Young Space Activities Overview
In Panama, the interest in Space is constantly growing, and SGAC is playing an important role in this development.
Amateur associations such as the Panamanian Association of Amateur Astronomers (APAA) constantly promotes events related to Astronomy in all the country.
Public institutions such as the National Secretary of Science and Technology (SENACYT) organizes the Panamanian Olympics of Space Sciences (OliPaCE) and the National Congress of Space Science annually.
Universities such as Universidad de Panamá (UP), Universidad Latina de Panamá, Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá, Universidad Especializada de las Américas and Universidad Católica Santa María La Antigua, along with IEEE Panama section and Space Space Generation Advisory Council, organize the NASA SpaceApps Challenge every year.
The Astronomical Observatory of Panama organizes the AstroCamping every summer, which is a family-type event to promote Astronomy among young kids
SGAC has been very active in the last years, promoting initiatives such as:
- Open Course Introduction to Space Engineering in collaboration with other countries in Central America, in which students from Panama, Nicaragua, El Salvador and Costa Rica have learned the basic concepts of Space Exploration, Rockets, Satellite applications and the NewSpace industry. The instructors are SGAC members with experience in Engineering and Teaching at University level.
- Space Mission design workshops with the software beeApp from Open-Cosmos, to train students and young professionals about Space mission architecture, small-satellites and System Engineering.
- The “Speaker of the Month Series”, with Panamanian Subject Matter Experts that are contributing to the Space Industry from the private sector, and from the Academia.
- Participation in International Competitions such as the CubeDesign organized by the National Institute for Aerospace Research of Brazil (INPE) in which the team PANASAT-1 formed by members of SGAC, designed and simulated several susystems of a Cubesat mission. It is expected that this team continue the developing of the PANASAT-1 CubeSat mission, and launch the satellite into orbit in a couple of years.
- Participation in International Congresses and Symposiums organized by SGAC, the Central American Association for Space and Aeronautics (ACAE), among others.
For more information, please check out our link section below!
Interesting Web Links for the Young Generation