Spanish Space Congress 2019 Competition
TEDAE, the leading Spanish Association in the promotion and development of Space, Aeronautics, Security and Defense technology companies, and SGAC are collaborating to support SGAC members to attend the Spanish Space Congress 2019 (Congreso del Espacio) on 9-10th of October in Madrid.
Application Deadline: 29th September, 2019, 23:59 GMT
The space sector is a powerful engine of development and economic growth worldwide, as well as a key enabler of transformation for society. In order to bring awareness to this reality, showcase the capabilities of the national industry and serve as a forum for dialogue integrating all actors, the first edition of the Spanish Space Congress will be held in Madrid on October 9 and 10, 2019. Promoted by TEDAE, accompanied by INTA (National Institute of Aerospace Technology), CSIC (Spanish National Research Council) , CDTI (Centre for the Development of Industrial Technology), Engineering Institute of Spain and Ministry of Defense as organising entities, the meeting will count with renowned professionals from industry, universities and public bodies, among other institutions.
But the gathering would not be complete without the participation of young space professionals and university students, who contribute to bring new perspectives to the discussion of the future challenges, opportunities and goals of the space sector in Spain. TEDAE and SGAC have teamed-up to further enable this participation by providing a scholarship to a SGAC member. The scholarship will be awarded through an essay competition. To participate, applicants must submit an essay (300-400 words long) covering the topic of one of the panels of the Spanish Space Congress:
- Space exploration: solar systems and the boundaries of the cosmos
- Earth observation: looking after the planet from space
- The satellite, key enabler for connectivity and development
- Satellite navigation: the great revolution
- Space, an additional scope of defense
- The future of space
The scholarship will cover the registration to the Space Congress 2019, which includes coffee and lunch in the networking areas, on 9-10th of October in Madrid. The winner shall be responsible to cover travel and accommodation expenses.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit your complete application using the Scholarship Submission Form.
Please submit your documents as unlocked PDF files. Your name should be included at the top of all pages. Your submission should follow the competition guidelines below.
Your applications will need to include a link to your 300-400 words essay written in English.
17th of September 2019
29th September, 2019, 23:59 GMT
2nd October 2019
9–10 October 2019
- The competition is open to all students and young professionals. Although there are no nationality requirements, please note that the Space Congress 2019 will use Spanish as the main language.
- Participants shall be SGAC members between the ages of 18 to 35 inclusive (up to the day of their 36th birthday) on 9 October 2019.
- The competition is only open to individuals. No team submissions are accepted.
- Competition organisers and judges are not eligible for this award.
- All submissions shall be made by 29 September 2019, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadlines will not be considered.
- The essay is due as an unlocked PDF document under 5 MB. It shall be submitted via the Scholarship Submission Form. You will need to be logged in as an SGAC member to access the submission page.
- The language of all submissions shall be English.
- The suggested writing format is: size 12 and Times New Roman as the font style, single spaced.
- Participant has to be the sole author and has to hold all rights to the essay. Essays must not be previously submitted to other competitions. All essays will be checked for plagiarism. Plagiarism of more than 10% will be disqualified.
- Participants may only submit one essay for the scholarship.
- Participants must NOT include their name or any kind of identification in their essay to allow anonymity for the purpose of a fair judging process. The judges will only receive the essays without your email contact.
- In case of lack of quality of submissions, SGAC has the right to extend and or cancel the competition.
Responsibilities of the Winners
The winning author shall:
- Attend the entire Spanish Space Congress 2019
- Submit a short report (1 pages excluding pictures) and a short video (1 minute) describing his or her experience at the congress for potential inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners, not later than 1st of December 2019
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit SGAC and all affiliated organisers to mention their names, affiliations and headshot picture in connection with the competition.
- Copyright of the submitted entry shall remain with the contestants. However, by submitting an entry all contestants agree that SGAC and all affiliated organisers are granted non-exclusive reproduction rights regarding all submitted essays. SGAC and all affiliated organisers may also present ideas and findings generated by this competition at relevant conferences.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the Spanish Space Congress 2019 is cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winning author, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend the Spanish Space Congress 2019 or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
Evaluators will include members of the SGAC team. The evaluation will be made based on the following criteria:
- Scientific Content and Detail (40%)
- Originality (40%)
- Description of Concept (20%)
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Coordinators ([email protected]).
SGAC would like to thank TEDAE for their support to run this competition. TEDAE is the leading Spanish Association for the promotion and development of the Space, Aeronautics, Security and Defense industries.
More information at: www.tedae.org
If you or your organisation is interested in providing talented students and young professionals with the opportunity to share their work and ideas with global space community, please contact competition coordinators (contact above).