Young Space Activities Overview in Poland
Space sector is developing rapidly in Poland after the country became a member of the European Space Agency in November 2012. The Polish Space Agency (POLSA) has been created and tasked with a mission to coordinate the space activities in the country and represent it outside. Polish space business entities have won several important contracts from the European Space Agency (ESA) programmes, as well as being active in the Horizon 2020 Space Area funds, creating new space-related or space-based products. In February 2017, the Polish Space Strategy document was published by the Ministry of Development.
Polish space companies are participating actively in international space projects, especially in their areas of specialisation to win contract from system integrator companies. Additionally, many projects are ran within the Polish Industry Incentive Scheme, whose duration was extended until the end of 2019. A relatively active start-up scene, based on Galileo Masters competition and on Space3ac space technology accelerator, gives hopes for establishing New Space companies in the near future in Poland as well.
Non-governmental and student organisations also play their role supporting the development of the Polish space sector by organising conferences and engaging in students competitions. Several initiatives were realised including: The European Rover Challenge, a Mars analogue base mission as well as several stratospheric experiments (by balloons and rockets) and the PW-SAT 2 CubeSat mission.
Country-Specific Events in 2022
Interesting Web Links
Governmental, business and scientific institutions:
Non-governmental organisations (NGOs), associations and groups:
- Polish Space Professionals Association – a Polish NGO supporting the development of space sector in Poland.
- Polish Space Industry Association – an association gathering main companies & research institutes from the Polish space sector.
- Students’ Space Association (SSA) of the Warsaw University of Technology – the most active student association related to space in Poland, founded in 1997.
- Mars Society Poland (MSP) – the Polish section of the Mars Society founded in 1999, it is focused on developing mars rovers and built a Mars habitat in Poland.
- Polish Rocketry Society – a Polish society gathering enthusiasts of experimental sounding rockets in Poland.
- Copernicus Project – a non-governmental organisation, whose aim is to spread the idea of cheap access to space by offering stratospheric balloon experimental platforms for amateur scientific research.
Space-related news websites: