next generation on the topic of promoting Asia-Pacific regional collaboration in the space sector in the next 10-20 years.
- SpaceUp (Australia, China, India, New Zealand): SpaceUp is an unconference, also known as a user-generated conference or a BarCamp. There are no spectators at SpaceUp, only participants. All attendees are expected to give a demo, present a talk, or participate in a panel or roundtable. Since the inception of this global series in 2010, SpaceUp has taken place in three countries in Asia-Pacific including India (2012-2013), Australia (2014-2016), New Zealand (2014) and China (2017). SGAC members have been actively engaged in organizing and participating such event since it was brought to this region.
- SGAC Japan Roundtable Talk: The SGAC Roundtable Talk in Japan is an event with more than 10 years’ history coordinated by Japanese NPoCs. Such talk is to give an introduction of SGAC to Japanese young people and update Alumini in Japan with SGAC progress.
APSCO Observer Status Campaign
External Activities of Interest to Region
- The Asia-Pacific Regional Space Agency Forum (APRSAF): APRSAF was established in 1993 to enhance space activities in the Asia-Pacific region. Space agencies, governmental bodies, international organizations, private companies, universities, and research institutes from over 40 countries and regions take part in APRSAF, the largest space-related conference in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Asia Pacific Space Cooperation Organization(APSCO) International Symposiums: The symposiums aim at encouraging the experts and specialists from APSCO Member States and Asia-Pacific Region for exchanging information and sharing experiences as to space sector development in their home countries including different satellite technology development and their applications, as well as to views on potential cooperative projects and proposals by participants.
- Asia-Pacific Space Leaders Forum: The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) is the regional development arm of the United Nations for the Asia-Pacific region. It organises regularly Asia-Pacific Space Leaders Forum.
- Asian-Pacific Regional IAU Meeting (APRIM): APRIMs are authorized by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) with the aim to promote scientific activity and collaboration in the Asian-Pacific region. For more info:
- Global Space Technology Convention (GSTC): GSTC is Asia’s Premier Space & Technology Event. Presented by the Singapore Space & Technology Association (SSTA) and held in Singapore on the first quarter every year, GSTC is the ideal platform to meet new business partners, discover the latest in space technologies, and uncover opportunities within the rapidly developing space industry in Asia.
IAF Emerging Space Leadership Program(ESL)
IAF Young Space Leaders (YSL) Recognition Programme
International Astronomical Union Travel Grant
Australian Youth Space Leadership Award
Past Regional Events
1st AP-SGW: Yokohama, 2014 2nd AP-SGW: Bali, 2015 3rd AP-SGW: Phillipines, 2016