In an effort to highlight the beauty and inspiration that is intrinsic to the space sector SGAC’s Our Giant Leap and the SG[Egypt] organizing team have partnered up for an artwork competition! We are inviting artists from all domains (music, dance, paintings, poetry, theatre, sculpture…) to submit their original work under one or more of the following themes: “Lunar exploration”, “Diversity in the space sector” and/or “Space medicine”.
All participants in the call for artwork will see their work displayed at the artwork exhibition of SG[Egypt] and all contributions related to “Diversity in the space sector” will be featured in the second edition of the Our Giant Leap magazine (most likely to be published at the beginning of 2022) via link or QR code. In addition, the winner of the call will be announced on social media and get a chance to participate in SG[Egypt] 2021 Virtual day.
About Our Giant Leap
Our Giant Leap is an SGAC initiative that aims at encouraging gender equality and diversity in the space sector. We offer a networking platform for the space sector to utilize in order to break stereotypes and embrace diversity for the full palette of opportunity and ingenuity that it presents.
SG[Egypt] is the first-ever SGAC event in Egypt and aims to advance Egypt into the new space economy. The event provides a platform for national and international stakeholders and experts to engage in discussions with Egypt’s most talented space youth. The discussions will focus on topics that are at the center of Egypt’s space strategy, such as lunar exploration, diversity in space, and space medicine. It will also explore strategies and policies to help Egypt ramp up capacity building, address diversity gaps by increasing representation of minorities in the space sector, and build indigenous space capabilities. Our team is committed to supporting capacity building, strengthening international cooperation with key stakeholders, raising public awareness, and engaging students and young professionals in SGAC’s space-related activities in Egypt.
- The competition is open to all students and young professionals from any Member States of the United Nations.
- All participants should be registered SGAC members.
- All participants shall be of the age between 18 to 35 inclusive (up to the day of your 36th birthday) on 1 July 2021.
- The competition is open to individuals – no team submission is allowed.
- Competition organizers and judges are not eligible for the competition.
To apply, please submit your artwork using the online form below before 1 July 2021 23:59 GMT.
The submission will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- The artwork should include a reference to one, two or three of the following SG[Egypt] working groups topics to be considered:
- “Lunar exploration”
- “Diversity in the space sector”
- “Space medicine”
- All submissions shall be original creations.
- There is no limit to the number of artistic contributions per person. The participant shall just make sure that every contribution is different.
- All submissions shall be made using the online form provided above by 1 July 2021, 23:59GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered. The Selection Committee reserves the right to extend the competition deadline.
Each submission should include the following:
- Name and contact of the artist
- Title and a short description of the artwork
- Artwork as pdf, video, image or audio (max file size: 10MB)
All participants in the call for artwork will see their work displayed at the artwork exhibition of SG[Egypt] and all contributions related to “Diversity in the space sector” will be featured in the second edition of the Our Giant Leap magazine (most likely to be published at the beginning of 2022).
In addition, the winner of the call will be announced on social media and get a chance to participate in SG[Egypt] 2021 Virtual day.
The competition will be evaluated by 3 SG[Egypt] team members and 3 Our Giant Leap team members.
- 28 May 2021: Call for applications opens
- 1 July 2021: Call for applications closes
- 7 July 2021: Winners are announced
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit SGAC to mention their names, affiliations and headshot picture in connection with the competition.
- Copyright of the submitted entry shall remain with the participants. However, by submitting an entry all contestants agree that all affiliated organizers are granted non-exclusive reproduction rights regarding all submitted artworks.
- Organisers have the right to change the terms of the competition, including the number of winners and prizes.
For any questions, please contact: