SGC 2024 Logo Competition – Space meets Art
Dabble in design? Have a little artistic flair? Looking to get your creative juices flowing? Love space? Then the SGC 2024 Logo Competition is for you!
Preparations for the 22nd Space Generation Congress to be held in Milan in October 2024 are already underway and this means one thing – we need your creative input! We are looking for a logo that will characterise SGC 2024 and be used on our promotional materials. This is your chance to design it!
The logo competition is open to all SGAC members and the winner will be awarded provisions for travel, accommodation, and registration to the Space Generation Congress 2024 and the International Astronautical Congress (if the winner is interested) in Milan, Italy. The scholarship is gently supported by the contribution of the ISS Crew Fund.
Deadline for applications: 10th August 2023, 23:59 GMT
What are we looking for?
Logo designs will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- The logo must include a reference to Milan, Italy, where SGC 2024 will take place.
- The logo should make a reference to space – we are SGAC, after all!
- The logo should be relevant to SGAC and in line with what it stands for.
- The logo should be simple enough to be able to be scaled down or up and still look good.
- The logo should capture the viewer’s attention and leave a positive, memorable impression.
- The logo should look equally good on the web and on print material.
Feel free to come up with something unique and think outside the box! We want to see something fun, creative and representative of SGC!
How to apply
Ensure you are eligible to submit a design by carefully reading the guidelines below.
- Make sure your logo design adheres to the SGAC Brand Style Guide.
- Enter your logo submission as a PNG or PDF file (under 5 MB). All submissions must be entered by filling in the Scholarship Submission Form.
- Submit your entry by 10th August 2023, 23:59 GMT for full consideration.
The winner of the logo competition will receive a scholarship in order to attend the 22nd Space Generation Congress and the 75th International Astronautical Congress in October 2024 in Milan, Italy.
The award will partially cover provisions for travel, accommodation, and registration for SGC until the maximum amount of €1500.
The scholarship is provided to the winner after all activities and responsibilities are satisfied.
- Participants must be SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the age of 18 and 35 years as of 30th of April, 2024.
- The scholarship is open to all students and young professionals from any UN Member or observer State.
- No previous design experience is necessary. The competition is open to all – from those who like to play around in MS Paint/Gimp/Photoshop/Canva, to those that are designers by trade.
- Competition organisers and judges are not eligible for this award.
- Winners should not receive support from any other source to attend SGC and IAC. Should the winners receive such support midway through the programme, SGAC should be informed and a solution will be sought.
- In the interest of spreading opportunities to more members, SGAC reserves the right to prioritise applicants who have not recently received another SGAC scholarship of a similar nature. “Recently” is defined as having received a travel grant in the past 2 years, in the same category (either international or regional/national) as this posted award. International awards include scholarships for international events such as SGC/IAC, SGFF and Space Symposium, while regional/national awards refer to events, such as the Space Generation Workshops (SGW), national space generation events (SG[country]) or other regional or national conferences. In the event that the SGC 2023 is forced to be held online, this scholarship will not be counted as an international travel grant, and winners are eligible to apply for another travel grant in the next 2 years.
Responsibilities of the winner
The winning designer shall:
- Eventually adapt the submitted designs during the review process
- Provide a high-resolution version in .ai or .eps format of the winning logo
- Attend the entire SGC and IAC 2024
- Support the running of SGC and IAC 2024 where needed. These tasks offer great opportunities such as being the rapporteur of an SGC working group and helping with writing a group report, being the front face of SGAC at the SGAC booth and meeting interesting people.
- Submit a short report (2 pages excluding pictures) and a short video (1 minute) describing his or her experience at SGC and IAC 2024 for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners
- The award will be paid out after the Congress and upon fulfilment of all requirements in a suitable manner as determined by the scholarship coordinators, including any report submissions and submissions of expense claims. It will be paid out no later than 30 days after the fulfilment of all responsibilities.
- In case applicants or the winning author receive funding for SGC and IAC 2024 from any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t notify the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage in any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant. Applicants are advised to purchase travel insurance and flexible tickets to cope in case of sickness or travel restrictions due to COVID-19. See also point 5 under liability on this matter.
- Reimbursements will follow the SGAC Scholarships Travel Policy & Reimbursement Guidelines. Please make sure to consult the Guidelines before incurring expenses.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit SGAC and other participating organisations to mention their names, affiliations, and headshot pictures in connection with the competition.
- The participants of this competition grant SGAC the right to use and reproduce their submitted logo design and utilize it in SGAC materials without restriction or compensation.
- By submitting their logo design, the participants warrant that the submitted logo design does not infringe upon the copyright or other rights of 3rd parties.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that SGC or IAC 2024 is cancelled.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend SGC and IAC 2024 or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in such a case the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents (visas etc). If such required documents are not obtained prior to planned travel, the award shall become void.
- The award is non-transferable and not valid for another event or individual.
- Following the Reimbursement Guidelines, in the event that the event or travel cannot take place due to unforeseeable circumstances (force majeure), including but not limited to illness, death, or weather, the Scholarship Holder will be responsible for trying to recover costs through any available travel insurance or trip cancellation insurance. SGAC may reimburse the remaining amount not covered by insurance.
Logo submissions will be evaluated by a panel composed of members of the SGAC Scholarships Team, the Executive Director, the Chief of Staff and the SGC 2023 Manager, based on:
- Reference to location (Milan, Italy)
- Compliance with the SGAC Style Guide
- Integration of SGAC brand based on the current SGAC logo
- Relevance, Impact, Scalability, and Versatility of the design
Entries accepted: Now!
Submission Deadline: 10th August, 23:59 GMT
Review Phase and Adjustments: 11th August – 30th August
Winner Announced: 31st August
Presentation of Design: 28th of September at SGC 2023
For any questions, please refer to the SGAC Scholarships Team: [email protected]
Looking for a little inspiration?
Check out the winning designs from previous years.
2022 Competition: Adarsh Arya logo for SGC 2023
2021 Competition: Niki Sajjad logo for SGC 2022
2019 Competition: Caroline Juang – logo for SGC 2021
2018 Competition: Francesco Scarcelli – logo for SGC 2019
2017 Competition: Caroline Juang – logo for SGC 2018