About Space Hero
Space Hero is the first worldwide movement aiming to democratize Space through a biennial global competition where a non-astronaut, non-military, non-billionaire will be given the chance to go into Space. Now, Space Hero is collaborating with SGAC to sponsor 24 SGAC members to attend the 1st SG[Egypt] to be held online in July 2021.
SG[Egypt] will provide a platform for space industry leaders and subject matter experts from government, civil society, academia, and the private sector to come together on July 10 and July 17 to participate in insightful and interactive high-level panel discussions, keynote presentations, and roundtable discussions, where delegates will be able to get involved in the growth of the Egyptian space sector and connect with national and international experts in the field.
3rd July, 2021, 23:59 GMT Deadline extended to the 7th July, 2021, 23:59 GMT
The discussions will focus on three themes: lunar exploration, space medicine, and diversity in space, which are at the center of Egypt’s national space strategy. With SG[Egypt], SGAC aims to explore, promote, and report strategies and policies to help Egypt and other emerging space countries ramp up capacity building, address diversity gaps, increase representation of minorities in the space sector, and leverage indigenous space capabilities. Delegates will get a unique opportunity to contribute to the discussion and output of the event, and to build and strengthen their network, fostering future international collaboration and professional career development opportunities.
Delegates, university students and young professionals with a passion for space, will be eligible to apply.
Applicants will be considered for a scholarship and get a FREE Ticket in order to attend the following event online:
- The 1st SG[Egypt] 2021: 10 July and 17 July 2021
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your complete application using the Submission Form at the end of the page.
You will need to fill out the form and answer the following questions:
- 1- Why are you interested in participating in SG[Egypt]?
- 2- What do you wish to take away from this experience?
In order to be able to contribute to the discussions of the interactive workshop on July 17th, learn about the challenges and opportunities in the space sector, and get the most out of the experience, we highly recommend that you register for and attend the online conference on July 10th as well.
If you or your organisation is interested in providing talented students and young professionals with the opportunity to get involved in the global space community, please contact competition coordinators ([email protected]).
- The scholarship is open to all students and young professionals from any UN Member or permanent observer State.
- All individuals shall be SGAC members between the ages of 18 to 35 inclusive (up to the day of their 36th birthday) on the 5th of July, 2021.
- Competition organizers and judges are not eligible for this award.
- Space Hero is all about being inclusive rather than exclusive. Equality is their mission, so they encourage everyone from all over the world to apply, regardless of their gender, nationality, background and experience.
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- All submissions must be made by the 3rd of July 2021 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
- In case of a lack of quality of submissions, SGAC and the Scholarship partner have the right to extend and or cancel the competition.
Responsibilities of the Awardees
The Awardees shall:
- Attend the entire SG[Egypt] event on July 10 and July 17
- Support the running of the SG[Egypt]. These tasks offer great opportunities such as being the rapporteur of a SG[Egypt] working group and helping with writing and presenting a group report.
- The 24 awardees shall enrol in the Space Hero Insider community before the event begins.
- Submit a short report (1 page excluding pictures or 5-10 PowerPoint slides) describing his or her experience at the SG[Egypt] for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners. The report shall describe the experience of the awardees at SG[Egypt]. For example, speakers that were particularly interesting, group discussions that stood out or other event highlights.
- All responsibilities shall be fulfilled and reports etc. submitted not later than 1st of August 2021. In case the scholarship awardee(s) do(es) not complete the scholarship requirements on time, they will not be awarded a certificate of participation.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit SGAC and all affiliated organisers to mention their names, affiliations and headshot picture in connection with the competition.
- Copyright of the submitted entry shall remain with the contestants. However, by submitting an entry all contestants agree that SGAC and all affiliated organisers are granted non-exclusive reproduction rights regarding all submitted papers. SGAC and all affiliated organisers may also present ideas and findings generated by this competition at relevant conferences.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that SG[Egypt] is cancelled.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend SG[Egypt] or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in such a case the award offer shall become void.
- The award is non-transferable and not valid for another event or individual.
Evaluators may include members of the SGAC scholarship team, SG[Egypt], and representatives of the scholarship supporter. Selected scholarship awardees will be selected based on their need, ability to contribute to the discussions and outcomes of the event, as well as their ability to make professional use of the event through further professional career development and networking opportunities.
The evaluation will be made based on a point system taking the following criteria and their weights into consideration:
- Previous relevant academic, professional, and/or volunteer experiences (40%)
- Demonstrated passion for the event’s theme topics (40%)
- Good command of English language to understand the content and contribute to the discussions and the final report (10%)
- Previous SGAC contributions (10%)
Applications open: 24th of June 2021
Applications close: 7th of July 2021, 23:59 GMT
Winners announced: 6th of July 2021
SG[Egypt] 10th & 17th of July 2021
For any questions, please contact:
SGAC Scholarships Team Leads at [email protected].