SGAC has partnered with the UK Space Agency and Secure World Foundation (SWF) to bring 7 students or young professionals to attend the SWF Summit for Space Sustainability, in New York, USA, on June 13-14 2023.
The 5th Summit for Space Sustainability is a high-level, multi-day event focused on developing solutions for space sustainability, hosted by the Secure World Foundation, to be held on June 13-14, 2023, at Convene on 117 West 46th Street, New York, NY.
The 5th Summit for Space Sustainability will be a unique gathering of global stakeholders from government, industry, and civil society. This event will feature keynotes, interactive sessions, panels, and networking designed to highlight opportunities and challenges for developing solutions for space sustainability.
16 May 2023, 23:59 GMT Extended: 21 May 2023, 23:59 GMT
The winners of the scholarship will receive USD 3,500 in order to attend the SWF Summit for Space Sustainability in New York, USA, on June 13-14 2023.
The scholarships will be awarded to*:
- Four (4) UK residents/citizens students or young professionals
- Three (3) international students or young professionals
*SGAC, UKSA, and SWF reserve the right to change the number of awardees based on the number and quality of the applications.
The grant will be provided as total or partial reimbursement up to a maximum amount of USD 3,500 to cover:
- Round trip travel costs to New York, USA, via economy airfare
- Visa costs (if any)
- COVID-related costs (if any)
The ticket to the event will be directly provided free of charge by SWF, hence not covered by the scholarship amount.
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to prepare the following documents:
- A 1-minute video in which you show your knowledge on one of the panels’ topics of the SWF Summit for Space Sustainability event, namely:
- WHY SPACE SUSTAINABILITY MATTERS AND ITS IMPACT ON OUR GLOBAL FUTURE
- CAN THE SPACE COMMUNITY ACTUALLY LEARN SOMETHING FROM INTERNET GOVERNANCE?
- ESG INNNNN SPAAAACE
- SPACE SECURITY IS YOUR PROBLEM, TOO
- IT’S STILL NOT A LUNAR SPACE RACE
- THE ARTEMIS ACCORDS AND THE MOON TREATY: LIVING IN HARMONY?
We encourage the participant to upload their video on YouTube and provide us with the link to that.
All submissions must be made by using the Scholarships Submission Form at the bottom of the page (Please make sure to be logged in on the website to see the form).
Your submission should follow the competition guidelines below.
- The scholarship is open to students and young professionals.
- Participants must be eligible SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the age of 18 and 35 years as of the 14th of June, 2023.
- Competition judges are ineligible for the award.
It is strictly recommended that you apply for this scholarship if you are sure you are able to obtain a visa for the USA in a short period of time. SGAC can provide a letter of support for a visa application, but cannot speed up the visa process.
In the interest of spreading opportunities to more members, SGAC reserves the right to prioritise applicants who have not recently received another SGAC scholarship of a similar nature. “Recently” is defined as having received a travel grant in the past 2 years, in the same category (either international or regional/national) as this posted award. International awards include scholarships for international events such as SGC/IAC, SGFF and Space Symposium, while regional/national awards refer to events, such as the Space Generation Workshops (SGW), national space generation events (SG[country]) or other regional or national conferences. In the event that the SGC 2021 is forced to be held online due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this scholarship will not be counted as an international travel grant, and winners are eligible to apply for another travel grant in the next 2 years.
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- All submissions must be made by the 21 May 2023, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Responsibilities of the Winners
The winning author shall:
- Attend the full Summit and the activities organised for them, such as mentoring sessions.
- Submit a short video (1 min) describing their experience at the event for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners. Example of content: speakers that were particularly interesting, group discussions that stood out or other event highlights.
All responsibilities shall be fulfilled and reports etc. submitted not later than the 14th of July 2023. In case the scholarship awardee(s) do(es) not complete the scholarship requirements on time, the scholarship funds will be transferred to SGAC general budget to continue supporting the mission and work of SGAC.
- The award will be paid out after the event, no later than 30 days after fulfillment of all responsibilities listed above.
- The scholarship award reimbursement is conditioned on the awardee fulfilling the scholarship requirements not later than 14th of July 2023.
- In case the winner receives funding for the event by any other organisation, the Scholarships Team shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where a competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
- Reimbursements will follow the SGAC Scholarships Travel Policy & Reimbursement Guidelines. Please make sure to consult the Guidelines before incurring in expenses.
Please visit SGAC scholarships Reimbursement Form for the reimbursement form and additional information on the reimbursement process.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit the SGAC to use their names, affiliations, and headshot photo in connection with the scholarship.
- Copyright of the submitted entry shall remain with the contestants. However, by submitting an entry all contestants agree that SGAC and all affiliated organisers are granted non-exclusive reproduction rights regarding all submitted papers. SGAC and all affiliated organisers may also present ideas and findings generated by this competition at relevant conferences.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event the Summit is cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winner, even if they have already incurred expenses.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event the award winner fails to attend the event or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case, the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
- The award is not transferable to another event or individual.
The applications will be evaluated by a panel composed of the SGAC Scholarships Team, the UKSA, and SWF.
21 May 2023
Announcement of Results:
23 May 2023
You can apply through the Scholarship Submission Form you will find at the bottom of this page. (Please, log in first to be able to see the application form).
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Team ([email protected]).