In its seventh year, Space Tech Expo USA (22 – 24 May 2018) continues to grow in Pasadena! As America’s engineering meeting place for space & defense technology, the exhibition draws attendance of thousands of industry leaders, decision makers, engineers, specifiers and buyers to meet manufacturers and the supply chain for civil, military and commercial space.
SGAC is partnering with Space Tech Expo USA for the second year to give an opportunity to two students or young professionals to share robotic or propulsion focused technologies and innovations they are working on as part of the Space Tech Expo USA Open Tech Forum.
15 February 2018, 23:59 GMT 1 March 2018 (extended)
Participants are asked to submit a short essay (300 words) summarizing the project they are planning to present at Space Tech Expo USA. The project needs to be focused on space propulsion or robotics. The submission is not a scientific article/abstract and is intended for readers with a general background.
The two winners will each receive a 20 minute speaking slot at the Space Tech Expo USA Open Tech Forum. However, airfare, lodging, and so forth will not be covered by this award.
- Submissions must be in English.
- You are asked to explain a project that you are working and planning to present at the Space Tech Expo in 300 words along with 1-2 images (maximum 2 pages). The target audience should be general public with some knowledge of space activities.
- In addition, we ask that you submit a CV (with date of birth and headshot photo) and a letter of intent highlighting:
- Why you want to attend the Space Tech Expo USA
- How you would share your experience during the expo with the public after the event
- The application package including the letter of intent, CV and essay should be submitted as a single PDF file via the Scholarships Submission Form. You will need to be logged in as an SGAC member to access this page.
- The scholarship is open only for students and young professionals (recent graduates or professionals under the age of 35). Participants must be SGAC members, between the ages of 18 to 35 inclusive by 24 May 2018.
- Scholarship organisers, and judges are not eligible for this award.
- All submissions must be made by
15 February 2018, 23:59 GMT1 March 2018 (extended). Any submissions after the deadline will not be considered.
- By submitting an entry, applicants agree to permit the SGAC and Space Tech Expo USA organisers to use their names, affiliations, and headshot photo in connection with the scholarship. This also applies to the essay that is submitted: portions of this essay could be used for promotional purposes (the authors of course will be credited for the content).
- Winners are required to write a short report describing their experience at the Space Tech Expo USA which will be showcased on the SGAC newsletter. In addition, they may be asked to write a short piece for a partner organisations publication on the technology they are working on.
- The evaluation will be made based on a point system taking following criteria and their weights into consideration:
- Description (how well and understandable is the project described) [30%]
- Originality (how original and innovative is the project) [20%]
- Background of the applicants (experiences highlighted in the CV and relevance to space tech expo themes) [20%]
- Motivation (what you expect to learn or achieve during the event) [20%]
- Dissemination (how you would share what you have gained from the experience) [10%]
- Entries accepted:Now!
- Submission Deadline:
15 February 2018, 23:59 GMT1 March 2018 (extended)
- Winner Announced:
1 March 201810 March 2018 (extended)
- Space Tech Expo USA: 22 – 24 May 2018
For any questions, please refer to SGAC Scholarships Coordinators, Nicole Chase and Michal Kunes at [email protected].
Space Tech Expo USA 2017 competition winners: Justin Park, Kartik Kumar
About Space Tech Expo USA
Space Tech Expo USA 2018
The West Coast’s premier space event returns to California for three days of knowledge sharing and networking alongside the largest supply chain exhibition of its kind, May 22 – 24, 2018.
With capabilities ranging from cryogenics, laser systems, materials, nanotechnology, imaging, environmental test, motion simulation, magnetics, capacitors, spacewire, NDT and connectors through electroforming, engineering services, precision machining, 3D printers, ground systems, mission management and reconnaissance satellites, Space Tech Expo 2018 will bring a multitude of networking opportunities through focused receptions and events for attendees and exhibitors throughout the commercial, civil and military space supply chain.
Space Tech Conference 2018
Returning with a powerful agenda, the 2018 conference is split up into three dedicated days: launch systems, satellites systems and future programs – key areas in the space industry that strengthen development of low-Earth orbit propelling us to the moon, Mars and beyond. The program addresses:
- Key areas of development and business opportunities in the space industry
- Technology roadmaps and development requirements for launch systems, satellite systems and exploration missions
- An outlook from young entrepreneurs, innovating and disrupting the space industry once again
- Supply chain opportunities for lower tier suppliers and small businesses
Space Generation Advisory Council members receive a 10% discount off Space Tech Conference passes – please use discount code SPCSGAC10 when booking your pass.