National Points of Contact
Space activities in Croatia are at their beginnings. Besides several companies, research institutes and technical universities that are operating independently, there hasn’t been a comprehensive national space program in the country to this date. This might change in the coming years due to two key events.
The first is the formation of Adriatic Aerospace Association in June 2017 in Zagreb. The second key event is the official launch of the country’s accession process with the European Space Agency (ESA).
A significant change in the space sector in the country is anticipated following these events. The key to advances following these changes depends on close cooperation among all participants, a cross-disciplinary flow in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) in cooperation with business and social studies as well as the involvement of young generation of professionals. We are all welcome to be a part of it!
Young Space Activities Overview in Croatia
There is a very active base of space enthusiasts in Croatia who are big promoters of space technology and science in all walks of life. One of the important activities is World Space Week, the world’s largest public display of benefits and excitement about space exploration. 137 different events were organized in 2017 across the country, and even more of them are planned for the next year!
There is a small but active base of professionals who are participating in international Space industry events and competitions. The most successful ones are Croatian representatives of the Synergy Moon, one of 5 teams remaining in the Google Lunar XPRIZE competition.
There are several networks of companies and institutions focused on the space industry and science, amongst which Adriatic Aerospace Association is the most distinguished. The Association is a partnership of science and commercial technology firms. Among other activities, the association plans to support students and young professionals in building their aerospace careers.
Croatia has a very active students’ and young professional information and communications technology community (ICT) and start-up ecosystem. They are supported by numerous educational institutions and hubs for high-tech and entrepreneurship.
Croatian young space community is growing, and we are looking for new members. Don’t hesitate to join our country-specific mailing list or become an SGAC member. Your NPoCs are here to provide you with further information.
Country-Specific Events in 2019
Interesting Web Links
- World Space Week (WSW) Croatia – an internet portal for national organization of WSW in Croatia.
- WSW Facebook Group – a Facebook group for promoting WSW in Croatia.
- Croatian Astronomical Society – a professional association for development of scientific, educational and cultural activities in the field of astronomy, astrophysics and related fields of science.
- Zagreb Observatory – space observation, scientific work and popularization of space science.
- E-Škola Astronomije – an online astronomy course.
- Višnjan Observatory – a non-profit organization for astronomy and education.
- Astronomical Society Infinitum (AD Beskraj) – Practical astronomy lovers.
- Synergy Moon – a team competing for the Google Lunar X Prize, a challenge to land the first privately-funded rover on the Moon.
- Adriatic Aerospace Association – a partnership of science and technology with the main objective to advance activity in aerospace sector.
- Ruđer Bošković Institute – Croatian leading scientific institute in the natural and biomedical sciences, marine and environmental research.
- Amphinicy Technologies – a leading provider of complex software solutions and all-round software support for the satellite and space industry.
- Hipersfera – a provider of innovative aeronautical solutions for global societal and market challenges.
- ZIP, Zagreb Incubator for Entrepreneurship – The first and most valuable startup incubator in Croatia.