SGC 2022 – SGAC4STE(A)M Photography Grant
Are you a professional space enthusiastic photographer or a passionate hobby photographer? Then this scholarship is for you!
SGAC is looking for an Event Photographer to capture the activities during the 20th Space Generation Congress (September 14 – 16 2022).
Application Deadline: June 19th, 2022, 23:59 GMT
The Space Generation Congress (SGC) is the annual meeting of the Space Generation Advisory Council always held in conjunction with the International Astronautical Congress (IAC) in the same hosting Country. The Delegates are ~150 top university students and young professionals with a passion for space. They are selected with a highly competitive application process open to our Space Generation international network. With SGC, SGAC aims to promote the voice of the next generation of space sector leaders on the topic of international space development.
By attending the Space Generation Congress (SGC), delegates will learn, share their knowledge, network with fellow students and young professionals in the space industry, and meet the industry’s leaders and experts.
All output produced by the Space Generation Congress (SGC) is compiled into a report to be presented at the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space, as well as other conferences around the World.
Purpose/Goal of this Scholarship
The goal of this grant is to offer a space passionate (hobby) photographer to capture the Space Generation Congress (SGC) and give them the chance to attend both the SGC and the 73rd International Astronautical Congress (September 18-22 2022) in Paris, France.
SGAC, thought this scholarship, would like to promote media and art!
The applicants have to have their own photographer equipment and a portfolio with at least 10 pictures from events. Pictures from another SGAC event can be found here as an example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/spacegeneration/sets/72157711557909287/
The award is:
A scholarship to partially cover the expenses incurred to attend:
- the Space Generation Congress, on 14 – 16 September 2022
- the 73rd International Astronautical Congress, on 18 – 22 September 2022.
The award will be used to cover the expenses up to a maximum amount of USD 2,000 incurred to attend the two events mentioned above (round trip travel via airfare, accommodations, visa costs, and registration fees according to the reimbursement policy).
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to prepare the following documents:
- Your CV (maximum 2 pages)
- Your portfolio
- Provide a Paragraph (Max 300 words) on “How you plan to enhance the visibility of the event through your work”
Please submit your documents as unlocked PDF files and a link to your portfolio. Your name should be included at the top of all pages.
Your submission should follow the competition guidelines below.
- Participants must be eligible SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the ages of 18 and 35 years as of the 22nd September, 2022.
- Participants must be amateur or professional photographers with good quality photography and editing skills
- Participants must be able to travel with their photography equipment
- Participants must not have received this scholarship before
- Competition judges and organisers are ineligible for the award.
- Winners should not receive support from any other source to the event. Should the winners receive such support midway through the program, SGAC shall be informed and a solution will be sought
In the interest of spreading opportunities to more members, SGAC reserves the right to prioritise applicants who have not recently received another SGAC scholarship of a similar nature. “Recently” is defined as having received a travel grant in the past 2 years, in the same category (either international or regional/national) as this posted award. International awards include scholarships for international events such as SGC/IAC, SGFF and Space Symposium, while regional/national awards refer to events, such as the Space Generation Workshops (SGW), national space generation events (SG[country]) or other regional or national conferences.
It is strongly requested that applicants only apply if they are certain they can attend the SGC in person and be in the PAris at the time of the event in September.
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- All submissions must be made by the 19th of June 2022, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Responsibilities of the Winners
The winner shall:
- Travel with their own photography equipment
- Attend the entire SGC 2022
- Support the running of SGC 2022 by:
- Providing the following works (hereinafter “the works”):
- Taking pictures of panels, sponsors, breakout sessions, group photos, networking events;
- Shooting an event video to be edited and delivered after the event
- Coordinating daily with SGC & Global SGAC PR&Comms Teams to release highlight pictures of the day
- Providing the works by October 30th 2022
- All responsibilities shall be fulfilled and reports etc. submitted not later than October 30th 2022. In case the scholarship awardee(s) do(es) not complete the scholarship requirements on time, the scholarship funds will be transferred to SGAC general budget to continue supporting the mission and work of SGAC.
- The award will be paid out after the SGC 2022 and the 73rd International Astronautical Congress, no later than 30 days after fulfilment of all responsibilities listed above.
- The scholarship award reimbursement is conditioned on the awardee fulfilling the scholarship requirements not later than October 30th 2022.
- In case the winner receives funding for SGC or the International Astronautical Congress by any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage in any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
- Reimbursements will follow the SGAC Scholarships Travel Policy and Reimbursement Guidelines. Please make sure to consult the Guidelines before incurring expenses.
The Photographer shall remain the owner of its works and all related Intellectual Property Rights. It is expressly agreed between the Parties that no title or ownership with regard to the photographer works and all related Intellectual Property Rights and Know-how shall be transferred to the other Party as a result of the present document.
The Photographer shall grant to the SGAC a free of charge, non-exclusive, non-transferable license and worldwide license over the work. This license shall consist in right to use, reproduce and copy the work owned by the Photographer, for the duration of its corresponding Intellectual Property Right protection.
For the purpose of this section “Intellectual Property Rights” shall mean are any and all intellectual property rights, including all of the following and all rights in, arising out of, or associated therewith:
- procedures, designs, inventions, discoveries, and all Patents issued or issuable thereon;
- works of authorship, copyrights and other rights in works of authorship;
- mask work rights, but excluding trademarks, trade names, or other forms of corporate or product identification.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that SGC 2022 and/or the 73rd International Astronautical Congress are cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winning author, even if they have already incurred expenses.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend SGC 2022 and/or the 73rd International Astronautical Congress or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case, the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
- The award is not transferable to another event or individual.
Applications will be evaluated by a panel comprised of the SGC Manager and a representative from the SGAC Scholarships Team. The evaluation will be made based on the following criteria:
- Portfolio (50%)
- Applicant’s CV and past experiences (30%)
- Essay (20%)
We look forward to your contribution and thank you for taking part in this space endeavour!
June 19, 2022 at 23:59 GMT
June 20 – 26, 2022
Announcement of Results:
June 28th, 2022
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Team ([email protected]).