Malisetti Foundation Scholarship 2019
SGAC has partnered with the Malisetti Foundation to bring 1 delegate of Indian descent residing within the USA to attend the 18th Space Generation Congress (October 17-19) and the 70th International Astronautical Congress (IAC). (Oct 21-25) in DC, USA.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, May 15th 2019, 23:59 GMT
The Space Generation Congress (SGC) is SGAC’s annual meeting in support of the United Nations (UN) Programme on Space Applications. Top university students and young professionals with a passion for space will travel from all around the globe to attend three days of the 18th SGC. Up to 150 delegates will enjoy an inspiring and resourceful engagement with their peers at the congress, held in Washington, D.C., on 17 – 19 October 2019 prior to the 70th International Astronautical Congress (IAC). Delegates will gain exposure to perspectives on space issues from the world’s leading space organisations, including the International Astronautical Federation (IAF), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), and the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space (UN COPUOS). In demonstrating the symbiotic relationship, leaders from these space organisations gained fresh, innovative and bold perspectives from the incoming space generation.
By attending the Space Generation Fusion Forum, delegates will learn, share their knowledge, network with fellow students and young professionals in the space industry, and meet the industry’s leaders and experts.
All output produced by the Space Generation Fusion Forum is compiled into a report to be presented at the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space, as well as other conferences around the World.
The scholarship will support one student or young professional who is living in the US with an Asian Indian heritage to take part in SGAC’s Space Generation Congress. Participants are asked to submit a short essay (300 words) with their views on areas of collaboration in the space sector between the United States and India.
The award is a scholarship to help cover the costs incurred to attend the following events:
- The Space Generation Congress: 17 -19 October 2019
- The International Astronautical Congress: 21-25 October 2019
The award will partially cover the expenses up to a maximum amount of 1500 USD incurred to attend SGC (round trip travel via airfare, accommodations and the registration fees) and the scholarship winner also is free to use the grant to attend the IAC.
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to prepare the following documents:
- An essay delineating ideas for effective collaboration in space between Indian and USA (300 words).
- A CV of up to 2 pages
All submissions must be made by using the Scholarship Submission Form.
Please submit your documents as unlocked PDF files. Your name should be included at the top of all pages.
Your submission should follow the competition guidelines below.
- The scholarship is open for students and young professionals from Asian-Indian descent residing within the USA. This includes Asian-Indian Heritage students and young professional who are legally residing in the United States holding a visa or green card
- Preference will be given to students residing in the US with a visa and YPs working in the United States on a legal visa
- Participants must be eligible SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the age of 18 and 35 years as of the 6th of April, 2019.
- Applicants must currently live and work/study inside the United States.
- Competition judges and organisers are ineligible for the award.
- Winners should not receive support from any other source to the event. Should winners receive such support midway through the program, SGAC should be informed and a solution will be sought
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- All submissions must be made by Wednesday May 15th 2019, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Responsibilities of the Winners
- The winning shall:
- Attend the entire SGC 2019
- Support the running of SGC 2019 (as rapporteur or moderator or helping at the SGAC booth)
- Contribute to the SGC 2019 final report
- Submit a short report (2 pages excluding pictures) and a short video (1 minute) or write an article (including images) describing his or her experience at SGC 2019 and the 70th IAC for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners
- All responsibilities shall be fulfilled and reports etc. submitted not later 1st of December 2019. The video/ article shall not be submitted later than 4th of November, to be published on social media. In case the scholarship awardee(s) do(es) not complete the scholarship requirements on time, the scholarship funds will be transferred to SGAC general budget to continue supporting the mission and work of SGAC.
These tasks offer great opportunities such as being the rapporteur of a SGC working group and helping with writing a group report, being the front face of SGAC at the SGAC booth and meeting interesting people.
All responsibilities shall be fulfilled not later than 1st December 2019.
- The award will be paid out after the SGC 2019 and the 70th IAC, no later than 30 days after fulfilment of all responsibilities listed above.
- The scholarship award reimbursement is conditioned on the awardee fulfilling the scholarship requirements not later than 1st of December 2019.
- In case the winner receives funding for SGC or IAC by any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where a competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit the SGAC to use their names, affiliations, and headshot photo in connection with the scholarship. This also applies to the essay that is submitted: portions of this essay could be used for promotional purposes (the authors, of course, will be credited for the content).
- Copyright of the submitted entry shall remain with the contestants. However, by submitting an entry all contestants agree that SGAC and all affiliated organisers are granted non-exclusive reproduction rights regarding all submitted papers. SGAC and all affiliated organisers may also present ideas and findings generated by this competition at relevant conferences.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that SGC 2019 and/or the 70th IAC are cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winning author, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend SGC 2019 and/or the 70th IAC or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case, the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
- The award is not transferable to another event or individual.
Applications will be evaluated by a panel comprised of the SGC Manager and a representative from the Malisetti Foundation. The evaluation will be made based on the following criteria:
- Essay (80%): The following points will be assessed:
- Relevance to the topic
- General quality of writing
- Applicability to current topics discussed
- Applicant’s CV and past experiences (20%)
We look forward to your contribution and thank you for taking part in this space endeavour!
May 15th 2019, 23:59 GMT
Announcement of Results:
May 31st 2019
18th Space Generation Congress:
October 17-19, 2019
October 21 -25, 2019
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Team ([email protected]).