SGAC4STE(A)M Photographer Grant
Are you a professional space enthusiastic photographer or a passionate hobby photographer? Yes? Then this scholarship is for you. SGAC is looking for an Event Photographer to capture the activities during the 19th Space Generation Congress (October 8 – 10, 2020) and the 71st International Astronautical Congress (October 12 – 16, 2020) in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
Application Deadline: 25th of April
The Space Generation Congress (SGC) is the annual meeting of the Space Generation Advisory Council always held in conjunction with the International Astronautical Congress (IAC) at the same hosting Country. The Delegates are ~150 top university students and young professionals with a passion for space. They are selected with a highly competitive application process open to our Space Generation international network. With SGC, SGAC aims to promote the voice of the next generation of space sector leaders on the topic of international space development.
By attending the Space Generation Congress (SGC), delegates will learn, share their knowledge, network with fellow students and young professionals in the space industry, and meet the industry’s leaders and experts.
All output produced by the Space Generation Congress (SGC) is compiled into a report to be presented at the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space, as well as other conferences around the World.
Purpose of the Grant
The goal of this grant is to offer a space passionate (hobby) photographer to capture the Space Generation Congress (SGC) and give her/him the chance to attend the 71st International Astronautical Congress (October 12 – 16, 2020) in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. We would like to promote media and art.
Requirements and short description
The applicants have to have their own photographer equipment and a portfolio with at least 10 pictures from events. Pictures from another SGAC event can be found here as an example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacegeneration/sets/72157711557909287/
The award is a scholarship to help cover the costs incurred to
- Attend the Space Generation Congress (SGC) on 8 – 10 October 2020.
- Attend the 71st International Astronautical Congress on 12 – 16 October, 2020
The award will be used to cover the expenses up to a maximum amount of USD 2,000 incurred to attend the 19th SGC and the 71st IAC (round trip travel via airfare, accommodations, visa costs, and the registration fees according to the reimbursement policy).
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to prepare the following documents:
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Your portfolio, or a link to it
- Short Essay (Max 300 words) on “How you plan to enhance the visibility of the event through your work”
All submissions must be made by using the Scholarship Submission Form.
Please submit your documents as unlocked PDF files. Your name should be included at the top of all pages.
Your submission should follow the competition guidelines below.
- Participants must be eligible SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the ages of 18 and 35 years as of the 8th of October, 2020.
- Participants must be amateur or professional photographers with good quality photography and editing skills
- Participants must be able to travel with their photography equipment
- Participants must not have received this scholarship before
- Competition judges and organisers are ineligible for the award.
- Winners should not receive support from any other source to the event. Should the winners receive such support midway through the program, SGAC shall be informed and a solution will be sought
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- All submissions must be made by the 25th of April 2020, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Responsibilities of the Winners
The winner shall:
- Travel with their own photography equipment;
- Attend the entire SGC 2020;
- Support the running of SGC 2020 by:
- Taking pictures of panels, sponsors, breakout sessions, group photos, networking events;
- Coordinating daily with SGC & Global SGAC PR&Comms Teams to release highlight pictures of the day;
- Providing the full set of pictures by October 30 2020.
- Attend the entire IAC 2020;
- Support the running of SGAC Activities during the IAC 2020 by:
- Taking pictures during SGAC co-organized GNFs / Receptions / Alumni and Evening events, and the SGAC volunteers at the booth. You can check here what SGAC did in 2019;
- Coordinating daily with the SGAC Team to ensure these events are not missed;
- Providing the full set of pictures by October 30 2020,
- After the event, submit a short report (2 pages excluding pictures) and a short video (1 minute) describing his or her experience at SGC 2020 and the 71st IAC for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners.
All responsibilities shall be fulfilled and reports etc. submitted not later than November 30th 2020. In case the scholarship awardee(s) do(es) not complete the scholarship requirements on time, the scholarship funds will be transferred to SGAC general budget to continue supporting the mission and work of SGAC.
- The award will be paid out after the SGC 2020 and the 71st IAC, no later than 30 days after fulfilment of all responsibilities listed above.
- The scholarship award reimbursement is conditioned on the awardee fulfilling the scholarship requirements not later than November 30th 2020.
- In case the winner receives funding for SGC or IAC by any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where a competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
- Reimbursements will follow the SGAC Scholarships Travel Policy and Reimbursement Guidelines. Please make sure to consult the Guidelines before incurring in expenses.
The Photographer shall remain the owner of its works and all related Intellectual Property Rights. It is expressly agreed between the Parties that no title or ownership with regard to the photographer works and all related Intellectual Property Rights and Know-how shall be transferred to the other Party as a result of the present document.
The Photographer shall grant to the SGAC a free of charge, non-exclusive, non-transferable license and worldwide license over the work. This license shall consist in right to use, reproduce and copy the work owned by the Photographer, for the duration of its corresponding Intellectual Property Right protection.
For the purpose of this section “Intellectual Property Rights” shall mean are any and all intellectual property rights, including all of the following and all rights in, arising out of, or associated therewith:
- procedures, designs, inventions, discoveries, and all Patents issued or issuable thereon;
- works of authorship, copyrights and other rights in works of authorship;
- mask work rights, but excluding trademarks, trade names, or other forms of corporate or product identification.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that SGC 2020 and/or the 71st IAC are cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winning author, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend SGC 2020 and/or the 71st IAC or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case, the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
- The award is not transferable to another event or individual.
Note: The Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC) is closely monitoring the evolution of the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). SGAC is preparing for potential eventualities that may arise from hosting the Space Generation Congress in the next few months. Since safety is our utmost priority, SGAC will decide on a case by case whether it is necessary to postpone or cancel a scheduled event based on the guidelines of health authorities and in coordination with our partners. For more information, please check SGAC Statement on COVID-19. In case the event is postponed or cancelled, a solution will be sought with the scholarship winner to either transfer or refund the scholarship.
Applications will be evaluated by a panel composed of the SGC Manager and a representative from the SGAC PR & Comm Team. The evaluation will be made based on the following criteria:
- Portfolio (50%)
- Applicant’s CV and past experiences (30%)
- Essay (20%)
We look forward to your contribution and thank you for taking part in this space endeavour!
1st of April 2020
25th of April 2020, 23:59 GMT
Announcement of Results:
15th of May 2020
19th Space Generation Congress
October 8 – 10 2020
October 12 – 16 2020
Questions related to the scholarship can be addressed to the SGAC Scholarships Team ([email protected]).