SGAC is seeking a volunteer to join our Events Coordination Team as Regional Events Coordinator. The Events Coordination Team is in charge of overseeing the development of different local-level and regional-level events, and acts as the focal point, connecting the different team members of SGAC with these events. The open position is offering challenging, rewarding, and professional skill-building experiences. Be a part of the team that is leading and shaping the organisation!
Deadline for applications: 31st October 2023
About Regional/Local/Partnered/Endorsed Events and Webinars
SGAC team members have been organising events focused on specific topics or countries for many years now. Since 2014, SGAC has initiated a series of regional events, dubbed the Space Generation Workshops (SGWs), which aim to bring together SGAC members and regional space leaders to discuss topics of relevance to the respective region.
In 2015, SGAC introduced the SG[country] series of events as its format for local events. The objective is to discuss topics of relevance to the local space community.
Partnered Events are organised in partnership with another organisation or constitute a parallel programme to an existing event or conference. Most of the time, the whole event preparations (programme, invitations, delegates, promotion) is done in common agreement with the partner.
Endorsed Events are organised under a specific initiative promoted by other organisations. For instance, the World Space Week is held on October 4-10 annually. SGAC has continuously promoted and supported these initiatives by encouraging its members to organise events. These events are then supported by SGAC.
Since early 2020 – as a reaction to the COVID-19 pandemic – SGAC has put a lot of effort in encouraging and supporting its members to organise and host webinars, web-trainings, virtual conferences and more. The Events Coordination team is actively supporting and coordinating these various activities which help strengthen the community and allow SGAC to reach an even greater audience worldwide.
The Events Coordination team is responsible for supporting SGAC events by connecting the different event managers to the SGAC executive teams, as well as providing support for the event planning, preparation and execution. Team members are NOT responsible for directly organizing events, but work directly with the event managers to achieve successful events.
Position and Responsibilities
Regional Events Coordinator
The Regional Events Coordinator duties are as follows:
- Manage the Events Coordination Team Members alongside the Local Events Coordinator (the team is currently composed of 2 Events Team Coordinators and 3 Team members)
- Follow the planning of the Regional events, support and ensure regular communications with the Managers and Organising Teams
- Work closely with the Regional Coordinators and NPoCs to initiate Regional events
- Review of bids/proposals for Regional events and work closely with the Event Managers if bids/proposals need complementary information or need to be improved
- Connect the Events Managers with the PR and Communications Team, Web and Data Team, Scholarship Team, Regional Team, Treasurer and any other relevant Executive Office team and collaborate with them to ensure the success of the Regional events (in particular to ensure that the event stays on costs and schedule)
- Make sure all Regional events are of similar high quality/standards and comply with the SGAC mission, vision and set of rules
- Report directly to the Executive Director/Chairs about the operational activities related to the Regional events
- The Regional Events Coordinator will sit on the SGAC Executive Committee (as an appointed member). As such, the Regional Events Coordinator shall attend the Monthly Executive Committee meeting.
This is an appointed volunteer position. The appointment will be for 2 years with the possibility of renewal for additional 2 consecutive years.
The appointment will include a 1-month transition period with the outgoing Regional Events Coordinator, Mehdi Scoubeau.
Note: This is an unpaid volunteer position.
- SGAC membership: registration on the SGAC website, citizenship of a United Nations Member State and below 33.5 years of age
- Demonstrate leadership and teamwork experience
- Must be well organized and a self-starter
- Detail oriented, professional attitude, reliable
- Working fluency in English is required with an ability to communicate complex concepts with clear terminology and professionalism
- Responsive and quick email turnaround time
- Flexible for regular meeting (by Google Meet or Zoom)
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Word as well as Google Tools like Docs or Sheets
Having a good knowledge of the team structure and work and experience within the team or another SGAC team
- Meeting and working with young space sector leaders from around the world
- Have an opportunity to apply to attend United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space meetings and other conferences as part of the official SGAC delegation
- Building leadership skills and other skills that are directly translatable to your career
- Having a significant impact on SGAC’s image on the international stage
- Developing invaluable experience in managing a professional international team
- Opportunity to work with SGAC’s global sponsors
- Opportunity to work directly with the SGAC Executive Committee and Advisory Board
- SGAC team members receive discounts to attend SGAC events
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please complete our Vacancy Application Form by 31st October 2023 with the following documents as attachments:
- A Letter of Intent (maximum 1 page)
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- List of three past experiences and how they have prepared you for this role (maximum 1 page)
Only complete applications will be considered.
|1st October 2023
|31st October 2023
|Review of Applications:
|1st – 15th November 2023
|15th – 25th November 2023
|Announcement of Outcome:
|1st December 2023