Asia Pacific Space Leader Award 2023
The Asia Pacific Space Leader Award (AP-SLA) aims to recognise SGAC members for their contributions to the space field in the SGAC region of Asia Pacific as well as to provide opportunities to talented individuals to attend the 9th Asia Pacific – Space Generation Workshop (9th AP-SGW) to be held on 18th and 19th November 2023, in Bengaluru, India.
Embracing diversity is the cornerstone of SGAC’s principles. The goal of the Asia Pacific Space Leaders Award is to provide an opportunity for interaction between members of the space sector with diverse geographic and professional backgrounds. The AP-SLA provides funding support for the attendance of international delegates who bring unique and insightful firsthand perspectives to the 9th AP-SGW.
The winners will receive an award in order to attend the 9th Asia Pacific Space Generation Workshop.
This award will cover round-trip travel costs to attend the Asia Pacific Space Generation Workshop in Bengaluru, India via economy airfare, accommodation, and visa costs. Please also review the SGAC reimbursement form for what would be covered. The allocated amount of this award is USD2,000 which will be split amongst 3 winners.
The awardees will be presented with a certificate of award during the 9th AP-SGW.
How to Apply
Applicants will submit their application for the scholarship on the form below. Please note, in addition to the scholarship form, you must also complete a registration to attend the 9th AP-SGW. You can find more information about the 9th AP-SGW: here.
- The scholarship is open to all students, organizing team members, and young professionals whose country of residence is in the Asia Pacific (Please, check the SGAC Asia Pacific Region to make sure your country is on the list). Participants must be SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the age of 18 and 35 years as of the 19th of November 2023.
- To be eligible, applicants should have had at least some past contributions to SGAC, as volunteers, or attending SGAC events.
- Examples of contributions include: attending SGAC events, being a member of an SGAC event team, working with SGAC project groups, or being a member of the SGAC team including RCs, NPoCs, and Executive Office.
- Scholarship judges are ineligible for the award.
- Past winners of the AP-SLA or any regional awards are ineligible for this award.
- Winners should not receive support from any other source for the event. Should winners receive such support midway through the program, SGAC shall be informed and a solution will be sought.
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- Applicants will submit their application through the form at the bottom of the page.
- CVs can be submitted via Word document or pdf file uploaded in the application form.
- All submissions must be made by 27th August, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Responsibilities of Winners
- The winner shall:
- Attend the 9th AP-SGW in its entirety
- Submit a short report (1 page, excluding pictures) and a short video (1 minute uploaded onto YouTube) for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter, or social media and that of our partners. The report and video shall describe the experience of the winner at the 9th AP-SGW. For example, speakers that were particularly interesting, group discussions that stood out, or other event highlights.
- The award will be paid out after the AP-SGW 2023, no later than 30 days after fulfillment of all responsibilities listed above.
- The scholarship award reimbursement is conditioned on the awardee fulfilling the scholarship requirements no later than 20th December 2023.
- In case applicants receive funding for the 9th AP-SGW from any other organization, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage in any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where a competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
- Reimbursements will follow the SGAC Scholarships Travel Policy & Reimbursement Guidelines. Please make sure to consult the Guidelines before incurring expenses.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit SGAC to mention their names, affiliations, and headshot picture in connection with the scholarship.
- Organizers shall not be responsible in the event the 9th AP-SGW is canceled. SGAC will not reimburse the award winner, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- Organizers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend the 9th AP-SGW or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case, the award offer shall become void.
- Organizers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
- The award is not transferable to another event or individual.
- SGAC encourages travel insurance and the booking of flexible tickets and the possibility to cancel tickets in case of unexpected cancellation or change in plans occurs.
The assessment of applications for the Asia Pacific Space Leaders Award will be evaluated by a panel composed of SGAC Chairs, Executive Director, Regional Coordinators, Scholarship Team Members and the 9th AP-SGW Manager and Deputy Manager.
Evaluation is based on
Contributions to space sector
Contributions to SGAC
Reason to be selected for the Asia Pacific Space Leaders Award?
How would you leverage this opportunity to grow in the space sector?
What unique perspective do you bring to this Space Generation Workshop?
Review of applications
28 August – 10 September
Notification of successful applicants
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Team ([email protected]).