Australian Space Agency Scholarship 2022
SGAC has partnered with the Australian Space Agency (ASA) to bring one Australian to attend the 10th Space Generation Fusion Forum (March 19 [Virtual] and April 1-4 [Hybrid]) and the 37th Space Symposium (April 4-7) in Colorado Springs, USA.
Application Deadline: 13th of February 2022 23:59 GMT
Held annually at the scenic Broadmoor Resort in Colorado Springs, Colorado, U.S.A., in conjunction with the Space Symposium, the Space Generation Fusion Forum (SGFF) is a multi-day, high-intensity, fast-paced professional development and networking event focused on the global space industry. Students and young professionals from around the world, who are working and participating in all facets of the space community, apply to attend SGFF each year.
Through breakout sessions, expert panels, keynote presentations, and speed networking, SGFF delegates will “fuse” their unique perspectives and backgrounds to formulate solutions to global problems of interest and importance to the space community. By attending SGFF, delegates will learn from each other and from experts, share their knowledge, network with fellow students and young professionals in the space industry, and meet international leaders in the space field.
All output and content produced by the discussions held during the Space Generation Fusion Forum are compiled into a report for the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space. This report is presented at the Committee’s annual General Assembly and at other conferences around the world.
The award will support one person to attend the following events:
- 10th Space Generation Fusion Forum: March 19, April 1-4, 2022
- 37th Space Symposium: April 4-7, 2022
The award will partially cover the expenses up to a maximum amount of USD 3,000 incurred to attend SGFF and the Space Symposium. (Round trip travel via airfare, accommodations, visa costs, COVID related costs and the registration fees according to the reimbursement policy).
How to Apply
To apply, you will need to prepare the following documents:
- A 1 minute video: Topic – “How do you think Australia can leverage its skills to make the biggest impact in the space sector over the next decade?”
- A 1 page essay (max 300 words): Topic – ‘What do you consider one of the biggest challenges facing the Australian space industry and how would you go about solving it?’
- A recent resume
- Confirmation of Australian citizenship
All submissions must be made by using the Scholarship Submission Form.
Please submit your documents as unlocked PDF files. Your name should be included at the top of all pages.
Your submission should follow the competition guidelines below.
- The scholarship is open to all students and young professionals with Australian citizenship.
- Participants must be eligible SGAC members (registered on the SGAC website) between the age of 18 and 35 years as of the 4th of April, 2022.
- Competition judges are ineligible for the award.
- Winners should not receive support from any other source to the event. Should the winners receive such support midway through the program, SGAC should be informed and a solution will be sought
- The language of all submissions must be English.
- All submissions must be made by the 13th of February 2022, 23:59 GMT. Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
Responsibilities of the Winners
The winner shall:
- Attend the entire SGFF 2022 in person
- Attend the entire 37th Space Symposium in person
- Support the running of SGFF 2022 (as rapporteur or moderator)
- Contribute to the SGFF 2022 final report
- Submit a short report (2 pages excluding pictures) and a short video (1 minute) describing their experience at SGFF 2022 and the 37th Space Symposium for inclusion on the SGAC website, newsletter or social media and that of our partners
- All responsibilities shall be fulfilled and reports etc. submitted not later than May 4th 2022. In case the scholarship awardee does not complete the scholarship requirements on time, the scholarship funds will be transferred to SGAC general budget to continue supporting the mission and work of SGAC.
All responsibilities shall be fulfilled no later than May 4th 2022.
- The award will be paid out after the SGFF 2022 and the 37th Space Symposium, no later than 30 days after fulfilment of all responsibilities listed above.
- The scholarship award reimbursement is conditioned on the awardee fulfilling the scholarship requirements not later than May 4th 2022.
- In case the winner receives funding for SGFF or Space Symposium by any other organisation, the Scholarships Coordinators shall be informed. If the applicants don’t inform the Scholarships Coordinators, SGAC holds the right to not reimburse the winning author. SGAC aims to reduce the number of double scholarships and will work with the winners to develop a solution in these cases.
- Applicants are advised to not engage any expenses until they have formal confirmation that the competition has been awarded. The SGAC is not liable for any expenses incurred by applicants in any case where a competition is not awarded, or in excess of the value of the awarded grant.
- Reimbursements will follow the SGAC Scholarships Travel Policy & Reimbursement Guidelines. Please make sure to consult the Guidelines before incurring in expenses.
Copyright and Intellectual Property
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit the SGAC to use their names, affiliations, and headshot photo in connection with the scholarship. This also applies to the essay that is submitted: portions of this essay could be used for promotional purposes (the authors, of course, will be credited for the content).
- Copyright of the submitted entry shall remain with the contestants. However, by submitting an entry all contestants agree that SGAC and all affiliated organisers are granted non-exclusive reproduction rights regarding all submitted papers. SGAC and all affiliated organisers may also present ideas and findings generated by this competition at relevant conferences.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that SGFF 2022 and/or the 37th Space Symposium are cancelled. SGAC will not reimburse the winning author, even if he/she has already incurred expenses.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner fails to attend SGFF 2022 and/or the 37th Space Symposium or is unable to under extenuating circumstances; in that case, the award offer shall become void.
- Organisers shall not be responsible in the event that the award winner cannot obtain any necessary travel documents; if they are required but not obtained, the award offer shall become void.
- The award is not transferable to another event or individual.
20th of January 2022
13th of February 2022, 23:59 GMT
Announcement of Results:
20th of February 2022
10th Space Generation Fusion Forum:
April 1 – April 4, 2022
37th Space Symposium:
April 4 – April 7, 2022
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Team ([email protected]).