National Points of Contact
Welcome to SGAC Sudan homepage.
This is a website to keep young Sudanese interested in space science and technology updated, regarding the activities held in Sudan and to some extent in the region. It is also a platform for keeping the public aware of space activities going on in Sudan. We aim to bring young Sudanese interested in Space together in order to share their space projects, ideas and thoughts. Our interest spans and covers all aspects related to space whether it is space science, technology, law or even space movies and novels. Join our organization (it’s FREE!) and network with the like-minded young space enthusiasts from all over the world. Feel free to contact the NPoC for any suggestions, queries, or to inform me of space events (previous, current and Future events). Welcome to our page and let’s have great events.
Young Space Activities Overview in the Sudan
Space related activities commenced more than five decades ago, however, in Sudan these are still in their first steps. There are few space activities in Sudan that can be categorized into 3 groups:
1. Satellite remote sensing: This is the most active area of space technology in Sudan. The Remote Sensing and Seismology Authority (RSSA) in Sudan was established in the 1970s under the National Centre of Research and it has ever been representing Sudan in Space Related bodies and have strong connections with Space Community at local, regional and international levels.
2. Space Technology: Sudan has established many initiatives for sending satellites to space. The recent most known initiatives are:
- University of Khartoum’s Cubesat Project, which was established in 2010 and still going on, with 2 cubesat prototypes developed and no launch yet.
- National Centre of Research’s Institute of Space Research and Aerospace (ISRA) which recently completed developing their first Cubesat Prototype
- Future University established their Kush Institute of Space Technology in 2000. Although they have been working mostly on remote sensing, but they recently started a cubesat project.
3. Astronomy: Many universities in Sudan teach astronomy at their Faculties of Science. The most active and well-known Astronomy society in Sudan is the Sudanese Society for Astronomy and Space science (SSASS). They organize very interesting astronomy events in Sudan every now and then. Check their events from the links at the end of this webpage.”
There are some societies and departments dedicated to space and astronomy in Sudanese universities. Due to high demand for geoinformatics studies, many universities have established faculties and departments to give academic degrees of B.Sc. and M.Sc. including the Future University and Sudan Academy of Science. Future University has established a space research center and Faculty of Geoinformatics which is considered the first specialized faculty in Sudan, and they have many research and awareness activities targeting youth.
Country-Specific Events in 2018
Country-Specific Events in 2017
April 12 – Yuri’s Night in Khartoum – Celebrating the first Human Space Flight – University of Khartoum Space Research Centre
April 29-30 – NASA Space App Challenge – Participate in the World’s biggest Hackathon – Virtually but if you are interested in a small gathering email the NPoC
July 30 – Asteroid Day in Khartoum – raise awareness about asteroids and learn more about the recent asteroid that fell in Sudan on June 20th 2017.
October 4-10 – World Space Week – Celebration of Human Achievements in space that last for 7 days all around the world – Location: TBD
November 2017 – AF-SGW – The first Africa Space Generation Workshop
Space pictures from Sudan
Interesting Web Links for the Young Generation in Sudan
University of Khartoum Space Research Centre
Future University Kush Institute of Space Technology
National Centre for Research Institute of Space Research and Aerospace (ISRA)
National Centre for Research Remote Sensing and Seismology Authority
Sudanese Society for Astronomy and Space science SSASS