SPACE SCIENCE AND ASTRONOMY COMPETITION IN SIERRA LEONE
April 23, 2020 @ 8:00 AM - April 24, 2020 @ 5:00 PM CEST
Event postponed due to current SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19 situation, may be turned into a webinar series.
Event on Promoting and Raising Awareness in Space Science and Astronomy in Sierra Leone
The Project is inspired by a team of very carefully selected Engineering and Science students at Fourah Bay College University of Sierra Leone and individuals around the African continent with strong passion and desire for space technology and innovation.
The event is organised in partnership with SGAC
- Provide a global platform for students and young professionals to compete with the aim of raising awareness in Space Science and Astronomy and also promoting Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics in Sierra Leone.
- Support the creation of a ‘Space Community’ in Sierra Leone connecting students and young professionals in the STEM field.
- Empower students and young professionals in the country with the knowledge and experience they need to get acquainted with the design, development and analysis phase of space systems and STEM programs for sustainable development.
- Bringing attention to the political, academic and business class of the importance of space science and astronomy and the role it will play in the coming future.
STEAD, which stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Developments is a student based organization dedicated to increasing space science, innovation and technology in Sierra Leone and the African continent by developing an enabling environment for the advancement of Space Education, Astronomy and other fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
STEAD currently has a membership of over 100 talented students with the aim of solving societal problems using an innovation and engineering approach.
The society is recognised by the university of Sierra Leone, Sierra Leone institution of Engineers, the Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC), International Astronomical Union (IAU) and the Directorate of Science, Technology and Innovation of the country.
From among the members of STEAD the core team for SierraLeoneSAT-1 was formed, a team working towards development and launching of Sierra Leone’s first Satellite.
Vision and Mission
The vision of STEAD is to empower students and youths to achieve and foster a vibrant and prosperous growth for human capital development and also increase the presence of minorities in the STEM field.
The mission of STEAD is to promote quality education through Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics, and also to invest in human capital development to solve national challenges through educative and creative solutions as a way to meet the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals by 2030 and the fourth industrial revolution.
We are actively looking for sponsor that want to support this initiative
- Increase brand awareness towards the educational sector
- Connect to the next generation of Space, Astronomy and STEM leaders
- Create brand awareness among the future drivers of industry and entrepreneurship
- Possibility to send representatives to the coffee breaks and to install a promoting stand on site
- Your logo on the SGAC website and promotion and advertising materials
- Recognition during, before and after event
- Opportunity to designate a representative of your organization to deliver a talk as a keynote speaker
- Possibility to include branded items in attendee’s welcome pack
- Identify talent from the best candidates in Sierra Leone
- Nurture development of capacity in Sierra Leone
- Support the biggest youth Space and STEM community in Sierra Leone
- Contribute to the development of Sierra Leone by capacity building
The organisers have also set up a gofundme campaign to help fund the event