SGAC Online Store Logo Competition
SGAC has launched its new online store (learn more here). To help the global SGAC network engage with this new initiative, the SGAC invites you to develop a special SGAC logo that will be featured in the new online store!
The logo design competition is open to all SGAC members.
- The winning submission will be featured on various products in the online store and available for purchase.
- The winner will be acknowledged on the SGAC website as the creator of the logo.
- The winner will receive credits to purchase one store item of their choice.
How to apply?
- Please confirm that you are eligible to submit a design by carefully reading the guidelines below:
- Color: The logo should only use the five SGAC theme colors, and white and black. You can access the SGAC theme colors here: https://color.adobe.com/10300796 to view them in HEX, RGB, or CYMK codes. If you’re using Adobe CC tools, you can add the theme directly to your Adobe interface by clicking “Add to Library”
- Elements: SGAC maintains a set of SGAC brand identity elements that are used throughout the SGAC media representation. You are not required to use any or all of these elements. However, should you choose to include graphics that represent the same content, you are encouraged to use these elements. You can access the vector files (.SVG) here.
- Text: For this logo, please refrain from adding any text into or to the sides of the logo. Any text to be added to the logo will be determined and added by the SGAC PR&Communications Team after the competition ends.
- We strongly encourage your submission to be in vector format (.SVG, .EPS) so that SGAC could reproduce your work in different sizes. If you’re using a vector design software, please attach a raster copy of your work in .PNG format.
- You are still eligible for the competition even if you’re only able to create and submit a raster (bitmap) graphic file. If your work wins the competition, an SGAC graphics representative will work with you to create a vector copy of your work.
- Aspect Ratio: The logo aspect ratio should be roughly square or circular. While we still accept submissions that are highly skewed (i.e. long rectangles or ellipses), they may be disadvantaged during judging due to their lack of reproducibility.
- Attachment: You are encouraged to attach a text file that explains your logo. While we hope to have the logo as self-explanatory as possible, please explain any ambiguous or abstract elements that you have in the logo. Should you decide to add a text attachment, the explanation text should be no more than 150 words.
- Submit your entry by July 31 2020 at 23:59 GMT.
What are we looking for?
Logo designs will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Formatting: The logo should adhere to all the branding guidelines explained above. The inability to satisfy one or more criteria (such as using non-SGAC colors) will count against your submission.
- Content: The content and the elements of the logo should represent SGAC and/or its themes. SGAC themes include: space exploration, students and young professionals, science and technology, law and policy, global community. Feel free to read up on SGAC media to better understand SGAC’s work and its community.
- Understandability: The logo should be self-explanatory to an informed target audience. This means that thematic abstractions and use of symbols are allowed as long as they are widely used in the industry. (For example, the use of laurels as a symbol of peace, or use of diamonds as symbols of stars) Abstractions or positionings of elements that hinder comprehension of the logo’s meaning is discouraged.
- Simplicity: The logo should aspire to convey a consistent message. Inclusion of too many elements, complex positioning of elements, and use of high-complexity elements will count against your submission.
Who is eligible to apply?
- The competition is open to all students and young professionals from any country. Teams or individuals are welcome to apply.
- All individuals or team members shall be SGAC members between the ages of 18 to 35 inclusive (up to the day of their 36th birthday) on 1 October 2020.
- No previous design experience is necessary. The competition is open to all backgrounds- from those who like to play around in MS Paint/Gimp/Photoshop to those who are designers by trade.
- Competition organisers and judges are not eligible for this award.
The winner should provide a vector format of the logo for reproduction by SGAC. If the winner only has a raster (bitmap) work, the winner shall work with the SGAC Brand Identity Manager in creating a vector version of the logo.
The winner will adhere to
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit SGAC and other participating organisations to mention their names, affiliations, and headshot pictures in connection with the competition.
- The participants of this competition grant SGAC the right to use and reproduce their submitted logo design and utilise it in SGAC materials without restriction or compensation.
- By submitting their logo design, the participants warrant that the submitted logo design does not infringe upon the copyright or other rights of 3rd parties.
A panel of SGAC Scholarship Team members, SGAC PR&Comms Team members and members from the SGAC leadership will evaluate the designs based on the criteria listed in this call.
Entries accepted: July 6, 2020
Submission Deadline: July 31, 2020
Review Phase and Adjustments: August 1 – 15 2020
Winner Announced: August 17
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarship Team [email protected]
For inspiration, we invite you to browse the following logo designs from previous logo competitions for the Space Generation Congress. Take a look at past logo competition winners!
Winner 2019: Caroline Juang – logo for SGC 2020
Winner 2018: Francesco Scarcelli – logo for SGC 2019.
2017: Caroline Juang – logo for SGC 2018.